Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican773 View Post
Easier to meet ppl? I'm sorry no! Simply the freinds you make on you block plus there freinds plus there freinds? and thats not including work and school! Your network will blow up even when you start off with a small group of freinds. Chicago has more of an urban crowded city lifestyle while phoenix is more suburban. Hotter women? NO! Dont belive **** they say! Chicago has some of the hottest girl in america,plus everyone stays fit in shape out and about,walking,jogging,running,etc.Plus Chicago girls are from all types and flavors.Chicago is more diverse.In Chicago everything is around the corner no need for a car.Perfect 24 hour public transportation.
Blah blah blah.

The difference isn't as big as you think. Honestly if you remove whatever undeveloped desert in Phoenix and only count the area that actually is inhabited then the density goes up. What, do you think everyone in Phoenix lives on a ranch!? Give me a break.

Every American city has hot women. And no, Chicago does NOT have significantly anymore hot women than other major American cities.

If anything the cold, crappy weather for part of the year, and more of an emphasis on restaurants, bars, entertainment and less of an emphasis on outdoor activities mean that people in general on average are a bit less fit than in cities in warmer parts of the country.

Again, there is a greater difference in Chicago between those that are "hot" and those that are "not" Chicago may have more to offer than Phoenix, however you have to have a bit more upper middle class to take advantage of the best of what Chicago has.

And if you ever been to a major city in Europe, comparitvely does not have by any means "24 hours public transportation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Latinas? Chicago may certainly have the Puerto Rican population. But given Phoenixes southwest location, its basically equal as far as Mexican population goes. And may indeed have a larger middle class Mexican population than Chicago.

Chicago in certain respects is more divided between outstanding neighborhoods and neighborhoods that would be better off being vacated. Phoenix is possible a bit less divided like that.
Actually Tex, Chicago and (Chicagoland) has the 2nd largest Latino population of any city in America. We have the 2nd largest Puerto Rican population (NY is first) and 2nd largest Mexican population (LA is first). It has been like this at least since the 2000 census. In fact, we have several hundred thousand more people of Mexican descent than Houston (3rd) and Phoenix (4th).

Good points about everything else though. Def. agree you have to have a little more money in Chicago to take advantage of entertainment.

Last edited by chitown85; 04-29-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
I've never liked Phoenix in any capacity. I've had multiple family members there over the years and really gave the city/region a shot. But in my mind, the only advantages to Phoenix are cost of living and better weather half of the year (though I find the mid-summer weather there completely intolerable, the northern guy that I am). And if you enjoy mountain climbing or mountain biking, Phoenix certainly has better opportunities for those outdoor sports. For EVERYTHING ELSE, Chicago gets the nod.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
I have an old college buddy who lives in Phoenix, he's into motorcycles, brewing beer, seeing concerts, etc. and he constantly tells me how much he wants to move back to Chicago.

I think his general complaint is he says Phoenix is too much sprawl, and doesn't have the dense, walkable areas anywhere near Chicago's, in terms of night life. I haven't been there so this is just 2nd hand info.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Eventually Phoenix is going to have to urbanize. Probably not to the extent of the Midwest of East Coast, but it will happen within the next two decades. The federal gov't Bureau of Land Management decides how much land to release to the state/municipalities as it owns the majority of the land surrounding both the Phoenix and Las Vegas metros. With the economies in those cities virtually irrepairable for the time being, BLM will likely not release any more land for development for a while. If people want to build, it will turn into larger apartments and more densely built shopping centers.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Eventually Phoenix is going to have to urbanize. Probably not to the extent of the Midwest of East Coast, but it will happen within the next two decades. The federal gov't Bureau of Land Management decides how much land to release to the state/municipalities as it owns the majority of the land surrounding both the Phoenix and Las Vegas metros. With the economies in those cities virtually irrepairable for the time being, BLM will likely not release any more land for development for a while. If people want to build, it will turn into larger apartments and more densely built shopping centers.
Which is slowly happening.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
Phoenix for the hotter women, nicer climate, cheaper prices, and easier to meet people. The nightlife in Scottsdale is very enjoyable even tho it gets a bad rep.
Chicago for the true big city experience and better nightlife/music. These cities are very different but also have some similarities. Chicago is one of my favorite cities but i'm just not very fond of the midwest. It just feels like everybody who hangs out with each other were high school buddies. I really like the non-traditional people all coming from different regions thing going on in Phoenix.
Good luck in your choice both are very good options!
Well, if you knew PHX at all, all those people you proclaim to like so much are from, guess where? The Midwest.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Eventually Phoenix is going to have to urbanize. Probably not to the extent of the Midwest of East Coast, but it will happen within the next two decades.
The problem is that there are very few examples of new urban development that are successful. Nearly all of the great walkable cities and districts in the U.S. are remants of old development patterns. Even the much celebrated New Urbanist developments of Andres Duany have largely failed to reproduce the vibrancy of traditional cities.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM

I read in a news magazine a year or two ago that said that Arlington , VA is the prototype of the next American city. It is 200,000 people, with wide sidewalks, mixed residential/commercial use, and public transit oriented development,

Phoenix won't become like Chicago or Boston or DC, but you will see Phoenix's population density increase. They will have to expand public transit options. I think they have that light rail system in place.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 PM

I've been in Arlington recently, and it has certainly densified. There are "Transit-Oriented Developments" near Metro stops. But it still totally sucks compared to older neighborhoods in DC like Georgetown and DuPont Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago