Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What the hell is a dragon shirt?

Interesting to see someone who defends Naperville to the end on these boards compare it disparagingly to Austin.
I think it's one of those polo/bowling type of shirts with the dragon on the back of it or over the shoulder/chest.

Although, I have not seen one of those in a few years.

I have been seeing a lot of those affliction/MMA T shirts that the Chads and "bro" type crowd have been wearing. I may have spotted a dragon in one of those designs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM

97 posts, read 255,391 times
Here's a great option and it's just what we did...

ABF is a trucking company that has an operation in Bedford Park and they have the U-Pack service that we really enjoyed. The people were polite and easy to work with.

You have a couple options with them regarding shipping your items. One is using a container they provide and the second is using a pup trailer. Un/Loading either one can be done two ways, at the terminal or drop at your door. At your door cost was about ~50$ more at each end. As Drover said, PODS won't drop their containers within city limits, that's a Chicago thing, not the transit company's policy.

But damn, unless I typed in something wrong, the price for UPack is ridiculous. Let me find out how much it is from Austin TX to Bedford Park IL, that would be closer to what you would do. UHaul one way 17 foot truck is 600$ and there are smaller trucks than that. Figure 1200 miles though and you're talking 250$ in gas right there, MINIMUM, figuring 3.15$/gal average and 15mpg. I doubt those two numbers are close enough. UPack said 1150$.

Biggest dilemma you run into since the container won't be dropped at your door is that you'll still need another vehicle or rent a UHaul. If the UPack comes back at ~600$ like it was for us then it would make more sense to go that route.

I have a feeling none of that makes sense...

Last edited by JustinHaugens; 04-27-2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Adding a note...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 PM

425 posts, read 1,437,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
heh. i would echo the sentiments above regarding moving from austin to chicago but to each his own. i don't think the way the cold and wind in the winter affects how much people go out can be overstated. spring is great here because everyone is emerging from hibernation.
I moved to Chicago from Austin, and I don't think it can be overstated how oppressive the Austin heat is. The mercury hits triple digits in April (sometimes March) and stays there until September or October. By mid-June, the water in Lake Travis (a pretty large lake, over 150 feet deep) hits 90 degrees at the surface, so you can only imagine what the local swimming pool feels like. You become a slave to shade, air conditioning, and cold beer.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I think it's one of those polo/bowling type of shirts with the dragon on the back of it or over the shoulder/chest.

Although, I have not seen one of those in a few years.

I have been seeing a lot of those affliction/MMA T shirts that the Chads and "bro" type crowd have been wearing. I may have spotted a dragon in one of those designs.
I have to echo this comment; Austin is really just a slightly hipper, warmer version of Columbus OH. I would say Austin is MUCH BETTER than naperville by a long shot. When I visit my brother down in Austin, I notice just how cheesy and suburban it can be (in some parts of town, anyway...and I like where my brother lives). Yes the "dragon shirt" thing is real. It is a cheesy suburban fashion trend that started maybe 8 years ago or so. It may have been cutting edge or new 9 or 10 years ago. But as we all know, once "Pacific Sun" or "Hot Topics" finds out about the trend, they mass market it to suburbanites (teenagers living with their parents in mcmansions, and cheesy, unoriginal, red-bull drinking, fast-food eating guys, living paycheck to paycheck, either by themselves, or with roomates, in plastic cookie-cutter apartment complexes). Many parts of Austin are beautful and really interesting, including South Austin...but when you go to 6th Street on the weekend, all of the clubs either cater to 21 year olds, or they are really cheesy, you go in and you are surrounded by bad music and guys wearing white dockers and hiking boots.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
...Yes the "dragon shirt" thing is real. It is a cheesy suburban fashion trend that started maybe 8 years ago or so. It may have been cutting edge or new 9 or 10 years ago...
I had a dragon shirt like 13 years ago. But see, I was a rock star back then and my chinese zodiac symbol is Dragon.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 AM

5 posts, read 9,333 times
Hardly a puss Steve-O (awfully original name, by the way). Originally I am from Detroit, so I am used to frozen weather, escalating unemployment and rampant crime. However, I agree with druthedew on how the weather really effects life in the city. We're not talking about skiing or hiking in the hills here, we're talking about waiting for a damn bus for 20 minutes in 0 degree weather. The cityscape is also rather ugly during these months (grit, sludge). But most importantly, as stated, Chicago is a vibrant city, but not really so much in the winter. So, if I am a puss, so are 2.8 million others, because the streets are relatively dead for 6 months out of the year (the length of the Chicago cold season). FACT: It is May 12 and it is 48 degrees.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,511,521 times
Steve should say, if you're a puss and can't handle temperatures below 40 degrees for 4 months and many mornings where you get to shovel your car out of a space in your business clothes with dress shoes on while your boogers are freezing to your face all while your lips are chapped and bleeding from the dry-ness of the indoor air everywhere you go and the ice cold outside air waiting to greet you once outside, all while not having seen a sunny day in about a week then sure you are a puss. I admit, I am a puss. I HATE Chicago winters and springs for that matter as springs here are basically non-existant thanks to whats known as the "Lake Wind Season" (March-May) which makes springs for folks in the city just an extension of a dull seemingly endless winter with temperatures in the upper 40s to low 50s day after day.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM

25 posts, read 44,731 times
wow lots of posts. I didn't get any e mail alerts. Well I will be living in Wrigleyville. The house I will be living at has a garage. And rent is $300 a month. 2 blocks from the brown line and a few more from the red

I have lived in Austin for almost all my life and have taking great advantage of it while I've been here. I currently live in South Austin, south congress as a matter of fact. Right in the thick of hippsterness. Yes it truly is an amazing place, but its not for everyone. Its what you make it. 6th street is pretty bad. I try to avoid it as much as possible. If you know the right places you can easily avoid the dragon T shirts and rowdy college crowd. Yes summers are brutal. 90+ days of triple digits isn't easy. Nor is below freezing. So Ill be coming from one extream to the next.

I'm leaning towards packing my car with as many belongings and driving. I may not need my car but having one is always a plus. I can ship a few things UPS or Postal but I don't know how much that will cost. There is ONE small problem. A few years ago I got a nasty little DUI and am currently making monthly surcharge payments to keep my license. I called the Texas DPS and asked them how and if these payments would follow me to Chicago. They didn't have an answer. All of your input has been very helpful. What else yall got?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I hope the $300 rent is just for the garage.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsTx0521 View Post
wow lots of posts. I didn't get any e mail alerts. Well I will be living in Wrigleyville. The house I will be living at has a garage. And rent is $300 a month. 2 blocks from the brown line and a few more from the red

I have lived in Austin for almost all my life and have taking great advantage of it while I've been here. I currently live in South Austin, south congress as a matter of fact. Right in the thick of hippsterness. Yes it truly is an amazing place, but its not for everyone. Its what you make it. 6th street is pretty bad. I try to avoid it as much as possible. If you know the right places you can easily avoid the dragon T shirts and rowdy college crowd. Yes summers are brutal. 90+ days of triple digits isn't easy. Nor is below freezing. So Ill be coming from one extream to the next.

I'm leaning towards packing my car with as many belongings and driving. I may not need my car but having one is always a plus. I can ship a few things UPS or Postal but I don't know how much that will cost. There is ONE small problem. A few years ago I got a nasty little DUI and am currently making monthly surcharge payments to keep my license. I called the Texas DPS and asked them how and if these payments would follow me to Chicago. They didn't have an answer. All of your input has been very helpful. What else yall got?
I imagine that when you get here, you will want to go to the DMV and get an IL license. You will have to surrender your TX DL. Once you surrender it, I imagine that TX will stop charging you monthly payments for the license, but at the same time, I am not sure how IL does things for people who have had DUI's. They may charge you, or they may not. You may want to check if you will even qualify for a license (!!!). I am not sure. Thankfully I do not have that problem (another advantage to city living. When I drink, I do not have to drive anywhere! I just walk home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago