Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 33,481 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are looking for a new apartment in Chicago, but we are having trouble deciding where to live. Here is the main problem:

I work a pretty typical 8-5PM schedule, in an office right by O'Hare Airport. She works for a hotel on Michigan Avenue, with a typical schedule lately of 3-1130PM.

We need to live somewhere that is convenient to both and has public transportation options for her (I have to drive to work). Safety is obviously a concern, with her coming home around midnight most nights. A 1 bedroom is fine for us for now.

Anyone have any advice on a reasonable place to rent that works for both of us?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Where on Michigan Avenue will she be working? A difference of a few blocks could add as much as 20 minutes to her commute.

Obviously, some neighborhood along the CTA Blue Line and Kennedy Expressway would be most ideal. (I presume you intend to drive??) I'd suggest using the Irving Park neighborhood as your starting point -- that's about the midway point where each of your commutes are potentially tolerable. Much further southeast than that and the traffic snarls you face are more formidable; much further northwest than that and her commute to her job gets a little lengthy. But again, that will depend on exactly where on Michigan Avenue she'll be working.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Get an apartment along the blue line.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Irving Park, Avondale, Bucktown, Wicker Park. For Bucktown and Wicker Park, the traffic may get to you but you can always exist and take Milwaukee Avenue the rest of the way home. In the meantime, her commute will be much smaller, depending where on Michigan Avenue she works.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:57 AM

9 posts, read 33,481 times
Thanks for all the replies! She works on North Michigan by Water Tower Place. Blue line could definitely work for her. What about a good bus alternative?

Old 04-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Irving Park, Avondale, Bucktown, Wicker Park. For Bucktown and Wicker Park, the traffic may get to you but you can always exist and take Milwaukee Avenue the rest of the way home. In the meantime, her commute will be much smaller, depending where on Michigan Avenue she works.
I wouldn't want to drive up by O'Hare from Wicker Park during standard commute times. More the the point, I wouldn't want to drive home during that time. And Milwaukee turns into a snarled mess during rush hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoEE View Post
Thanks for all the replies! She works on North Michigan by Water Tower Place. Blue line could definitely work for her. What about a good bus alternative?
For her sake, I'd look around the Logan Square, Avondale and maybe the southern portion of Irving Park. Just be cautious about the area immediately surrounding the Belmont stop on the Blue Line -- it's a little rocky. Her best bet is to take the Blue Line to Chicago Avenue and then take the Chicago Avenue bus over to the Water Tower area. Both the Chicago Avenue bus and the Blue Line run 24/7, so the late hours shouldn't be an issue. Additionally, there are resources where she can get announcements on her cell phone about when the next bus is arriving at her stop(see CTA by text). That way she doesn't have to leave the hotel lobby until right before the bus arrives, so she's not standing out there by herself for up to half an hour waiting for a bus to arrive. And once she gets to the L platform she can hang out by the security guard (useless as they are but at least it something) until the train arrives if it makes her feel more comfortable.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 15,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoEE View Post
My fiancée and I are looking for a new apartment in Chicago, but we are having trouble deciding where to live. Here is the main problem:

I work a pretty typical 8-5PM schedule, in an office right by O'Hare Airport. She works for a hotel on Michigan Avenue, with a typical schedule lately of 3-1130PM.

We need to live somewhere that is convenient to both and has public transportation options for her (I have to drive to work). Safety is obviously a concern, with her coming home around midnight most nights. A 1 bedroom is fine for us for now.

Anyone have any advice on a reasonable place to rent that works for both of us?

Thanks!
Check out Jefferson Park as well. There are a ton of apartments for rent up there right now, and it is convenient to the blue line.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:51 PM

My concern with going as far Northwest as Jefferson Park is that the GF's commute gets pushed to an hour-plus. Probably quite a bit longer when she gets done with her late shift and the buses/trains aren't running very frequently. Under the circumstances I wouldn't be looking any further north than Addison.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM

104 posts, read 287,910 times
I would recommend Logan Square, around the California Blue Line stop. The area is great and it is just about an equidistant ride for you both. My wife and I live just a couple blocks from the California stop and absolutely love the neighborhood. She and I both work off of Michigan Ave., except when I have to go out to Schaumburg and even the drive out that way isn't all that bad.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Stay in the eastern part of Logan Square, toward Bucktown and Wicker Park, not toward Humboldt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago