Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 AM

756 posts, read 2,280,620 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been accepted to a graduate program at Northwestern and am in Chicago visiting at the moment. I've fallen in love with the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood - everything about it suits my personality, needs, and budget.

Having said that, I would be relying on public transport to get to Evanston every day... meaning that I would have to take the Blue line to the Purple/Red line to get up there. Would this be too much of a pain or too time consuming? I'll also add that part of the time I would be at a portion of NU's campus that is within the Loop, so that would be a fairly easy commute.

Additionally, I admittedly haven't explored too many other neighborhoods. Are there any neighborhoods similar to Wicker Park/Bucktown along the Purple/Red El lines that I should check out? Budget is extremely flexible (i.e., up to $2k for a one bedroom is an option, but not preferred), dog-friendly and safe areas a must.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
If you live near the Clybourn train station (which BTW is not actually on Clybourn Avenue) on the eastern end of Bucktown, you can take a Metra train up to Northwestern. It will drop you off about 3 blocks from the southwest corner of campus (Davis street stop). If you need to be up by the northern end of campus, there's a Purple Line CTA station literally right next to the Davis Street Metra stop that you can transfer to. Unfortunately, you'd have to pay full fare for both lines; there's no reduced transfer from CTA to Metra or vice-versa except downtown, and even then only during limited hours. You wouldn't be right in the middle of the Bucktown/Wicker Park action, but you'd have tolerable commute -- certainly more so than the commute you're proposing -- and you'd have quick access to the nightlife on the weekends.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,424,991 times
Drover's absolutely correct. The Metra trains from the Clybourn stop (Union Pacific North line, not the Northwest line), can get you to Evanston - Davis Street in 17 minutes on a regular non-express train, and as quick as even 11 minutes on an express run (probably not too many expresses to choose from though). And you can easily transfer to the Purple line up at Davis if necessary. The Clybourn stop is not too far from the Bucktown / Wicker Park neighborhood. Not sure which bus routes run near it, but certainly a cab could get you there very quickly.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:26 PM

The Armitage and Ashland buses go right by it. I gotta think the Armitage bus crawls during standard commute hours though.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,550,887 times
Otherwise, I've known people who did 72+Red+Purple lines, which is about one hour each way. If you end up biking to the Clybourn Metra, use a cheap bike -- that station is a prime location for theft.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,648,958 times
Christ, if this is not the 20th time this question has been asked!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,821,890 times
Wicker Park and Bucktown are cool and all... But not cool enough to get me away from the lakefront if I have to go to Evanston every day. The differences between Bucktown and Lincoln Park are largely superficial these days.

I realize that 20-somethings like to be defined by the neighborhoods they choose to rent in for a few transient years, but Christ man, just live close to school.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,648,958 times
^ I always choose to live as close to my job as possible and I am a 30 something single guy. If one does this it is possible to go without a car...^

Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 AM

756 posts, read 2,280,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Wicker Park and Bucktown are cool and all... But not cool enough to get me away from the lakefront if I have to go to Evanston every day. The differences between Bucktown and Lincoln Park are largely superficial these days.

I realize that 20-somethings like to be defined by the neighborhoods they choose to rent in for a few transient years, but Christ man, just live close to school.
It's not a matter of "cool" - I legitimately liked the neighborhood, and honestly, after walking around through Lincoln Park, I agree that the differences are minute. Being close to Red line is a huge plus too.

Additionally, like I said in my first post, I will be downtown in the Loop a few days a week, so the ideal situation is somewhere in between, i.e. Lincoln Park.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 AM

For the record, Northwestern's Chicago campus is not in the Loop, it's in Streeterville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago