Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times

Advertisements

Hey buddies!

I've just found this site and it's perfect for some info I need:

I've this layover in the O'hare for 8.5 hours. Ill be arriving at 1:10pm to Chicago ( Intl. term.) and then at 9:40pm I have to be in the terminal 3. The thing here is that I want to visit the wrigley field ( get in the field tour) I also want to visit the Willis tower and do some shopping I need ( watertower i think is the place) I know that that mall is in the downtown as well as the willis tower.. and the cubs home is a bit far from here.

I already looked at google earth the distances and the metro that i should take to go to all this places..

My question is... will I make it with time? is it possible to do all these visits that afternoon? What would you recommend me?? should I skip the willis toer or is a must see icon?

Thank you for your time!

best regards.

-ben.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,669,943 times
Mod please move this to the Chicago forum.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 PM

8 posts, read 12,873 times
Hi Doing two would be pushing it--I think all three would be impossible. Wrigley Field only gives the tours on certain days so i would check on that before planning on that. Willis Tower and Water Tower are a couple miles apart. All three are on public transportation (www.yourcta.com) The Hancock Tower is right next to Water Tower--and great views there in a clear day

Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 PM

209 posts, read 591,222 times
However you get from O'Hare to downtown, whether it's the el (metro) or a cab, you need to allow an hour for the trip to be on the safe side. It will probably be less by either method, but you can't predict traffic or train issues. So that leaves you with 6-6 1/2 hours to play with. That would be plenty of time to do both of the downtown activities and even walk between Willis Tower and Water Tower, which would be a mile and a half walk.

I agree that the Wrigley tour is going to be the sticking point. Figure out whether the tour is even available on that day and where the tour would fit in the 6 hours you will have (beginning, middle, or end). Middle would be the worst. Even if it's the beginning or end, going to both Wrigley and downtown is going to cost you more either more time or more money (if you take a cab to save time).

Going to the Hancock observatory is a good suggestion. If you prefer Willis over Hancock, you might be able to do your shopping without going all the way up to Water Tower. Just a 5-10 minute walk from Willis Tower is State Street, where you'll find a giant Macy's, Old Navy, Nordstrom Rack, Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx, and other stores. You could shop there instead of Water Tower and be able to hop on the Red Line el on State Street that takes you to the front door of Wrigley.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times
thank you all, I've seen the wrigley field site and the day im arriving is possible to take the tour... so I think that just getting out from the O'hare Ill run up to the wrigley... then i'd like to go to the hancock place.. theres a store ( the northface) id like to step over, then if i have enough time walk around or catch a nice view from the willis or hancock tower.

Thanks for your help!

regards.

-Ben.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago