Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 AM

131 posts, read 145,621 times

Advertisements

Winters are from Nov thru Feb, Early march can be cold but changes fast, we've already have had 3 80 degree tempertures in April and a hand full of 70s.Summers are from May to September.It ain't that cold,people exaggerate and yes you are right people here do things late at night, a 24 hour city, reason why im typing at 2AM. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 AM

It's not that rainy ether,......people with there climate problems,they hate it when its cold,they hate it when it too hot.....smh,it's just whether people,you get used to it.No earthquakes,firestroms,hurricanes,landslides,dust stroms,smog,tsunamis,etc.

Last edited by HumboldtParkRican773; 04-27-2010 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 AM

Chicago has all four seasons,cold,cool,warm,hot.

Last edited by HumboldtParkRican773; 04-27-2010 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: Missed spelled word.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 AM

58 posts, read 170,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican773 View Post
It's not that rainy ether,......people with there climate problems,they hate it when its cold,they hate it when it too hot.....smh,it's just whether people,you get used to it.No earthquakes,firestroms,hurricanes,landslides,dust stroms,smog,tsunamis,etc.
I don't mind the rain but compared to California, IL is rainy.

Also while it does get that cold it might not feel that cold to a local. I mean personally 30 degree is nothing to me. But if you are used to a low of 50, when the teen temps hit it is a bit shock. I am by no means trying to discourage you from coming. I just want to inform you of the situation my mom encountered when she made a similar move. You can get used to it but be warned this isn't Florida nor is it Northern Wisconsin.

When winter does arrive I would suggest a nice good jacket winter jacket, gloves, and hat still the same. Granted if you won't spend much time outside this won't be a problem and you probably can find any of these things this time of year (even here) anyways.

At any rate welcome to the Land of Lincoln and Obama and the birthplace of Regan. Yeah we rock this President thing. It's just our governors that have been bad.

This thread is a general thread about IL weather. Perhaps it will help you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/illin...er-thread.html

Last edited by ABiologyTeacher; 04-27-2010 at 01:46 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 01:47 AM

5 posts, read 7,579 times
Again thanks for the heads up everyone.

I am more concerned about my wife and daughter, obviously we will not be going out much in the winter with an infant, I dont like this idea but my daughter will be seven months by the time winter comes rolling around, is it possible? Has anyone faught this battle already? Yea before we make the move we are getting rid of a lot of excess clothes and going winter shoping, whats a must to have out there during winter?

Wool Jackets, Scarfs, Gloves, Ear Muffs, Beanies and etc. I guess some snow boots too! Keep the advice coming my soon to be fellow Chicagoians, you will soon see my providing free coffee at some of the Metra CTA train stations, Chicago needs a little more love.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezek413 View Post

I am more concerned about my wife and daughter, obviously we will not be going out much in the winter with an infant, I dont like this idea but my daughter will be seven months by the time winter comes rolling around, is it possible? Has anyone faught this battle already? Yea before we make the move we are getting rid of a lot of excess clothes and going winter shoping, whats a must to have out there during winter?

Wool Jackets, Scarfs, Gloves, Ear Muffs, Beanies and etc. I guess some snow boots too! Keep the advice coming my soon to be fellow Chicagoians, you will soon see my providing free coffee at some of the Metra CTA train stations, Chicago needs a little more love.
You may be surprised at how much you end up going out in the winter . Hats are key. Also, I would get my serious winter gear in Chicago not California. Unless you buy through the internet. A Ca. winter jacket does not equal a Chicago winter jacket.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezek413 View Post

I was born in January. I survived. You just need to make sure she has layers and put a good blanket over her carrier. In freezing temperatures exposed skin is dangerous on adult. Please do not be like the morons I see in below freezing temps that take their kids out without a jacket or young babies without a blanket over their carrier. They do have carriers that close completely. Just watch the weather and avoid exposing your daughter to the outside climate as much as possible.

I suggest gloves for you and mittens for you daughter (the ones that clip to the jacket), a lighter jacket, fleece pull overs, scarves, earmuffs, and hats for all.

You don't have to wear all of this at once but a heavy jacket, scarf, gloves, and hat are pretty essential for winter here.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
You may be surprised at how much you end up going out in the winter . Hats are key. Also, I would get my serious winter gear in Chicago not California. Unless you buy through the internet. A Ca. winter jacket does not equal a Chicago winter jacket.
Agreed. You'll adjust and by the next winter you'll might be going out in only a light jacket when it is 30 or 40 like the rest of us. Just cover up the little one.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 19,982 times
Why won't you take your infant out in the winter? You dress her in a snowsuit hat mittens and go on your way! Dont' worry, she won't turn into a popsicle And BTW, I am moving back to Chicago from San Diego...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABiologyTeacher View Post
I was born in January. I survived. You just need to make sure she has layers and put a good blanket over her carrier. In freezing temperatures exposed skin is dangerous on adult. Please do not be like the morons I see in below freezing temps that take their kids out without a jacket or young babies without a blanket over their carrier. They do have carriers that close completely. Just watch the weather and avoid exposing your daughter to the outside climate as much as possible.

I suggest gloves for you and mittens for you daughter (the ones that clip to the jacket), a lighter jacket, fleece pull overs, scarves, earmuffs, and hats for all.

You don't have to wear all of this at once but a heavy jacket, scarf, gloves, and hat are pretty essential for winter here.

, heavy coats,jackets, scarfs, mittens, etc? lol It isn't the north pole! I rock hoodys all winter long, and sometimes those light black gloves! Smh It's not like your gonna die from the cold. It's all fun and games,snow balls fights while it lasts! .....but it's all most May,we've already had four 80 degree temps plus alot of 70s. The rest of the weekend it's gonna be from 70s-80s! Winter is long gone! Fun in the sun, on a more serious note,it's basicly summer and were still taking about how Chicago's winters are SO bad, c'mon now, it aint THAT bad when 10 million people live in Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago