Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,814 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I would like to know what I should do...

I have 5 year old twins whom I want to attend South Loop Elementary. (My alternative to Private School- a free diverse school in a "nice" area) I currently DON'T reside in this school district, so I would need to move (in the vincinity?) to be able to enroll my children. I currently live in the Bronzeville area ($1,350 per month 2bd 2bath).

I hope to find a job downtown- and quit my job in the far South suburbs.

I have been browsing Craig's List EVERYDAY looking for rentals - I am not interested in buying. I found a 3 bedroom, 2 bath (which I want to get a 3 bedroom at this point as I don't foresee moving again for a LONG time) near 600 S. Federal street- The rent is $2,000 a month and does not include parking or any utilities, nor washer/dryer in unit- though they have washing facility in the building.

I understand the going parking in this area is near or about $225 a month- which I will also have to factor in as I have a car- which I can not get rid of, because for now, if I am able to move in this area, I will have to commute every day to Homewood, Illinois for work- which is 54.6 miles a day- or 1 hour or more in travel each way...So I am also diligently looking for jobs downtown right now.

(Still with me?! Sorry for the length- just trying to paint a complete picture- I need real help and advice).

My income-

I have a military grant- which entitles me to $1,760 per month in basic housing allowance. (up to 36 months)- as long as I am enrolled in school- Harold Washington college right now- which is ALSO in this area...

My NET pay from work is $3,250 without fail. Usually more as I get in 1 day of overtime per week- but usually not less than this amount.

My court ordered child support is $800 without fail- Non custodial has never been late, and always pays on the 1st of the month- since ordered in 2007.

= $5,810 MONTHLY take home.

Once my children start kindergarten I will be able to save the $1,000 I pay in child care- of course contingent upon the after school program I plan to enroll them in. So many variables...

All of this is to say- do you think I can afford the $2,000 per month rent? And the $225 parking, additional gas to commute to work- til I find a job in the area. I am so lost as to what to do. I know I should look for 30% of income- which is about $1700 or so- but no 3 bedrooms in this price range- that I have saw anyway.

I want to quit my job in suburbs, and establish roots in this area. I don't want to move anymore for a while after this move- where ever I move- stability since children are starting school, nice.

Please write back to me how you would proceed. I am a single parent, with limited "help" and "support" as far as people to assist with dropping off and picking up twins, watching them etc.

If you have any useful info please contact me and let me know. Schools, jobs, etc.

I work in transportation but I have a strong background in Senior/Upper level Administrative work.

Just trying to get my life together! HELP! I am 25 with no solid plan

Ideally I would like to get a rental with all utilities included in the monthly rent (washer/dryer in unit, basic cable, internet, gas). So I would just have to worry about parking, and electric and after school child care.

I would like to be moved and situated by July 1st if possible. So I have limited time to get this together.

Sorry its all over the place- but if you haven't guessed, I FEEL OVERWHELMED...

Thanks in advance,

Confused and Unsure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:01 PM

143 posts, read 441,116 times
yes. u can and NOW get on to it!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,385,263 times
Just wondering? Why not live in Homewood? You're hoping to get a job downtown, but what if you don't? To have two small children all the way in South Loop at school, with you working in Homewood, that could be an issue.

It just seems like an awful lot of things hanging onto many maybe's, which equals too much stress!! What if for whatever reason you don't stay in school? Then you lose the housing grant. What if your ex, though dependable as he has been, looses his job and as much as he wants to pay, can't pay? Too many variables.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 9,040 times
I live in the South Loop, about two blocks from the school you want to enroll your kids in (I can see the school from my apartment window). I also work in the far south 'burbs - in South Holland. I don't drive though; I take the metra electric line and ride my bike. Works for me, and I've been doing it all winter.

Taking the train/bike probably won't work for you (it's easier to live car free when you don't have kids, but not impossible), but I wanted to put that out there anyway.

Good luck finding a place. The neighborhood is a great place.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,814 times
Thanks for the comments.

@OldHouseGirl- I really want to raise my twins in Chicago- preferably the South Loop area- as I love the area, atmosphere and the fact that everything that I like to see and do is all near each other- restaurants, shopping, theaters, etc... as well as all the things I always take my twins to do: Zoo, Shedd, Field Museum, etc.
I actually lived in Chicago Heights (had a 10 minute ride to work), and I opted to move to the city for the exuberance, fast pace, etc. I felt alive, more upbeat and happier- I am glad I did it... Even though I am a parent, I am still young, and I just feel that my quality of life will be happier and better in the city- thus I will be a happier, better mom for my twins.
I was raised in the city and I just love the city- esp. Chicago. I love my city and its where I want to be. I don't know if thats a good reason or not. I am prior service military and I have moved alot- now that my twins are starting school I want to pick a place and location that I am in love with and just stay there. I also just want a change from my "career". I don't want to get trapped into the "career" that I have going now- I don't want to get vested, invested, etc. and feel like well, I already have 10, 13 years in, I may as well stay. I am in a union job, maxed out on pay advances, totally uninterested in a management position and I feel like if I stay at this company thats what will happen to me. Stuck in a rut- doing something I hate. So school for me and them, and moving is my little remedy to start clawing and digging myself out before it happens.

Molly! I actually have found a 3bed2bath rental on Plymouth street for $1895 on CL- I am supposed to go look at it Thursday. I love that area- and I really want to live there...but I'm just trying to weigh everything out. I don't mind the commute- I want to find a new job (in the city preferably) no matter what happens. I just wanted to know what others thought. I already commute from Chicago to Homewood everyday- so tacking on 10 or 15 more minutes does not really bother me- esp knowing I will be HAPPY!... I also travel to South Holland almost everyday, as my Mom lives there...

I know that the seemingly easy answer would be to move to South Suburbs area where my job and mom are... But I am so NOT HAPPY with my job- I feel trapped by the money, and by the fact that I make over 60k and only have a HS Diploma (I am very thankful for my job) It is fast paced and high stress- when you turn into the parking lot and your stomach starts to hurt, maybe that's not the place for you...I have 0 interest in what I am doing...I really want to stick to my plan of going back to school once my twins start- esp. since I can go 100% for free...The housing allowance, that I did not even know about is an added bonus...

I definitely don't want to NOT take a chance on trying to capture what I feel would be going towards living my best life right now.

I don't want to be foolish about this though- that's why I am trying to get an unbiased persons' opinion. To me I see it all as positive opportunites lining up for me. I want to seize them, and not let them pass me by...but maybe I see it that way because its what I (think/know) I want....

Thanks!

Last edited by DwnTwnChgo02; 03-29-2010 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago