Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 PM

34 posts, read 67,296 times

Advertisements

So here's my dilemma. I'm a grad student and have classes downtown three evenings during the week. My job is near the Hoyne area.

I found two great options for apartments in Rogers Park. 1) 2bd/2bath for $990 a month and 2) 2bd/1ba for $950 a month. I'm from the south where you can get renovated apartments with a modern look, in-unit washer/dryer for less than $800 per month so it's EXTREMELY important for me to have a nice place; not something that looks 30 years old, which is what I see a lot since my search. So this is a great deal HOWEVER the area is not near a bus stop or a train line. They are both several blocks away. The area has a neighborhood feel so there aren't any businesses/stores/gas stations near the apartment.

On the other hand, I found a place near downtown that is more ($1100) 2 bd/1bath but the feel is NOT modern. It's an older unit in a building that is decent but definitely NOT better than what I found in Rogers Park. The washer/dryer is in the basement of the building whereas I can have the luxury of doing my laundry from inside my apt at Rogers Park.

So in your opinion would you rather take a longer commute to work/school and pay to live in a nice apartment or take a shorter commute and get a not so great apt?

By the way, I have a car that I'll be bringing up in a couple months but there is no parking area at the train stop to leave it if I wanted to use that as alternative to avoid the long walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,005,027 times
Well you wont be driving downtown and I doubt that you will have somewhere to park in downtown for that price. I would look elsewhere for a cheaper apartment nearer to a train line or give up the car and move downtown.

In general I would take shorter commute over newer apartment esp. if you are going between downtown and Roger's park. However if I were you I would look elsewhere. You can find cheaper, closer or more convenient elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
What does "near the Hoyne area" mean? Hoyne is 20-some miles long.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What does "near the Hoyne area" mean? Hoyne is 20-some miles long.
I'm recently hired and new to the area however its on W Chicago Ave.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,450,066 times
haha, 30 years old. that's awfully vintage.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Well you wont be driving downtown and I doubt that you will have somewhere to park in downtown for that price. I would look elsewhere for a cheaper apartment nearer to a train line or give up the car and move downtown.

In general I would take shorter commute over newer apartment esp. if you are going between downtown and Roger's park. However if I were you I would look elsewhere. You can find cheaper, closer or more convenient elsewhere.
Thanks for your input.

I've been reading up on the Rogers Park area in old threads on this forum and I'm reconsidering it all together despite the look and price for the condo. These condos are near the Jarvis red line (Greenview Ave & W Jonquil Ter) and there seems to be a unanimous opinion on there that it isn't a good area. My safety is my first priority.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
haha, 30 years old. that's awfully vintage.
lol, I was exaggerating however it seems the norm here for an okay looking apartment is the exact opposite of Charlotte and Atlanta. But I digress .. it's the city and I should expect this.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpearls10 View Post
I'm recently hired and new to the area however its on W Chicago Ave.
So if I understand you correctly, your job around Chicago and Hoyne. That being the case, basically you'll be bouncing back and forth between downtown and Ukranian Village. I wouldn't bother looking for apartments all the way up in Rogers Park. Living up there will be massively inconvenient, especially when trying to get to your job. If I were you I would be looking for places near the Damen Blue Line stop. That way the train can take you downtown for school and the Damen bus can take you down to Chicago avenue for your job.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So basically you'll be bouncing back and forth between downtown and Ukranian Village. I wouldn't bother looking for apartments all the way up in Rogers Park. Living up there will be massively inconvenient, especially when trying to get to your job. If I were you I would be looking for places near the Damen Blue Line stop. That way the train can take you downtown for school and the Damen bus can take you down to Chicago avenue for your job.
I agree. I'm researching apartments in that area as we speak.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:22 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,005,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpearls10 View Post
Thanks for your input.

I've been reading up on the Rogers Park area in old threads on this forum and I'm reconsidering it all together despite the look and price for the condo. These condos are near the Jarvis red line (Greenview Ave & W Jonquil Ter) and there seems to be a unanimous opinion on there that it isn't a good area. My safety is my first priority.
The area is ok. There are some rough spots but not 100% ghetto. That being said it is not convenient for you in terms of work and school. You need to be elsewhere.

Where ever you pick make sure you have somewhere to park your car if you are bringing it. Parking in some areas can be a headache and near the Damen blue line stop is somewhat one of them(not as bad as Lincoln park thou...).

Last edited by chirack; 03-26-2010 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago