Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 PM

43 posts, read 137,533 times

Advertisements

Hello. It's me again (the Northbrook guy). Unfortunately, my housing situation has changed. So, I'm looking for a Roommate in Chicago.

Anyway long story short, I posted an ad on Craigslist (Chicago) under "rooms wanted" and got a message from an attractive female asking me to become her room-mate. She isn't asking me to send her a deposit or anything but she's is requesting that I email her back MY credit score and contact info because that is how business is done in Chicago... this looks like an obvious hustle but how can I legitimize emails?

Second, are there any local apartment/room-mate sites that you can point out? Thanks again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
You could try Chicago Reader or Roommates.com

Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisha2k View Post
Hello. It's me again (the Northbrook guy). Unfortunately, my housing situation has changed. So, I'm looking for a Roommate in Chicago.

Anyway long story short, I posted an ad on Craigslist (Chicago) under "rooms wanted" and got a message from an attractive female asking me to become her room-mate. She isn't asking me to send her a deposit or anything but she's is requesting that I email her back MY credit score and contact info because that is how business is done in Chicago... this looks like an obvious hustle but how can I legitimize emails?

Second, are there any local apartment/room-mate sites that you can point out? Thanks again.
Your credit score would be totally worthless to her without your actual credit report and a copy of your driver's license to authenticate it. No way in hell I'd do that, especially to someone who e-mails you a picture of a Russian hooker or whatever it was that caused you to conclude "she" was attractive. If she just wants your credit score and contact info, that sounds pretty darn weird to me. I'd take a pass.

Craigslist and the Reader are hit or miss for roommates. I got a good set of roommates one year while in school from the Reader (pre-Craigslist days!), but definitely met some oddballs along the way. You've got to make sure you meet any prospective roommate in person, and not in an abandoned warehouse at 9:00 p.m. on the far southwest side either. Use common sense.

Good luck and be careful! We don't want you to end up in the trunk of a car out in an O'Hare long term parking lot.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
Instead of posting for a room wanted why not look in the rooms offered section? I found a large room in a great flat in Andersonville for a friend for $375

Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Yes be VERY careful using Craigslist or even the Reader. CL, nowadays, is full of con artists and scammers. It is sad, because CL used to be a great site. There are several scams going on to watch out for:

1. Security Deposit scam, where someone gets access to a new construction condo, that they do not own, and shows it to prospective tenants via CL. The unit is nice and at a rediculouly low rate. They collect security deposits from mutliple applicants as well as first months rent (all in the form of cahiers checks), then you never hear from them. They run around town, cashing the cahsiers checks at local branches, getting physical currency, then skip town. usually, someone in the cosctruction biz, who helped build the condo itself, gets a set of keys and makes copies, then gives it to the fake realtor, That is how the scam starts.

2. You are a landlord and you list a unit for rent. You get calls or emails from people claiming to work in another state/country/works on a cruise line or some other reason, for which they cannot see the unit right away. They "need a place" and are willing to send you a cashiers check. But they ussually send more than they are supposed to, and ask you to wire the excess funds back to them. They are hoping that you wire the funds immediately, before you realize that the bank check is a fake.

So beware!

Old 03-19-2010, 03:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Instead of posting for a room wanted why not look in the rooms offered section? I found a large room in a great flat in Andersonville for a friend for $375
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: