Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 AM

49 posts, read 137,976 times

Advertisements

we all have to know that there are two "Rogers Park"; East Rogers Park and West Rogers Park (also known as WestRidge). The West Rogers Park is a much safer and better neighborhood (located west of Ridge road, south of Howard street); it is a middle to upper middle class neighborhood.
Check out wikipedia on westridge for more info: Rogers Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:51 PM

202 posts, read 271,037 times
In response to the assertion that "Rogers Park is likely to be far too much in terms of urban culture shock for those new to urban dwelling," my experience, just to throw out there, was in moving to Rogers Park straight from a lifetime of dwelling exclusively in communities of (in some cases, well) under 10,000 residents. I found it wonderful, a culturally rich and vibrant community, and didn't experience any culture shock at all. I lived in East Rogers Park, and and worked in both East and West Rogers Park, and it was actually my most positive, enjoyable urban living experience, truthfully. I don't think it's a bad place for the uninitiated to stick one's toe into urban living, at all. Just my two cents.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:42 PM

43 posts, read 74,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenboy View Post
we all have to know that there are two "Rogers Park"; East Rogers Park and West Rogers Park (also known as WestRidge). The West Rogers Park is a much safer and better neighborhood (located west of Ridge road, south of Howard street); it is a middle to upper middle class neighborhood.
Check out wikipedia on westridge for more info: Rogers Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I dont agree at all with this,
when people refer to Rogers Park
they dont mean east plus west,
How many maps showing the neigborhoods of Chicago show the area of West Ridge as West Rogers Park?
well increasingly more, this is a new phenomenom the usage of the east/west nomenclature,
west ridge is also known as nortown. or north town.
funny that the west part wants now to be so badly to be associated with its much aligned older brother to the east.

I will grant you that there is a Rogers Park in West Ridge,
where the Rogers elementary school is and that is the only reason that this
nomenclature occurs at all or is even barely acceptable.

West Rogers Park is better?
thats a value judgement, its just different.
Id rather live in Rogers Park any day over West Ridge.
The ghettoized elements are being pushed out slowly but surely
the holdout North of Howard will crumble.
Its had a long grip on the neigborhood,
due to the collusion of slumlandlords.

they will see that they can make more money with gentrification
however. and will either condoconvert at that time or sell
or demo.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,971 times
RP is great. We had to move away three years ago for me to go to grad school out of state. We are returning in a year. Looking forward to moving back. Strongest sense of community I've seen anywhere. People party with their neighbors, people organize outings with their neighbors.

The one problem hindering change is the alderman Joe Moore. He is very opposed to gentrification. He doesn't want to see the area go upmarket. Unfortunately lots of people continue to vote for him because they wrongly associate him with the good changes that have happened all over the city because of Mayor Daley and his administration. When you see RP out Joe Moore expect the developers to arrive and expect your property values to rise and street crime to go down.

I have sat through neighborhood meetings where a whole range of people (rich and poor, black and white, Chicago native and new comers) were furious at Joe and all he could do is stand there and lecture everyone that they should put up with graffiti and garbage and drug addicts hanging out on the corner and prostitutes walking down the street (at the very corner that he has his office - Jarvis & Greenview) because, as he told us, "this is life in the city." No, Joe, it doesn't have to be. You just don't want any change and you don't want RP to become Lincoln Park because a well educated batch of voters won't be able to be bussed to the polls out of their section 8 flop houses. You would have to convince the taxpayers that you were serving them.

Rogers Park will go far after the next alderman comes in. It is good now. With a new alderman it will be great.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:58 PM

86 posts, read 698,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
i've heard such mixed reviews about rogers park and wonder if it's worth checking out.. i guess most of the places i may look at are north eastern part near evanston, on water. what are your opinions like is it just slowly gentrifying or mixed bag or what? i don't like living places where there are bad blocks mixed in decent ones - hard to navigate if unfamiliar with the area. i may look at a condo there on fri and was just wondering. thanks!!

I lived in Rogers Park for many years and it is changing. West Rogers Park is nicer, say west of California Ave. and north of Pratt Ave. Areas to avoid are the far northeast part of Rogers Park, Howard St. and the adjacent streets, and north Clark st. from Howard St. on the north to Devon Ave. on the south.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Rogers Park is a cool neighborhood, one of the most diverse in the city. The Morse and Howard L stops are sketchy at night. You either want to live close to the Lake in Rogers Park or the West Ridge area which is around Western and Pratt. My husband lived in Rogers Park for 5 years without any incident and he used the subway all of the time, at all hours. May be different for a woman.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
I dont agree at all with this,
when people refer to Rogers Park
they dont mean east plus west,
How many maps showing the neigborhoods of Chicago show the area of West Ridge as West Rogers Park?
well increasingly more, this is a new phenomenom the usage of the east/west nomenclature,
west ridge is also known as nortown. or north town.
funny that the west part wants now to be so badly to be associated with its much aligned older brother to the east.

I will grant you that there is a Rogers Park in West Ridge,
where the Rogers elementary school is and that is the only reason that this
nomenclature occurs at all or is even barely acceptable.

West Rogers Park is better?
thats a value judgement, its just different.
Id rather live in Rogers Park any day over West Ridge.
The ghettoized elements are being pushed out slowly but surely
the holdout North of Howard will crumble.
Its had a long grip on the neigborhood,
due to the collusion of slumlandlords.

they will see that they can make more money with gentrification
however. and will either condoconvert at that time or sell
or demo.
If you referring to a map, then of course, East and West Rogers Park is considered as just Rogers Park; however, there is a distinction between these two areas. I don't want to get into debate about this issue, but if you google it, I'm assure my comment still stands. I did mentioned that West Rogers Park is also called West Ridge.
As for your comment about value judgement, most general rule of thumb is that the higher the value of homes in an area compare to another, the safer and secure the area is. Ask any real estate agent (assuming they answer honestly and not trying to get you to buy) about the reason why houses in East Rogers park are generally cheaper than the West Roger Park and they will give you the same statement I have made. It is not an opinion.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:40 PM

86 posts, read 698,375 times
Since when did the western part of Rogers Park become West Ridge. I moved away from Chicago in the late 80's. Everyone I knew in Rogers Park called it West Rogers Park.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy1 View Post
Since when did the western part of Rogers Park become West Ridge. I moved away from Chicago in the late 80's. Everyone I knew in Rogers Park called it West Rogers Park.
Well, that's the confusing part. What people refer to as "West Rogers Park" is not actually part of Rogers Park and therefore can't accurately be said to be "western Rogers Park." It's part of the official West Ridge community. Why people call it West Rogers Park, I don't know.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy1 View Post
The West Roger Park name refer to the western part of Rogers Park before 1897, but became West Ridge officially.
there is an insert regarding the changed:

check out this links for further info:

Rogers Park Cabbage War

Rogers Park Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago