Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 75,776 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I live in Miami but my boyfriend just got a major job in Chicago and we're considering driving there. Shipping the car in addition to all the other appliances (tv's, comps, printer, winter clothes, etc) plus plane tickets came out to much more money.

So I was wondering if anyone had ever done this drive (vise versa) and approx. how long it takes.

Also, we'll be driving in October and I imagine the weather shouldn't be bad at all, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I did the drive back in 1998, took me about 20 hours, but Im known to drive fast. ;-)

October should be fine. Early October is beautiful with all the colors and lower temps (50's-70's). Late October gets kinda rainy/gloomy for awhile. Roads should be 100% AOK.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:36 AM

167 posts, read 553,213 times
i did it in 2007 at 18.5 hours - just be careful in GA of the cops!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM

152 posts, read 572,194 times
Hi!
My wife have just moved from Miami to Chicago few months ago and we decided to ship the car. If you think about it, it's more than 1300 miles and you will need to stop one or two days along the way, spending a lot of money in gas, hotels, meals, expecting the unexpected from such a long trip with all the dangers you might find! On the long run you will probably end up paying the same amount of money that if you shipped it, but avoiding all the hassle and the dangers of such a long ride. We paid $ 960 to ship an SUV, we went through a shipping broker, but I could give you the direct contact info of the guy the broker hired...maybe you could save a couple of hundreds.
Good luck!!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM

38 posts, read 830,562 times
My family just moved from SE GA (St Mary's, GA). We lived 3 mi from the FL state line on I-95. We also used to live in Jacksonville, FL and had made the drive to Chicago several times. The drive is long no lie but if you have help it is not so bad and timing makes a difference. Jacksonville to Chicago is about an 18hr drive itself and coming from Miami that is another 500mi you must consider. If my memory serves me correctly Miami is approx 511mi to Jax.

We actually just moved to Chicago this month and we drove both cars. Timing makes a difference that you travel. Miami traffic is no joke especially when you get up in that West Palm Bch traffic. ATL traffic is something else too but not if you hit it at the right times. After you get on the other side of ATL you are pretty good. Going around the mountains in Chattanoga, TN is fun.

Even when we lived in Jax we went 95 to Savannah. Take 16W to 75N (to Macon). 75N to ATL all the way to Chattanooga, TN to Pick up 24W. Once you get into Chattanooga you are going to catch 64 W and 64 will run you all the way into the 94 (Chicago, IL). Then you break off and go where ever you need to go. Map quest actually has a route that will take you through SC and NC but that is really out of the way and there is really no good stopping points plus it is BORING as Heck up through there and a lot of it is 2 lanes.

You can also go Miami to Tallahassee, FL. Tallahassee to Mobile, AL. Mobile to Hattisburg, MS and then catch 55N in MS and run 55N all the way to Chicago as well but again a lot of that is 2 lanes and again BORING. This too is still a two day trip for you.

Depending on your time frame or days you have to get to Chicago should determine your stopping points. If I was traveling on the wknd I would leave out on Friday early morning and drive to ATL. I would stp overnight in ATL and then leave the next day and finish the trip the next day. ATL is about the half way point. Miami to ATL is about 10hrs depending on traffic. ATL to Chicago is about another 12hrs. As I said if you have help you will do fine. Defiantely watch your speed once you get on the other side of Louisville, KY into IN b/c 5.0 DO NOT PLAY in that state. They be out there in gangs 4/5 together just sitting waiting. They be stretched out like every 10mi. GA 5.0 don't have nothing on IN state troopers.

When we moved this month and with driving two cars (a Nissan Max and a Windstar Van) we only spent about $300-$330 in gas. We had our furniture shipped. If you like you can even email me and I will let you know about that b/c we used a company that was really inexpensive and we had no problems what so ever. Their company is very customer friendly and focused. We are actually only going to be in IL for 3yrs before my husband job will transfer to TX and we are most defiantely going to use them again. Their website is Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving. I would certainly recommend them.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 AM

38 posts, read 830,562 times
Hello

I have responded to this post within another one of your post pls take a look at it and email me personally and I will be more than happy to talk with you about your choices.

I know first hand this move can be overwhelming so take at look at it and I really do not mind talking with you more if you like.

Thank you

Old 06-05-2007, 08:19 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,096 times
Total trip is 1400. Did it about 15 years ago. Figure 20-21 hours of driving time. Best route in my eyes is still the turnpike in Miami to I-75 to I-24 to I-65 and from there into chicago. you can definitely do it in two days, Atlanta or chattanooga are decent choices for the halfway point.

October shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, not that you should go that way, but JAX-Miami is only 348 miles. I've done that trip as well and it sure seemed like about 500 miles. But it's only 348.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 11,819 times
Default Gatsby76

I am interested in driver for vehiclefrom Miami to Chicago without broker
Annie

Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,279 times
Put up an add on craigslist or a local college. I have a friend that did this from MI to FL once. They paid him like $500 plus gas to drive everything down in his truck or something.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,235 times
Smile chicago to miami advice of how to get there quick, safe and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatziek View Post
Hey guys, I live in Miami but my boyfriend just got a major job in Chicago and we're considering driving there. Shipping the car in addition to all the other appliances (tv's, comps, printer, winter clothes, etc) plus plane tickets came out to much more money.

So I was wondering if anyone had ever done this drive (vise versa) and approx. how long it takes.

Also, we'll be driving in October and I imagine the weather shouldn't be bad at all, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
K
hi i am new to this forum, i truly need your help about how to drive from Chicago to Miami, fl. i read your post i found pretty interesting, i need to go visit someone in Miami, FL but it is the first time i will do such a journey trip, i confess you that i feel kind a scary about this, that's why i required your help. i am working now i honestly cant stay to long on this computer but i hope you can contact me back, my email is [email]Boymagic201@hotmail.com[/email] or u can call me if you like to 773 431 4336, i don't have no bad intentions of anything bad i just need someone who can inspire me courage to able to do this journey successfully. sorry i didn't introduce myself, I am Daniel, I live at the north side of Chicago. thank you and i hope to hear from you, promptly. have a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: