Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM

594 posts, read 1,043,956 times

Advertisements

I've visited Chicago several times and have never felt "unsafe" using the CTA buses or L. This time I'm taking my two 6 year olds with me and am especially sensitive about where we go, what buses we take, what trains we take, etc. For the most part, we'll be doing the touristy things and spending most of our time on bus 146 and bus 10. The only thing I'm not sure about is getting from Museum Campus over to Willis () Tower. Google says to take 146 to the Roosevelt station, take the Orange line up to Quincy, and walk over to the tower. You guys familiar with that area agree? I know nothing about the Roosevelt station or the Orange line. Are they both safe? I assume they're reasonably safe, and I wouldn't be asking if it were just me or the wife and me, but with the kids in tow, I'm erring on the side of paranoia . Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
Anything between Museum campus and the sears tower will be relatively safe as you will be going through the loop. If you go during the middle of a weekday expect it to be busy with everyone walking around, a weekend it would be pretty calm except for shoppers.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The central business district and the lake front museum campus is all pretty tourist friendly. Crime is generally very well policed and even purse snatchers and pick pockets are not tolerated.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Is the Roosevelt station safe (assuming we don't screw up and hop on the green line going south)?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
I would assume you mean the Roosevelt at Roosevelt and State? Yes, its fine. As with everything it gets a bit sketchier at night but that is a very busy station. Did you look into a bus that would drop you off in front of union station? Kinda surprised you would have to take an L

Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
I've visited Chicago several times and have never felt "unsafe" using the CTA buses or L. This time I'm taking my two 6 year olds with me and am especially sensitive about where we go, what buses we take, what trains we take, etc. For the most part, we'll be doing the touristy things and spending most of our time on bus 146 and bus 10. The only thing I'm not sure about is getting from Museum Campus over to Willis () Tower. Google says to take 146 to the Roosevelt station, take the Orange line up to Quincy, and walk over to the tower. You guys familiar with that area agree? I know nothing about the Roosevelt station or the Orange line. Are they both safe? I assume they're reasonably safe, and I wouldn't be asking if it were just me or the wife and me, but with the kids in tow, I'm erring on the side of paranoia . Thanks!
Thousands of Chicagoans do it daily with their families. I did it with my cousins and their children last year. It is not even particularly scary as that area has gentrified over the past ten years.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
I believe there is a bus that takes you directly from the Museum campus to downtown via Michigan or State Street. You can get off at Jackson and walk a few blocks. One thing I have noticed about Google Transit is that it tends to assume that you are adverse to walking and would rather circle the loop, or transfer several times than walk 1/2 a mile.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I would assume you mean the Roosevelt at Roosevelt and State? Yes, its fine. As with everything it gets a bit sketchier at night but that is a very busy station. Did you look into a bus that would drop you off in front of union station? Kinda surprised you would have to take an L
Yes, bus #1 would take us from Michigan/Roosevelt to Adams/Canal, and I'm considering that option. The only possible constraint there is whether the kids will be in the mood to walk from museum campus to the bus stop. It's only about .6 miles, but after several hours of touring a museum or two, it may be .6 miles too many for them. Plus, I'd like for them to ride the L at some point just for the experience. It's not all that exciting for adults, but my son is especially fascinated by trains.

Regardless, it sounds like either option is safe, so I feel better.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:38 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
If the kids are interested in riding the L, the line that would probably be most fun is the Brown line going around the Loop, sitting in the front of the 1st car is pretty cool.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
If the kids are interested in riding the L, the line that would probably be most fun is the Brown line going around the Loop, sitting in the front of the 1st car is pretty cool.
Problem is if they're coming from the Museum Campus, the Brown Line would be going the wrong direction.

OP: You can always opt for a cab, yet another interesting Chicago "experience". Maybe $5 or $6 from the Field to the Willis. Then ride the L afterward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago