Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 PM

955 posts, read 1,844,431 times

Advertisements

I've never seen so few voters in a polling place at 4:30 PM. The precinct workers out here in Schaumburg say this may be the lightest vote they have ever experienced. And it is apparently statewide, because I'm reading reports of 20%-25% turnout in Will, Grundy, and Kane counties. In fact Kane county says they may not hit 20% !!!!

What happened to all the outrage?? I was led to believe that this was gonna be a peasants revolution type election. Throw all the bums out they cried !!!

Was it just the usual media hype ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 PM

10,260 posts, read 21,874,057 times
Many people would rather cry than do something.

Then you have the people who don't vote because they don't like the choices. So rather than at least accomplishing the throwing out of one guy they accomplish nothing. Real clever.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,133,204 times
When I voted this morning before I went to work, I was the only voter in the polling place. Pathetic.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,697,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Many people would rather cry than do something.

Then you have the people who don't vote because they don't like the choices. So rather than at least accomplishing the throwing out of one guy they accomplish nothing. Real clever.
I think the greater problem is that there is no unified coalition on which to vote. There's no organized group of spendthrift politicians. There are no people crying out against spending.

And frankly, how would we go about getting rid of people and cleaning house? I sure as hell don't know how to do it.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 PM

10,260 posts, read 21,874,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
And frankly, how would we go about getting rid of people and cleaning house? I sure as hell don't know how to do it.

I'm not sure we can. I don't expect anything from politics but a clash of competing interests that usually keeps the pendulum swinging and solves the worst problems once in awhile. Muddling through.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,697,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm not sure we can. I don't expect anything from politics but a clash of competing interests that usually keeps the pendulum swinging and solves the worst problems once in awhile. Muddling through.
Then let's vote Despotic Tyrant for this next election.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,473,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
When I voted this morning before I went to work, I was the only voter in the polling place. Pathetic.
I went at 10am today and was the first voter they'd had all morning. The weather wasn't even bad today so I can't imagine what people's excuses are aside from apathy.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,250,629 times
Definitely pathetic. With a turnout this low I could see Stroger winning, which I thought was impossible. At Noon today I was the only person voting at my polling station in the 1st Ward. They said I was the first person they'd seen in 30 or 40 minutes. Truly pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Get involved early. Work in the primaries, hell, run yourself. There are good people out there who are interested in running and they need encouragement and workers. I've worked to get 2 Alderman into office and hopefully after today there will be two other "reform" candidates that I've worked for and helped get into office. Politics is NOT a spectator sport. People ***** and moan, but very few people are willing to DO anything. It is a childish abdication of any responsibility.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,133,204 times
attrill - looking at the results coming in, it looks like Preckwinkle is the clear leader, so Stroger is all but out.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 PM

445 posts, read 1,455,373 times
Interesting. I grew up in Chicago but live in NYC now. We also had the lowest turnout ever in our local primaries last fall. I've been voting for a long time and I've never seen anything like it. It's especially startling in comparison to the long lines in Nov. 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago