Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Schuba's, Double Door, Subterranean, Beat Kitchen, Martyr's, The Hideout, Empty Bottle, Metro, Smart Bar, Dark Room, Kinetic Playground, Cobra Lounge, Gallery Cabaret, Cubby Bear, Old Town School of Folk Music, Abbey Pub, Lincoln Hall, Elbo Room, Logan Square Auditorium, Sylvie's, Funky Buddha, The Store, Reggie's...
Phyllis Musical Inn, Mutiny, Quenchers, Lakeshore Theatre, Schuba's, Ronny's, Heartland Cafe...

There's a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Tons of places to play, it's just a supply and demand thing - far more musicians/bands than either venues or people willing to pay a cover to see a band they don't know that well.

Been doing it for over 15 years, the upside is that musically Chicago really is a great melting pot - if you want to grow as a musician and be exposed to all kinds of new styles and ideas, and are willing to accept that you'll still need a day job (or night job, as the case may be) this is a great place to be.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
oh, and FWIW, I think the jukebox has been the death of live music as far as the smaller/"hipper" places are concerned - look at it from a typical bar owners POV: people actually put money in the jukebox. You don't need to give the jukebox free beers. And probably most importantly, it doesn't take up much real estate. I've seen loads of cool little bars experiment with live music, and almost all end up just reverting to the low-hassle alternative of a jukebox. (large places with stages, sound systems, etc. don't fit in this category, of course).

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Schuba's, Double Door, Subterranean, Beat Kitchen, Martyr's, The Hideout, Empty Bottle, Metro, Smart Bar, Dark Room, Kinetic Playground, Cobra Lounge, Gallery Cabaret, Cubby Bear, Old Town School of Folk Music, Abbey Pub, Lincoln Hall, Elbo Room, Logan Square Auditorium, Sylvie's, Funky Buddha, The Store, Reggie's... and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, so I'm sure I missed quite a few. How many more would you like?
Not to mention all the underground "venues", which I wont mention here, but are pretty easy to find if you're even remotely tapped into the local rock scene.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
And also all the street festivals in the summer. On busy weekends they provide at least 30 or 40 paying gigs for bands.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Not to mention all the underground "venues", which I wont mention here, but are pretty easy to find if you're even remotely tapped into the local rock scene.
I like "Burn to Shine". They have local bands play in a condemned house just before it gets the wrecking ball (or in the case of the first event, the Chicago Fire Department burned the house for training). The shows are all available on DVD. A few years ago they had a good mix of the truly local, and some Chicago-based acts with a national following (the Ponies, Wilco, Tortoise).

Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 PM

26 posts, read 45,636 times
Quote:
Schuba's, Double Door, Subterranean, Beat Kitchen, Martyr's, The Hideout, Empty Bottle, Metro, Smart Bar, Dark Room, Kinetic Playground, Cobra Lounge, Gallery Cabaret, Cubby Bear, Old Town School of Folk Music, Abbey Pub, Lincoln Hall, Elbo Room, Logan Square Auditorium, Sylvie's, Funky Buddha, The Store, Reggie's... and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, so I'm sure I missed quite a few. How many more would you like?
I'm gonna have to check each one of those places out. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren&stimpy View Post
I'm gonna have to check each one of those places out. Thanks.
You might want to get to know the music students and/or music graduates at Columbia College, which is a local school specializing in media and the arts. In my estimation and observation, of any group of folks out there they are the most plugged-in to the local music scene and the most thoroughly networked.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
You might want to get to know the music students and/or music graduates at Columbia College, which is a local school specializing in media and the arts. In my estimation and observation, of any group of folks out there they are the most plugged-in to the local music scene and the most thoroughly networked.
In the "old days" you had to host a night at a club.

What happened to finding an abandoned home on the south side, throwing a huge party and running away from the police at 2 a.m.? This generation of bands has gotten weak.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM

26 posts, read 45,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
In the "old days" you had to host a night at a club.

What happened to finding an abandoned home on the south side, throwing a huge party and running away from the police at 2 a.m.? This generation of bands has gotten weak.
Um, actually people still do this. But I do agree with you, this generations bands are very weak AND low on ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago