Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM

26 posts, read 45,722 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna make this story real short...

I'm 21 years old (well, in 3 days) and I had to leave college this month because I simply cannot afford it anymore.

I've been dreaming about going to Chicago for about 3 years now and I don't think I have the option of waiting any longer because I need to go ahead and get my music career started.

I've been putting in applications in Chicago so that MAYBE I'll have a job when I get there, but we all know that that's not guaranteed. As of now, I create album artwork for local unsigned bands, so that's a little bit of cash every now and then.

I honestly, truly, deeply feel in my gut that I need to go ahead and make this move to Chicago within the next 5-6 months. I'm very scared to, but I realize that a lot of people in my situation have done this and been successful. I live in a city that is pretty much dead and has nothing to offer me: Detroit.

In case you need to know, I'll be moving alone. This is NOT just a idea I have about being a huge famous rockstar and makin' it big.

My biggest concerns are these:
1) I don't have a car.
2) I don't have a place to live.

I know that people will think I'm stupid for even considering moving right now, but please understand that in order for me to wait until I get a car, I'd have to save for another 2 years or more.

PLEASE, any insight/ advice about this at all would be appreciated more than you know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:46 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,461,991 times
There is no need for a car in much of Chicago. All neighborhoods where you would consider living are accessible by bike and public transit. You might have problems if you do music and need to move equipment around, but as for living, you should be fine.

Getting an apartment/roommate will be tricky, but your biggest concern should definitely be getting a job.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,021,763 times
Without a job getting an apartment will be hard but yeap you don't need to worry about the car part. The CTA is slow and perhaps inefficent but it is cheaper than a car and so long as it is in the city or the near burbs it can get you there.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 AM

13 posts, read 31,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren&stimpy View Post
I'm gonna make this story real short...

I'm 21 years old (well, in 3 days) and I had to leave college this month because I simply cannot afford it anymore.

I've been dreaming about going to Chicago for about 3 years now and I don't think I have the option of waiting any longer because I need to go ahead and get my music career started.

I've been putting in applications in Chicago so that MAYBE I'll have a job when I get there, but we all know that that's not guaranteed. As of now, I create album artwork for local unsigned bands, so that's a little bit of cash every now and then.

I honestly, truly, deeply feel in my gut that I need to go ahead and make this move to Chicago within the next 5-6 months. I'm very scared to, but I realize that a lot of people in my situation have done this and been successful. I live in a city that is pretty much dead and has nothing to offer me: Detroit.

In case you need to know, I'll be moving alone. This is NOT just a idea I have about being a huge famous rockstar and makin' it big.

My biggest concerns are these:
1) I don't have a car.
2) I don't have a place to live.

I know that people will think I'm stupid for even considering moving right now, but please understand that in order for me to wait until I get a car, I'd have to save for another 2 years or more.

PLEASE, any insight/ advice about this at all would be appreciated more than you know!!

It's good to know that you're one of those people who knows what they want or what they want to be in the future. But considering that you don't have a place to live in and a car complicates everything. How about getting a job there or find a friend who can help you find a place. Just follow your instinct. Sometimes we really have to take risk to know what we're doing is wrong or right. Goodluck to you!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM

26 posts, read 45,722 times
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the answers.

If anybody else has something to say, I would greatly appreciate it, also!

I'm really glad to hear that not having a car isn't a problem. Is there a website that I can go to and learn about the public transportation? (for example, "such and such train will take you here...")

I wanted to add that I don't have any friends that can move with me I don't want to think negative, but if I get called for a job interview, I wouldn't be able to make it there. Maybe someone can just hire me on the spot. I'm so stuck between a rock in a hard place!! Still trying to be optimistic about things, though...

Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 AM

205 posts, read 590,102 times
I applaud you! All I can say is keep thinking positive.... we attract what we are, be it negative or positive.
Google the transit system for Chicago, I'm sure it will provide you with maps and detailed areas of the city.
Keep the faith, I'm sure you will be fine.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 AM

97 posts, read 197,764 times
Wow that's ballsy, good luck! I joined the Army under the similiar kind of feeling. Just didnt know why, or how I was going to go through with it, but it was well worth it, I am living my own dream now ( Got out of the Army ) And Im happy. But only, I knew I would have a roof, food, and a place to sleep. I hope it works out for you!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,692,104 times
visit this site to learn more about the Chicago Transit System.

www.transitchicago.com

When I moved here, I came off of an 8 month layoff, having moved back in with my parents was able to save a little bit. I had a job too already lined up. It was still hard.

It isnt going to be easy to get off the ground, but once you did, I think you will find that Chicago offers you a huge oppurtunity to persue your dreams moreso than Detriot.

I would consider making a trip out here to put in as many applications as you can. The trip can be done rather cheaply.

Take mega bus from detroit to chicago. They have very affordable rates.

megabus US - Home

Stay in a youth hostel for a few days while here.

HI - Chicago :: Hostel to Reserve in the United States

Trip is going to cost you a little, but it will be well worth it to in the least have some income lined up. Some employers will hire you on the spot, especially in service. I was able to find a job in a nightclub by simply asking to speak to the manager and explaining that I needed work. He hired me on the spot for the next weekend. Fill out as many applications as you can.

Once you get your income lined up, you should be pretty good to start looking at affordable living and off you go.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 AM

102 posts, read 333,927 times
Moving here was rather scary for me as well. My girlfriend and I saved up some money, got an apartment from Craigslist without ever having seen it, then moved up here with no jobs. I was constantly nervous that I wouldn't find a job in time and would have to move back. My girlfriend had a job within two weeks though, and I had one after a month, so it worked out. It's definitely not the ideal way to do it, but it worked out. I'm not sure I'd ever do it that way again though.

If you're determined to make this move, you'll do it one way or another eventually. Just be smart about it and start putting aside as much money as you can now.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:26 PM

8 posts, read 12,888 times
Hi, as others have said You DONT need a car her..you can walk or take the CTA..I will tell you honestly the economy here is very bad--I know Detroits is worse, but Chicagos is pretty bad right now--As far as living arangements, try CraigsList or maybe the Chicago reader (should be online) to check out rentals and roomate situations--Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago