Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 PM

87 posts, read 80,393 times

Advertisements

Chicago Fails to Make Cut for US World Cup Bid - The Jakarta Globe

or the olympics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
You need to start taking your meds.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 AM

527 posts, read 1,245,915 times
Oh god, more people trying to feel better about their vote for South America. Y'all made your bed, now lie in it. Have fun securitizing the "stadium" as you call it that holds that many people down there. So many wrong facts in this article just edging out the truth. Soldier Field can hold up to 65,000 at capacity as it did just 3 months ago for the U2 concert. Any further than that and you are talking Nose Bleed, and that stadium (if you have ever been) is very steep, meaning the outer rims are relatively close to the field versus far back like the soccer field in Sau Paulo where you ABSOLUTELY need giant binoculars from the outer rim. In America, if you need a binoculars to see the sport, you watch it on TV instead as there are TVs everywhere here. Sau Paulo's morumbi field has only 70k seats, or roughly 7.7% more capacity than soldier field and Sau Paulo greater area itself has a total of around 1 million TVs. Cook County has 25 million TVs in roughly the same area (cook county=metro Sau Paulo by size, state of illinois =sau paulo area). Hope your guests that aren't buying nosebleed seat tickets can watch the game.

Finally, people keep claiming Sau Paulo is the biggest city in the Americas. That is hilarious not just because it is mostly people living on top of people in no economy, but because the square mileage they include in their "Larger" metro area is RIDICULOUS (well over 3,000 square miles). in America it would be like drawing a line along the lake from Chicago to Milwuakee, and then saying ANY point within thirty seven miles of that line on land is "Chicagoland." You would also be talking about 30 million people, much larger by # and economy, MUCH higher by density of education and professional athletes, as well as by university and high school athletes.

I was recently in Europe and some Canadians there were keen to jibe me for the whole trip I was on about Chicago losing the Olympics. I had to tell them repeatedly I do not care. It is funny to me. I can't wait to see the IOC manage an olympic trip in Sau Paulo in the midst of a heavily extended recovery. Having been to Sau Paulo organizers will also get to face RAMPANT usage of heavy drugs, and lack of heavy drug enforcement. They think Chicago crime is bad... Our numbers at least include everything that happens...

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
Wow, that is dissappointing, although I guess I understand the city's point, that they don't want incremental spending for this event. I was first hoping for the olympics, and then World Cup, I though they would be great experiences for my kids. Oh well, I will be going to Rio in 2014 and 2016 anyway...it just would have been nice to have a HUGE event here for my kids to experience.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
What is the World Cup?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,993,092 times
A major soccer tournament

Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,756 times
What do you mean we "didnt make the cut"? The city DROPPED OUT.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
A major soccer tournament
Oooh.

Does the US even have a soccer team? I don't understand why we would be in the running anyways; who cares about soccer?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Oooh.

Does the US even have a soccer team? I don't understand why we would be in the running anyways; who cares about soccer?
Oh god, SHADDUP!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Oh god, SHADDUP!
I know our football teams-- vaguely-- and I know the soccer and basketball teams. And hockey, of course, because they're always hot. But I seriously had no idea we even had a national soccer team. I know that one was pulled together for the Olympics or something similar, but I'm not sure what they're called.

It's just soccer. I don't really want to have to google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago