Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:29 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

KoNgFooCj, and as stated in the Chicago thread on hotdogs, we now have 2 Portillo's. whoosh, we are becoming more and more alike! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 10:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I've driven down the main highway thru downtown Holland, Michigan, and I swear it looks like a typical Chicago suburb in DuPage County, Illinois!

Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Cities (large) most similar to Chicago?

Cleveland and Detroit.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:21 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Cities (large) most similar to Chicago?

Cleveland and Detroit.
I disagree. I would say New York for downtown. New York, Philly, Milwaukee for parts of the northside. Maybe Cleveland and Detroit for parts of the South Side.

What is Cleveland and Detroit's equivalent of the Loop, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Edgewater, Uptown, Logan Square, Humbolt Park, Pilsen, Little Village, Ukranian Village, or Chinatown? Please post pictures........

Even from a demographic standpoint, they are not similar. What is the proportion of Hispanics in Cleveland and Detroit? They make up over 30% of Chicago.

Again, there are parts of the city where there may be similarities (particularly in parts of the South Side and maybe West Side)....but overall I would not say that Cleveland and Detroit are that similar to Chicago.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:53 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I disagree. I would say New York for downtown. New York, Philly, Milwaukee for parts of the northside. Maybe Cleveland and Detroit for parts of the South Side.

What is Cleveland and Detroit's equivalent of the Loop, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Edgewater, Uptown, Logan Square, Humbolt Park, Pilsen, Little Village, Ukranian Village, or Chinatown? Please post pictures........

Even from a demographic standpoint, they are not similar. What is the proportion of Hispanics in Cleveland and Detroit? They make up over 30% of Chicago.

Again, there are parts of the city where there may be similarities (particularly in parts of the South Side and maybe West Side)....but overall I would not say that Cleveland and Detroit are that similar to Chicago.

Having grown up near Oak and LSD last century, I was being sarcastic; somewhat.
My posting was a reflection of stumbling upon this vid, made by a chicagoan just 2 weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLD6E4HNoY

And the fact it was 10 degrees warmer last Christmas day, we haven't had a Spring since 2012.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:37 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Having grown up near Oak and LSD last century, I was being sarcastic; somewhat.
My posting was a reflection of stumbling upon this vid, made by a chicagoan just 2 weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLD6E4HNoY

And the fact it was 10 degrees warmer last Christmas day, we haven't had a Spring since 2012.
One can say it is political and COL issues etc. There are a few videos. I also think that YouTuber video maker is originally from Nebraska? He did say in a video I saw. He is not a Chicago Native or even lived there I believe.

This young Cleveland transplant to Chicago does a lot of Chicago videos and loves his 4 year time in Chi. Here he replies to the video you posted. But here he reviews your video above on - The 10 reasons not to move to Chicago and the that poster does many a video on negative aspects of cities. I believe currently that person from the Midwest is in California now. It is easy to see winters is on the list, but most of the Nation gets real winters and here in the East we do too. I am not on the coast either that moderates it a bit more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuva...=emb_rel_pause

Hard Core sports is a non-issue really as a reason at all. Not like I ever believed I should fear wearing another city's sports cap or shirt means they will condemn you. There is one East Coast city I might fear it, but will not name it here, Just maybe if St Louis or Green Bay? Do not, but hey win or loose all can booze together.

I am sure Political corruption is tops in your list and reasons and taxes. Basically the Big 3 are winters, politics, taxes , politics, corruption, taxes and politics Oh did I say rising taxes. Parking a reason not to move to Chi is nothing if you knew some East Coast cities I won't mention. At least Chi isn't a tight rowhome city without even alleys with extra parking. Crime we all heard of the gangbang hoods especially.

If Chicago had a milder winter climate? I think it would be booming overall today given how we hate winters and added COL and political views might be lessened? If able to move then then better to move I say? Then choose a region similar to your views and where you will feel you will be richer and warmer by living there.

You may or not find this video made on COL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzFkVnW1hOM

I live in the East now and I hate winters too. Still I thought I wanted Florida? But in early retirement I chose not to and travel more instead next year anyway. But if a young professional and it is a abhorring scourge? Then there is a whole Nation out here that much as less a winter.

If you want no state income tax or snow and no real winters? Here is your guy doing 10 reasons not to mover to Seattle after he give it some good points. He did many cities and hoods too. A huge YouTube video maker. Some luv some well not so much his videos. Entertaining for sure they are.

Only posting for a example knowing this city below is not a topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yxjgv4ehJc

Opps but too Liberal is the reason a Conservative maybe should not. Same level of loathing can result. But then none of this is on what city LOOKS LIKE CHI? Opps again It might be deleted.

Last edited by NoHyping; 05-10-2020 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 08:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Topography and Demographically, it's Milwaukee.

It has the river cutting through it's CBD, just like in Chicago. It also makes use of green space to compliment downtown and Lake Michigan. And there is also a beach. It's as if the city planners saw how nice it made Chicago look and decided to replicate, copy and paste.

Milwaukee's base racial/ethnic make up is near identical to early 1990s Chicago:

Chicago (1990)
39.1% Black
37.9% White non hispanic
19.6% Hispanic
3.7% Asian

Milwaukee (2010)
40% Black
37% White non hispanic
17.3% Hispanic
3.5% Asian

Diving deeper,Hispanics/Latinos consist of Mexicans and Puerto Ricans as #1 and a distant #2 in Milwaukee, just as it is here. Milwaukee is more Puerto Rican in its hispanic make up, though. Both cities are very AA in its black population, followed by virtually identical African percentages as well. Both of their historic/early African American enclaves were/are called Bronzeville. Milwaukee does have a lot of Polish, but I think it's much more German, like Wisconsin as a whole. Statistically, German ancestry is big in Chicago, but as a culture identifier I feel that Irish and Polish are more dominant. You'll find plenty with Irish flags in certain neighborhoods; and, Polish as a language is spoken by many. Asians: there is a stark difference. Milwaukee is majority Hmong in its city proper, and that is an ethnicity that Chicago lacks. That's cool, because it's a city less than two hours away, and if I want to get a taste of that culture I know where to go.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 05-10-2020 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 07:01 AM

4,642 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Chicagoland60426, great analysis! Historically our northside was highly settled by Germans and our southside by the Poles ( my understanding is in Chicago both sides of Madison Street had Poles, branching southwest along Archer Avenue, and northwest along Milwaukee Avenue.) I grew up on the northside near N. 60th and Appleton Avenue in the 1970s, and I sure remember neighbors who were immigrants from Germany.

I regret to say that I did not even know what "Hmong" was, until I started college. I met many Hmong students in classes or in the pool hall of the student union, and I would ask them to teach me some phrases in the Hmong language, and to teach me about their culture's history. There are Hmong establishments both on the north and south side.

We have 2 Korean restaurants near the university. And so I am always happy to come to Chicagoland for innumerate Korean restaurants!!

In my youth the south side was a mixture of white and Hispanic. Over time, Hmong and African American began to take up residency in this area. So I might liken this area of the southside to a kind of Rogers Park.

YES, come on up and get a taste of our culture! Let me know if you need some recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago