Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times

Advertisements

Well, a lot has changed since my original post. Walmart and Mariano's moved in, giving us cheaper groceries, and I noticed Jewels lowered their prices to compete. I'd like to stay in Chicago but I think I have to do temp out of city or state jobs just to get back to work. Chicago's parking meters are somewhat bearable at $2 / hr, but often if I park for 15 minutes only I don't pay.

So far I'm having no luck with Chicago companies hiring me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicago seems to make more sense for people who have family nearby. It is still by far the largest economy in the Midwest, and represents great opportunity for many. I've tried to leave, but my professional connections (and those of my wife) tend to keep us here. So we're making the best of it. And we do have great love for the city, even though it presents some challenges. If you can get past the weather and deal with the urban congestion, a really good quality of life is possible here.
I agree, but I don't think that anyone should regard living in Chicago is "settling for second-best". I do know that coastal people still might regard their environments as being superior, but I don't believe that. I'd rather think that their "preferences" are preventing them from experiencing something that they would likely enjoy..

Bu, I understand--if you're a Big 10 guy, and you want to "fit in", then Chicago makes more sense than perhaps NYC or LA....but you never now until you try.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 PM

541 posts, read 912,062 times
Im currently torn between Honolulu and Chicago.

Yes, it may sound pretty stupid to some (or most) of you, but to be honest, im a city guy and its not that easy.

I am in my late 20s, single and have the opportunity to live in one of the world's great cities. Second best urban experience in America to NYC (and im from NY and have done NYC, moving on).

Nightlife, sports, and dating options are all extremely important to me, but so is weather and recreation. Foods also pretty big.

Honolulu (Hawaii in general) has the weather flat out, and the laid back lifestyle that most would value as they get older. I mean, its ****ing Hawaii here. The reason I struggle however is that Chicago has the nightlife and sports options I crave. I need year round nice weather though. The past six months in Upstate NY has been ****ing brutal. I think the sun's been out a total of two weeks and im not even kidding. The trees are ****ing budding by now and its not even doing that. Im so sick of the ****ing cold and clouds.

To allude to what someone else said, its really only ~8-12 weeks of great weather in Chicago where I can really enjoy the city.

Im torn between just living in Honolulu and having the great weather/outdoors year round and just sticking to visiting Chicago during its best months (summer) or toughing it out while I can and live in Chicago while possibly not getting the chance to move to Hawaii. The food, nightlife and sports edge undoubtedly goes to Chicago here, but Honolulu excels in areas Chicago is decent at (Asian). The nightlife in Honolulu is pretty good but its no Chicago or LA or Miami, which some people actually expect.

Choices suck.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
I wouldn't even consider living in Honolulu on less than a six-digit salary. Throw some kids into the mix and just cracking six digits probably wouldn't be enough. If you want the year-round weather and the outdoor recreational opportunities, SoCal is a cheaper option than Honolulu ("cheaper" of course being relative). Plus you aren't stuck out in the middle of the ocean.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I'm going to be honest. Honolulu is overrated as a city. Not bad, but overrated.

First of all, it's not nearly as big as you might think for a city..under 400,000 for the city and about 950,000 people on Oahu total. There is public transit, but it's not that great at all (they'd be smart to build an elevated line or subway if they could do it) and the traffic actually sucks. You'd have to get used to driving differently too - much more aggressive than most of the mainland drives. I eventually adjusted, but I had no idea when I first drove on the freeway there and how aggressive people can be. It's definitely more in line with driving in Asia and you have to cut people off if you want to get over lanes. Nobody is going to just let you go.

Cost of living there is really high, because it's an island in the middle of the ocean with not much else around it. It's definitely more expensive than Chicago. The food can be good, but I also had some very average or even bad food there. Of course there's cheap eats there, but eh. I ate at a restaurant while there which is one of the tops. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but if it were in Chicago (or NYC, or San Fran) in no way would it be touted as one of the tops and I wouldn't have spent close to $200 for two on dinner.

Weather wise, yeah..obviously it's better than Chicago year round, though you still have to worry about tsunamis and all that every blue moon (just like tornados in Chicago). It's just me, and Honolulu was OK but I thought it was definitely overrated as a city. When I've been there, I never got the sense that it's a place, as a city person, that I would actually want to be after experiencing NYC, San Fran, and Chicago in the US.

I agree with Drover. I think Southern California, especially San Diego is a better choice if you're weighing that type of thing. Plus, if you want to see your relatives/friends in the US if you live there, it's much cheaper and the plane rides are much, much shorter (it's 10 hours direct from Chicago to Honolulu for reference).

PS: my ex is from Oahu (I dated her in the mainland) and I showed her pics of the Oak Street Beach area of Chicago not long ago and she actually thought I was showing her pictures of Waikiki Beach in Honolulu..even though she lives a mile from Waikiki currently.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-20-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm going to be honest. Honolulu is overrated as a city. Not bad, but overrated.

First of all, it's not nearly as big as you might think for a city..under 400,000 for the city and about 950,000 people on Oahu total. There is public transit, but it's not that great at all (they'd be smart to build an elevated line or subway if they could do it) and the traffic actually sucks. You'd have to get used to driving differently too - much more aggressive than most of the mainland drives.

Cost of living there is really high, because it's an island in the middle of the ocean with not much else around it. It's definitely more expensive than Chicago. The food can be good, but I also had some very average or even bad food there. Of course there's cheap eats there, but eh. I ate at a restaurant while there which is one of the tops. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but if it were in Chicago (or NYC, or San Fran) in no way would it be touted as one of the tops and I wouldn't have spent close to $200 for two on dinner.

Weather wise, yeah..obviously it's better than Chicago year round, though you still have to worry about tsunamis and all that. I agree with Drover. I think Southern California, especially San Diego is a better choice if you're weighing that type of thing.

It's just me, and Honolulu was OK but I thought it was definitely overrated as a city. When I've been there, I never got the sense that it's a place, as a city person, that I would actually want to be after experiencing NYC, San Fran, and Chicago in the US.

By the way, my ex is from Oahu (I dated her in the mainland) and I showed her pics of the Oak Street Beach area of Chicago once and she actually thought I was showing her pictures of Waikiki Beach in Honolulu.
I think Hawaii is awesome but overrated. Honolulu is an alright city. It's just way too isolated! Unless all your friends and families live in Hawaii, I don't see the need to move all the way out there for what it offers. You can find more or less the same type of environment on a much cheaper scale in the Carribbean an parts. Of Latin America.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I think Hawaii is awesome but overrated. Honolulu is an alright city. It's just way too isolated! Unless all your friends and families live in Hawaii, I don't see the need to move all the way out there for what it offers. You can find more or less the same type of environment on a much cheaper scale in the Carribbean an parts. Of Latin America.
Yep, or SoCal like San Diego. After visiting there, I don't get peoples' obsession with Honolulu. The more rural parts of Hawaii are much better I think too.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Tom Wolfe called Hawaii "Rube Valhalla".

Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
It disgusts me a little to see photos of how Waikiki used to look. Now it's basically the Vegas strip with a big sand box. Hawaii is naturally beautiful, but you have to get away from the tourist hellholes to see it.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Tom Wolfe called Hawaii "Rube Valhalla".
Ouch.

Honolulu had better be the "ultimate" experience, in terms of wanting to move there--otherwise, it's a long way back to the mainland. Perhaps visiting LA or Dan Diego, and comparing the cost of living, is in order first..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago