Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,633 times

Advertisements

"Chicago, Wisconsin U.S.A" Saw this term on another forum.

Wisconsinites seem to be pouring into the Chicago area like crazy these days. It seems like everywhere I look on the North Side and in the suburbs I see Wisc. license plates, W college signs, Packers flags, Packers plates, Brewers flags, etc. etc. Yeah, I know that there are people from all over the midwest living/ going to school in Chicago, I'm one, but there seems to be a heavy influx of Wisconsin plates parked on Chicago's side streets lately and plenty of Wisconsin themed bars going up. Then there is this lovely number...

[URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chicago+wisconsin"]www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chicago+wisconsin[/URL]

Are parts of the city being "colonized" again??

Last edited by Farmer Tom Illinois' Best; 11-18-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,824,368 times
You should be more worried about transplants from Michigan. I'd say they outnumber us Wisconsinites three to one at least.

Wisconsin is only 50 miles away, so it makes sense that you would see a lot of cars with WI plates. You also see a lot of IL plates in southern WI.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,651,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You should be more worried about transplants from Michigan. I'd say they outnumber us Wisconsinites three to one at least.
No doubt they do. I think Ohioans trump the Wisconsin numbers as well.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 14,633 times
Not really worried about them, just had never heard the term "Chicago, Wisconsin" before. It coincided with a discussion my friends and I were having a while back about how many Brewers fans and Packers fans we see around nowadays. You are right though there are alot of Michigan folks too.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:06 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,262,898 times
A couple weekends ago, I was at Dave & Buster's on Clark. When I parked in the garage connected to the building, I saw a crazy number of WI plates. It was enough to pique my interest and make me wonder.

MI people, on the other hand, seem to be pouring into the state. I've even noticed some out here. I suppose it would make sense, as their state is descending into an abyss of depression.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
A couple weekends ago, I was at Dave & Buster's on Clark. When I parked in the garage connected to the building, I saw a crazy number of WI plates. It was enough to pique my interest and make me wonder...
Dave and Buster's is a tourist attraction to people from Wisconsin and other places like Iowa. The chain is only in 20 or so states (used to be a lot less.) Wisconsin does not have a location. The closest location for many people from WI is Chicago. It also has a strange attraction of transplants and of native suburbanites. Most natives to the city would rather be caught dead than set foot in that place. I went twice when I was 21 not long after it opened. I will never set foot in it again.

Dave and Buster's is in the category of the bars on Rush and the bars on Division.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-18-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:51 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,853,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Tom Illinois' Best View Post
Wisconsinites seem to be pouring into the Chicago area like crazy these days.
I have not noticed any more than normal.

There is an opposite side to this coin however. Take a road trip, anywhere in the midwest, on an interstate highway that originates in or passes through Illinois. Watch the license plates, and count the states. Illinois is always #2 behind the home state. Then keep an eye on the dealer's decals/license plate tags. You guessed it - they're all from Chicago or its suburbs.

Its uncanny. You could be on, say, I90 in Pennsylvania or Kansas and every other car is from Woodfield Nissan, Roesch Chevrolet, Mcgrath Lexus or some other Chicago-area dealer.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,229,521 times
I haven't noticed any more Wisc. plates on the streets than any other time in the decade or so I've lived here.

I think a VAST majority of the plates would lie from Roosevelt to Evanston and the lake to Ashland. A majority of the city that isn't talked about much is solidly Illinois...or Hispanic.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I haven't noticed any more Wisc. plates on the streets than any other time in the decade or so I've lived here.

I think a VAST majority of the plates would lie from Roosevelt to Evanston and the lake to Ashland...
Yes. Any high density area with an abundance of apartments as well as demand is going to be highly transient in some way,shape, or form. It has always been so everywhere in the world.

However it has been bit more the case in Chicago in the last ten years versus the last few decades before it.

Chicago had a steady influx of people from other states and countries until the late 40's. The people had to come from somewhere. Even in the days of 4,5,6,7 child families, that alone was not able to equal the population explosion of Chicago and the area from the period after the fire until the late 40's.

I do think however that the amount of (legal) foreign immigration and transplants from other states died down considerably from the early 50's until the mid 90's in the Chicago area.

I remember a time when seeing an out of state plate was very rare in any neighborhood in Chicago (except a few southern black areas on the south side and the southern white areas on the north side.)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-18-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,262,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Dave and Buster's is a tourist attraction to people from Wisconsin and other places like Iowa. The chain is only in 20 or so states (used to be a lot less.) Wisconsin does not have a location. The closest location for many people from WI is Chicago. It also has a strange attraction of transplants and of native suburbanites. Most natives to the city would rather be caught dead than set foot in that place. I went twice when I was 21 not long after it opened. I will never set foot in it again.

Dave and Buster's is in the category of the bars on Rush and the bars on Division.
Interesting. There's one in Addison too, right?

Yeah, my girlfriend and I were in the area, and we had both never been to a Dave and Buster's. The service was absolutely terrible, the food was terrible, and people in the gameroom were like animals. It was probably one of the worst experiences I had in a long time. I'm not old at all, but all the craziness and video games isn't my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago