Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 10,014 times

Advertisements

Well, we looked at Carol Stream, Bloomingdale, and Wheaton. We decided we would see what we could find, save some money, and really just settle. Carol Stream was nothing but industry and apartments. Bloomingdale (where we looked) was nothing but big box stores and apartments. Wheaton was a small college town, but we didn't like any of the places we looked. So, we drove to Oak Park (during rush hour) just to see how bad the commute would be. The last 4 miles on the Eisenhower kind of sucked, but overall it wasn't that bad. We went to the Oak Park Regional Housing Center, and it was great! The staff were friendly and passionate. My wife quickly fell in love with the city, and we found a nice vintage rehabbed apartment for about $200 less than we were looking at in the further burbs. We signed a 6 month lease, so if I really hate the commute, I only have to put up with it for 6 months, but what we'll probably do is get a junker car, and leave it in Wheaton by the Metra, so I can take the Metra from Oak Park. This won't save a ton of time off the commute, but it will be time that I can read/do crossword puzzles/whatever while riding the train. Oak Park seems like a happy medium to us. Lots of family friendly stuff to do, plus the el for easy access to the city. We love the character, and are super excited to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,903,545 times
Check the overnight parking prohibitions in Wheaton, you will need to budget for private parking lot.

Other wise sounds like a pretty good solution.
Six months gives you a nice "light at the end of the tunnel" deadline if you are going crazy with the commute. A little surprised the landlord went for this, but maybe things are worse in the rental market of Oak Park than I would have thought. Glad I don't have any rental properties when I hear that...

Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,161,570 times
Also, if you drive, try getting off at Mannheim rd going North, and just take it to Washington.

It might only save you a few minutes, but at least you won't be sitting in 4 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 AM

5,525 posts, read 14,024,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy1982 View Post
Well, we looked at Carol Stream, Bloomingdale, and Wheaton. We decided we would see what we could find, save some money, and really just settle. Carol Stream was nothing but industry and apartments. Bloomingdale (where we looked) was nothing but big box stores and apartments. Wheaton was a small college town, but we didn't like any of the places we looked. So, we drove to Oak Park (during rush hour) just to see how bad the commute would be. The last 4 miles on the Eisenhower kind of sucked, but overall it wasn't that bad. We went to the Oak Park Regional Housing Center, and it was great! The staff were friendly and passionate. My wife quickly fell in love with the city, and we found a nice vintage rehabbed apartment for about $200 less than we were looking at in the further burbs. We signed a 6 month lease, so if I really hate the commute, I only have to put up with it for 6 months, but what we'll probably do is get a junker car, and leave it in Wheaton by the Metra, so I can take the Metra from Oak Park. This won't save a ton of time off the commute, but it will be time that I can read/do crossword puzzles/whatever while riding the train. Oak Park seems like a happy medium to us. Lots of family friendly stuff to do, plus the el for easy access to the city. We love the character, and are super excited to move.
That sounds like a reasonable solution. I actually do the same thing, take the Metra to my job in Geneva, then drive a car from the Geneva Metra station to my work place. Much less stressful taking the train than driving. Call the city of Wheaton for info regarding parking passes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago