Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Wrigleyville is at most 3 miles away from an aldis. Big freakin deal.
Although I do not acknowledge a neighborhood called "Wrigleyville" the Aldi at 4500 N. Broadway is less than a mile north of what many people call "Wrigleyville."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Although I do not acknowledge a neighborhood called "Wrigleyville" the Aldi at 4500 N. Broadway is less than a mile north of what many people call "Wrigleyville."
I didnt know there was one there, but yep.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
Quote:
Isn't that Uptown? Aldi is just South of Uptown Borders...

Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Isn't that Uptown? Aldi is just South of Uptown Borders...
Yeah it is Uptown, but it is 5 blocks away from Lake View. That is not very far at all.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
what, you mean the guy that goes on and on (and on and on and...) about his multi-thousand dollar bike collection and is always telling people to bike to work can't manage to commute a few miles to a cheap market?

seriously, get a basket for you bike, sell one and use that money towards cab fare, use Peapod, or just do like hundreds of others and deal w/ the bus. not to exaggerate, I once lived in an area where I had to take a 15 minute train ride and a bus ride to and from the supermarket (or a $20+ cab ride)
What? I can manage a 40 mile bike travel shopping workout which I did in Houston. I get bored in Houston so I get my Trek 2.1 SPA and hookup my 100lb grocery capable Burley Nomad and go to thrift stores and Walmart. Only problem is people will steal your groceries left in the Nomad so you gotta carry them around at each stop.

I can survive without a car. A bike will get me everywhere in the city. I last did a 20 mile shopping workout from North and Western to Milwaukee Village Thrift down California to Elston Village Thrift to Lawrence Village Thrift to Kedzie Village Thrift down Montrose to Western to Lawrence to Clark Village Thrift to Tai Nam down Broadway to Belmont to Diversey Clark Borders to Chicken Hut on Broadway and Belmont to Halsted North Ave home -- 20 miles travel shopping workout. Saved me $4.33 in minivan gas.

I can shop with my Burley Nomad attached to a fast road bike or a bmx bike as shown in the pic. I do this to get a workout and save gas.

So far this year I used my bikes 101 times [779.18 miles - $86.70 saved in gas] instead of vehicles to get around and save gas. Yeah, I keep a tab of every ride too!
Attached Thumbnails
No Cheap Groceries in some Chicago Areas...-trek-2.1-spa-burley.jpg   No Cheap Groceries in some Chicago Areas...-dscf2053.jpg  

Old 11-02-2009, 07:04 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times
Damn you're weird.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Do you use that trailing car to hide kidnapped babies and toddlers?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Do you use that trailing car to hide kidnapped babies and toddlers?
No; I last used it at Strack & Van Til to haul 12 Diet Sunkist 2 liters home.

If you people wanna do heavy duty shopping by biking the Burley Nomad and a bike with panniers is your solution! My Trek 2.1 SPA with Burley Nomad combo probably cost $3200 together... but it has upgraded ceramic bearings on bombproof Ksyrium SLs! So this is a fast bike shopping solution... I towed 12 Diet Sunkists 2 Liter at 20 mph going home on this setup!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM

I bet your kidneys and pancreas love you.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM

295 posts, read 838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I went for a 20 mile travel shopping bike ride, and as I went through Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park I noticed these area have no places for cheap groceries like an Aldi [closest is Uptown's], Food4Less, etc. Just Jewels [expensive!] and Treasure Island [way expensive!]. No way would I ever live in such yuppie places; Wicker Park [although very yuppie] is fine and very close to cheap grocery shopping.

Like my $1.89 Target Lean Cuisine Meals go for $4.79 at Treasure Island!

And weekend shopping traffic is just a horror in Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park!
There are small chains in Lincoln Park along Clark such as the Lincoln Park Market and Big Apple Foods. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes they're not, so they're are options. You just have to check the Sunday papers for coupons and sales throughout the week to see where to find the deals. I consider Jewel inexpensive but I usually just hit up my parents for their Sam's Club membership once a month anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: