Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:43 PM

182 posts, read 511,847 times

Advertisements

cool stuff, i'll be checking Tiesto out in Chicago over Halloween. Was looking to check out a House club on Friday the 30th, will check some of these places mentioned out. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM

37 posts, read 138,720 times
Thats one way to tell if you grew up in Chicago in the 80's, everyone was playing House.It was not only in clubs/halls/bars/VFW's it was all on the radio to.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I think House Music's recognition is coming. It's really more of an experience than just a genre. The most interesting thing about it IMO is the types of people it brings together. It really appeals to a diverse crowd which I love to see in a nation that is still pretty divided and segregated.

I think Congress needs a little Jack in their life. Maybe then they could all just get along.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
If any of you house heads from the 80s remember Fast Eddie, my sister used to date him at his height, LOL. My cousin hosts a live house music online show every wednesday. They have festivals every summer at Jackson Park too.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
If any of you house heads from the 80s remember Fast Eddie, my sister used to date him at his height, LOL...
I forget, he went to Prosser right?

Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM

248 posts, read 1,073,781 times
lady gaga is kinda housey.....

Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I remember before moving to Chicago I didn't know anything about House Music. I'd also mistaken many other forms (if you'll call htem that) of House to be House music. I'd heard Techno, Trance, etc, and just wasn't that impressed. I'd also never experienced the music in an actual club setting.

After moving to Chicago I got my first taste of House Music at a friends birthday party. The first thing that I noticed was the atmosphere. The crowd was extremely diverse and you couldn't really put a finger on the vibe of the party. There were tons of different styles and races represented at the party. The 2nd thing I noticed was the music. I really couldn't put my finger on it. The DJ mixed in hip-hop, soul, blues, oldies, gospel, tribal beats, even latin beats into the constant beat that was House. It was an eye opening, and unique experience.

I was just wanting to get some other people's feedback on their House experiences in Chicago. It seems to be a universal sound and I'm just curious as to why some of you think that more people haven't experienced real Chicago House and hwy it never seemed to gain traction in other parts of the country. It seems that House caught fire in the rest of the world but still has never picked up steam here in the US.

Thoughts??
Summer '83 was the best. I was living in Evanston at the time. WGCI and WBMX. I'd pay money for a list of every song and artist that was played from June '83 to November '83 on both these stations. Incredible music that was very uplifting and empowering. I've heard House music from NY, LA, Atlanta, Miami, and none of it comes even close. The techno craze that followed was a watered-down, plastic, soul-less, uninspiring version. I find most techno music to be an insult to the real House music that was played in Chicago in '83, so no wonder popularity waned.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:51 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Summer '83 was the best. I was living in Evanston at the time. WGCI and WBMX. I'd pay money for a list of every song and artist that was played from June '83 to November '83 on both these stations. Incredible music that was very uplifting and empowering. I've heard House music from NY, LA, Atlanta, Miami, and none of it comes even close. The techno craze that followed was a watered-down, plastic, soul-less, uninspiring version. I find most techno music to be an insult to the real House music that was played in Chicago in '83, so no wonder popularity waned.
House music in Chicago circa 83 was pretty much underground, confined to mainly the Black and Gay scene. Even WBMX dance mixes in the early 80's were more Italo Disco than "House" music. House music, like many types of music has gone through many phases. I really enjoy House music, but I can't stand the mid to late 80's ghetto/booty house music. Talk about garbage.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 AM

248 posts, read 1,073,781 times
po po po poker face.....

Old 12-18-2009, 10:25 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall C View Post
House music. So Chicago is to blame for that garbage?
You're obviously ignorant, and we don't need to see your pictures from last weekend on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago