Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 AM

6 posts, read 31,156 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!

I might be moving soon to Chicago as I received a job offer.
The point is I have never lived in the States before so I really can't figure out how expensive it might be.
The minimum salary is 23,000 $ par year and the maximum is 28,000.
I would share a flat and I am not too much into bars, locals, restaurants and similar.
Can I live with such money in a basic but nice place, in a nice area? For nice I mean a pleasant and safe place, well connected through means of transportation.
I would really need your sincere opinion!
With that money could I enjoy the city? I mean, could I go once in a while to the cinema or to some exhibition, museum or similar?
Any tip and help is very mcuh appreciated!!

Thank you so much and have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,047,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfagor71 View Post
Good morning everyone!

I might be moving soon to Chicago as I received a job offer.
The point is I have never lived in the States before so I really can't figure out how expensive it might be.
The minimum salary is 23,000 $ par year and the maximum is 28,000.
I would share a flat and I am not too much into bars, locals, restaurants and similar.
Can I live with such money in a basic but nice place, in a nice area? For nice I mean a pleasant and safe place, well connected through means of transportation.
I would really need your sincere opinion!
With that money could I enjoy the city? I mean, could I go once in a while to the cinema or to some exhibition, museum or similar?
Any tip and help is very mcuh appreciated!!

Thank you so much and have a great day!
I'm not trying to be negative, but you're really going to have to watch every penny at $23K year. You may have to look for a 2nd job for additional income. You most likely will have to live in a fringe area which can be dicey.
Do your homework carefully on the areas you are looking to live.
It can be done, but you're just going to have to be very cognizant of your dollars.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,367,048 times
What kind of job is it? That sounds really low for most professions. $28K is better. A second part time job til you move up and make more money, would be good to buffer you against any unforeseen expenses (doctor, dentist, etc. which are very expensive here even with insurance). And speaking of insurance - what about the benefits the job offers. I am assuming insurance - if not forget about it.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM

Thank you very much for your answer.
The job is in a private school and the position is for a primary school teacher.
Maybe, being a foreign, they try to take advantage from my unfamiliarity with the context. Moreover, I don't think insurance is included. I have actually written asking for more information but I have not received anything back so far.
If both of you speak about second job, well it really means that is not feasible to live on that money.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 AM
mh7

102 posts, read 333,421 times
Thats exactly half the salary I made when I graduated...12.5 years ago. Teachers don't make a whole lot, but that seems very low.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,754,188 times
Ironically, private school teachers usually make less than their public counterparts. This salary doesn't surprise me a whole lot. What kind of school is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Other teachers before you have lived on this amount, but the previous posts about watching every penny are accurate.

Also, there are lots of little tips and tricks for going to local attrations for little money. THe public library allows Chicago residents to check out free passes to local museums, and especially for teachers there are lots of little special offers and discounts. I'm not a teacher, though, so my knowledge is limited.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,898,305 times
That is for all practical purposes minimum wage in Chicago.

Assuming 40 hour workweeks over 52 weeks, that's $11 an hour.

You'll need to find roommates and be satisfied living in extremely tight quarters - you can do it, but I'd be thinking about my next steps career-wise if it was me.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM

It's a school of foreign language specialized in teaching children go there to learn foreign languages.
cdc3217, thanks a lot for the tips about teachers!
I'll keep it in mind in case I decide to accept this offer.
Anyway, Chi-town natives, maybe I forgot adding something important.
23,000 par year is for 32 hours par week.
While 28,000 plus 1000 benefit par year is for 40 hours par week.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,187,299 times
As a starter job, you can live on it, especially if you get roommates or are willing to live in a small studio flat. There are places in Edgewater with cheap studios. If living on the far north side of the city puts you close enough to your job, and you want a studio, check out 6214 N Winthrop. it's clean, quiet, has inexpensive studios and is just 1/2 block from the Granville stop on the Red Line.

Most people starting out don't make much at first, and primary education teachers, especially at private schools, usually make less than most. To give you a point of comparison, the per-capita average income in the Chicago area is between 50% and 100% higher than your starting salary, depending on how you define the statistics.

But, everyone makes less starting out than they will later on, and I know people who live on their own and earn even less than your salary, so it's definitely possible. Like others said, though, you will probably find yourself looking for a second job so you can save up money or improve your lifestyle a little.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,236,910 times
wow, that's honestly a very low salary to have living in the city. My roommate started out at Chicago Public Schools as a 22 year old almost a decade ago and was making $36K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: