Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,638 times

Advertisements

i've been to chicago once and stayed in magnificent mile for a great price.

this time i'm going with my brother to check out law programs at university of chicago and northwestern. i'd like to spend a lot of time in the wicker park area, lincoln park, and generally along milwaukee avenue. he'd want to check out the loop.

how easy is it it to get around if i book a flight on expedia with a hotel near either o-hare or midway? are there pockets with cheaper hotels closer to where i intend to spend most of my time?

if i need to, i'll spend more. but i am a poor bastard and i have a few other travel plans outlined to fit into the budget as well this year (as does he). last time i didn't get out and about enough, i like public transportation, and am not averse to spending a bit of time in commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,129,317 times
I'll say whats often said to others, try bidding on priceline to stay in a downtown hotel. If that doesn't work, O'Hare has hotels w/in walking distance to CTA stops, Midway does not.

Since you'll be going between Evanston and Hyde Park, something in the loop would obviously be most convenient.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,700,297 times
www.hotwire.com

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM

209 posts, read 591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

Since you'll be going between Evanston and Hyde Park, something in the loop would obviously be most convenient.
Northwestern's law school is on the downtown campus in Streeterville, so there will be no need to go to Evanston.

If you decide to stay at a hotel near one of the airports, go with O'Hare rather than Midway. The Wicker Park/Milwaukee Avenue area you want to spend time in is right on the Blue Line that goes to O'Hare. Lincoln Park is a short cab ride from Wicker Park.

You can take the Blue Line to the Loop and get up to Northwestern's law school easily (again, a short cab ride or a short bus ride and walk, if you do your homework to find out which buses you can take).

Hyde Park is 6-7 miles south of the Loop, so to you'd need to take either the Metra commuter train or the Jeffrey Express bus to 59th street. The train costs a little more, but is much faster. You'd also need to check the schedule in advance to avoid a long wait.

There aren't many areas in the city limits that have lots of hotels, other than the Loop. The only other area you should try is Lakeview/Lincoln Park. Off the top of my head, there's a Days Inn, a Best Western, and two hotels that operate under the name City Suites in this area.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,400,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'll say whats often said to others, try bidding on priceline to stay in a downtown hotel. If that doesn't work, O'Hare has hotels w/in walking distance to CTA stops, Midway does not.

Northwestern Law is in Streeterville.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,129,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Northwestern Law is in Streeterville.
Yeah, missed the law school part.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,561,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
There aren't many areas in the city limits that have lots of hotels, other than the Loop. The only other area you should try is Lakeview/Lincoln Park.
Most of Chicago's hotel rooms are downtown. (Most O'Hare-area hotels are outside the city, with many in Rosemont; Midway has comparatively fewer hotels, and few are within walking distance of the "L.") Unless it's a peak convention weekend, good bargains can be found at Hotwire or Priceline.

Lakeview & Lincoln Park also have some hotels, but due to the radial transit system they're really inconvenient to both Wicker Park and Hyde Park.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:08 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Most of Chicago's hotel rooms are downtown. (Most O'Hare-area hotels are outside the city, with many in Rosemont; Midway has comparatively fewer hotels, and few are within walking distance of the "L.") Unless it's a peak convention weekend, good bargains can be found at Hotwire or Priceline.

Lakeview & Lincoln Park also have some hotels, but due to the radial transit system they're really inconvenient to both Wicker Park and Hyde Park.
Agree. Priceline or Hotwire the Loop or North Michigan Ave. areas and you can generally get some good deals. If those areas offer no deals, stay at the airport and take the Blue Line. That is NOT optimal but can be the cheapest at times.

Use the CTA and buy a one or three day pass ONLINE.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Agree. Priceline or Hotwire the Loop or North Michigan Ave. areas and you can generally get some good deals. If those areas offer no deals, stay at the airport and take the Blue Line. That is NOT optimal but can be the cheapest at times.

Use the CTA and buy a one or three day pass ONLINE.
thanks for the advice. it looked like it would be about $250 cheapest or about $350 for friday thru tuesday near o'hare, each. that seems pretty damn good. i haven't seen any great deals so far for the loop. the commute seems like an hr or so to wicker park area and an hr and a half to downtown. u chicago is about 2 hrs away. is that correct?

and is there a big difference between say rosemont and some of teh surrounding areas in terms of ease/accessibility when using public transportation?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinginthecity View Post
and is there a big difference between say rosemont and some of teh surrounding areas in terms of ease/accessibility when using public transportation?
If you stay in the O'Hare or Midway Airport areas, take the hotel shuttle to either the airport and pick up the Blue or Orange line to the Loop. Or you can head to the Rosemont Blue Line station. If you stay at the O'Hare Marriott, there is a pedestrian bridge to the Blue Line Cumberland station. It is 40 minutes to the Loop from O'Hare on average UNLESS there is rail construction.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago