Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 5,436 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are two 27 year old females that have never been to Chicago. I am thinking about moving there next year and want to visit and my friend just likes to go to new places. We will be there Sept. 17 through Sept. 20. I want to get as much Chicago in as I can in four days. I want to see as much as I can tourist wise, but I also want to get a feel for the city since I hope to move there next year. I have been looking online at things to do, but was hoping to get some suggestions as well.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
the river boat tours are excellent, you get both brilliant views of the City as well as history, plus, at least one (can't remember which company) serves booze to boot.

CAF Tours (http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8 - broken link)

hmm, didn't like my Wendella Boats link, but it's www.wendellaboats.com/

this is new to me, but might help:

Chicago Lake & Chicago River Boat Tour Cruise Comparison Chart - Review

Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,987 times
I would suggest the Lincoln Park Zoo and all of the museums (I won't list them...too many).

Of course, there is shopping up and down N. Michigan Avenue at all the big stores if you get into that..

p.s. As you are thinking of moving to Chicago, you may wish to check out the very first thread in the Chicago forum as it will give lots of info. regarding various neighborhoods where locals reside and you may want to visit/get a feel for them while in the city.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
I went to the Architectural tour yesterday for the first time.

It was at sunset so it started with all the buildings as they would be during the day and ended with them as they would in the night.
It was awesome.

Funny tourists.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Take an hour and go up to the observation deck in either the Hancock or Sear Tower. Amazing views of the city and beyond.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 PM

179 posts, read 675,418 times
I prefer the Hancock views. Also, the days you will be here, Ronnies on Lake Street is having $4.99 8oz steak, potato, salad, and bread. Just thought I would throw that in. We love that place! Oh, and walk on the Lake Shore Drive path. It's awesome and free.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I think the CityPass is a really good deal. For $69 per person, you can see the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, the Planetarium, the Museum of Science and Industry, and either the John Hancock Observatory or the Skydeck (top of the Sears Tower--sorry, Willis, it'll always be the Sears Tower to me!). You will easily spend that much seeing just a couple of those places.

Chicago CityPass®: Visit 5 Chicago attractions for just $69 per pass, a $139.50 value!

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-27-2009 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Science & Industry, not Science & History

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
By the way, my in-laws came to visit last month, and my husband took them on the architectural boat tour, and they said it was fantastic.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:17 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Some of the things I always enjoyed seeing is the Navy Pier, The Lincoln Park Zoo Great Ape House and a tour of Lower Wacker Drive with a cabbie that knows the city history. The Outer Drive any time except during rush hour, the Loop, the twin towers, the Trump tower if its finished, The Chicago Board of Trade, and Chinatown. If you like Frank Lloyd Wright architecture you will fall in love with Oak Park. Oh, and don't forget Chicago Pizza and a drive by McCormick Place and Buckingham Fountain. Bring your camera and extra SMS cards.

If you go, see and eat everything everyone tells you to do you will go home 10# heavier, broke and dead tired because you won't sleep for three days. Three days is not enough hours. But you will have one heck of a good time trying to do it.

Chicago knows how to cook! There used to be a fish shack by Navy Pier that had food to die for, but I do not know if it is still open and serving food or not.

The most important thing to do it have fun!!!!!

Here is an overview of what Chicago looked like fify years ago. It's fun and a few of the old buildings are still standing.

Last edited by linicx; 08-27-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 AM

179 posts, read 675,418 times
You might also want to try the double decker hop on and off bus tours. They go all around the city and you can get off and back on again at any of their stops. You also get a couple of free things when you get off - Garrett popcorn, Hershey bar, t-shirt, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago