Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 PM

60 posts, read 163,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderama View Post
What was the specific neighborhood in Old Town where you live? I am looking at spending around $2,200 monthly for a two bedroom in the area.
Is that realistic for a COOL pad? I am only going to be living in Chicago for about a year, but want something comfortable. From what I have looked at online it seems very reasonable compared to Boulder. My dad will help me above 2k if needed, but I would prefer taking care of it myself.
I love Boulder. I'd love it a lot more if I had a lot of money. My guess is for 2K you'll find something real nice here. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbinla View Post
We are thinking about checking out Chicago in early November.

Chicago is a very active city regardless of the season, but it's also fairly bi-polar between winter and summer.

November might seem like a bit of a shock coming from California, but just be cognizant during your stay that things really blow up here in the summer as far as people out and about, gardens and greenery everywhere as well as festivals going on non-stop.

Compared to LA which is fairly stable year round, visiting Chicago in December/January compared to July/August is basically like visiting a different city. I"m not saying that to mean that things shut down in winter, but they definitely shift. It's one of the reasons I love Chicago, it just flows year-round from one form to another. If you have a hatred of cold weather though, obviously know what you're getting yourself into. I don't find it that big of a deal. I mean I roll my eyes at the freezing days, but just put on enough layers and you're good to go.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 PM

23 posts, read 49,421 times
Actually, it's the hot weather we hate... I've been to DC in the winter and the mountains of California... So, I've been in the snow and I like it... My partner lived in NYC for a year and loved the change of seasons... That's why I want check it out in November when some chill starts... I actually like cold weather and if 2.8 million Chicagoans can handle it then I don't see why I can't...Also, we have earthquakes, wildfires and flash floods in L.A....

Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
Quote:
Actually, it's the hot weather we hate
Me too. I just try to get through August every year. I love fall the most. I have family in southern locations that were glad to get away from Chicago winters but I really hate visiting them unless it's winter.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Actually, it's the hot weather we hate... I've been to DC in the winter and the mountains of California... So, I've been in the snow and I like it... My partner lived in NYC for a year and loved the change of seasons... That's why I want check it out in November when some chill starts... I actually like cold weather and if 2.8 million Chicagoans can handle it then I don't see why I can't...Also, we have earthquakes, wildfires and flash floods in L.A....
Good attitude! There will most likely days in winter when you and just about every other Chicagoan wonders why we live here, but really, the cold keeps away a lot of people who shouldn't live here! It's all a matter of layering in the cold. I'm a big fan of wool.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 12,395 times
[quote=Edbinla;10361898]I've been to DC in the winter and the mountains of California... So, I've been in the snow and I like it... quote]

I have lived in both DC and Chicago and bear in mind that DC is much more temperate and has considerably milder winters than Chicago (in my opinion). But, like you said, I'm sure you can handle it.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
[quote=AnnaLulu;10368331]
Quote:
I've been to DC in the winter and the mountains of California... So, I've been in the snow and I like it... quote]

I have lived in both DC and Chicago and bear in mind that DC is much more temperate and has considerably milder winters than Chicago (in my opinion). But, like you said, I'm sure you can handle it.
DC doesn't have considerably milder winters. At best, it's anywhere from five to ten degrees warmer. And DC has that damp cold, which Chicago doesn't have-- Chicago winters are notoriously "dry". But the Atlantic Ocean spreads its deep chill over the east coast.

I've moved between LA and Chicago, and all I can say is that the lifestyles are significantly different. I think the mistake people make is assuming that LA isn't urban... Oh, it's urban alright, but it's urbanity with no planning.

The weather, for me, was a huge issue. I sit here in Los Angeles and although I consider Chicago my home, I really don't think that I could do that again. In a few months, my windows will still be open to the sounds of summer: warm breezes, children playing outdoors, the ocean... While back east my friends will be shoveling feet of snow out of their driveways and sidewalks under slate gray skies.

Other than that, Chicago hands down

Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
[quote=coldwine;10377650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLulu View Post

In a few months, my windows will still be open to the sounds of summer: warm breezes, children playing outdoors, the ocean... While back east my friends will be shoveling feet of snow out of their driveways and sidewalks under slate gray skies.
You live in L.A? If so, you need to rephrase your sentence to "in a few months, my barred windows will still be open, Crips and Bloods shooting outdoors, the earthquakes and smog... and maybe this year we wont have to inhale wildfire smoke or flee our home."

And while we might have to shovel every once in awhile (no big deal), at least the kids around here get to experience life's little charms and build wonderful memories in the wintertime. Meanwhile kids in L.A. get to, well, ummmmmm... stare at a never-changing environment. I yawn for them.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

You live in L.A? If so, you need to rephrase your sentence to "in a few months, my barred windows will still be open, Crips and Bloods shooting outdoors, the earthquakes and smog... and maybe this year we wont have to inhale wildfire smoke or flee our home."
Honestly, crime was by far worse in Chicago than it is in Los Angeles. It's not the big crimes that really happen in either cities, but the petty vandalism. About the worst thing that I see here is graffiti. I've never once had my car windows smashed, broken into or otherwise harmed. I've never had my home broken into ( I can't count the number of times that happened in Chicago), been mugged (at least five times in Chicago) or held at gunpoint (three times myself, and we've just had another poster describe an identical experience). I regularly drive through a very "bad' neighborhood outside of downtown Los Angeles and about the worst thing that happens to me is the street vendor not having Coke (the drink) when I regularly stop at the red light on his corner after a long day.

I guess there are Crips and Bloods here, at least in theory; I've never seen one. I have, however, had a few personal encounters with Chicago's gangs.

Quote:
[/smackdown]

Quote:
And while we might have to shovel every once in awhile (no big deal), at least the kids around here get to experience life's little charms and build wonderful memories in the wintertime. Meanwhile kids in L.A. get to, well, ummmmmm... stare at a never-changing environment. I yawn for them.
Skiing, snowboarding and rolling down snow-covered hills in the mountains is part of most childrens' lives here in LA

Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
I am thinking of moving From L.A .. I'm so tired of hot weather, smog and rude people...My partner and I want to live somewhere with 4 seasons and still have a big city feel...The only thing that worries us are the brutal winters, since we are both native southern Californians. Although,we both think people are ridiculous out here when they say they are cold and it's 50 degrees...Also, we both hate the dry year round heat... Chicago seems diverse and not as spread out as L.A.... Another thing I wonder about is the cost of living, does anyone know if there is a big difference between the two cities? We would be renting an apartment....
Do yourselves a HUGE favor and come here and visit for a week in January or February and see how you like it. Don't go off someone else's opinion on whether the winters here are bad or not because everyone has their own tollerance levels and don't come here now because this is NOTHING like what Chicago is like come Nov-April. I personally can't stand our winters here and lack of springs, but IMO summers here are ok and falls are usually ok. That said, you see if you like our weather, don't listen to us who live here who are used to it. I have been here better than 30 years on and off and still can't stand it weather wise, but that's just me.

Big city feel? Lakeview and Lincoln Park. Anywhere near Halsted and Fullerton or Broadway and Addison area. That is about as big city as it gets without actually being in the downtown area where rents tend to be a bit extreme. If you can afford $1500-2000 a month for a basic apartment then sure go for the downtown area, but most of us can only dream of affording that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago