Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:33 AM

58 posts, read 169,996 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from the Champaign Urbana area to either Chicago or NYC. I've been to Chicago before and I consider it home even though I've never lived there and since NYC is on a hiring freeze for teachers, sell your city to me Chicago residents. If you would can you tell me some things you really love about your city and tell me a little bit about public transporation. I'm sick of driving; would I need a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
You would not need a car, but public transportation is more convenient in some places than others. Convenient access to the L system is the key to a satisfying non-car existence.

If money were no object.... but given the tremendous difference in cost of living, especially on a teacher salary, Chicago pretty much sells itself.

If you plan on teaching in Chicago Public Schools, here's to hoping you have the patience of 7 Jobs.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
I could not imagine living in Chicago and not having a car. Unreal.

How would you get to a Home Depot? Costco?
Zipcar. I-go.

Are you going to big box stores every day?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABiologyTeacher View Post
I'm looking to move from the Champaign Urbana area to either Chicago or NYC. I've been to Chicago before and I consider it home even though I've never lived there and since NYC is on a hiring freeze for teachers, sell your city to me Chicago residents. If you would can you tell me some things you really love about your city and tell me a little bit about public transporation. I'm sick of driving; would I need a car?
You can definitely get by without a car in Chicago, though it's a bit tougher on the south side (where you'd most likely be placed since you're a new teacher in the system), but the L system is extensive enough so that you would most likely either need to walk a few blocks from the station or take one bus line to the school.

Chicago has a very convenient public transportation system that, while no Manhattan, is one of the best in the US.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 PM

121 posts, read 322,803 times
Quote:
How do you get to the zipcar?
Ummmmm, you walk? According to zip car's interactive map, I'm within walking distance of 9 stations and 17 cars. 7 cars within 2 blocks.

We still own a car, but to believe you can't survive in Chicago with only zip car is ridiculous.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
I could not imagine living in Chicago and not having a car. Unreal.

How would you get to a Home Depot? Costco?
Exactly! Bring your car, Chicago is a car town. Unlike Manhattan and Brooklyn, there actually is room for your car in most places. You may have to walk a block or two to get to your car some nights, but big deal! Not having a car GREATLY limits your abilities to get around this area and pretty much restricts you to the city for jobs and... well, everything. While Metra does run out to the burbs, thats fine and dandy, but what are you supposed to do once you are out there? Walk? Lets see towns like Orland Park for instance are only some 8 miles across. You really want to walk some 4-5 miles from Orland's train station to get to where you have to go out there? I think not. That said, bring your car, this will open up the suburban job market to you as well, which in many cases has more to offer than the city now thanks to a tanking economy and all the government agencies crying broke.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Exactly! Bring your car, Chicago is a car town. Unlike Manhattan and Brooklyn, there actually is room for your car in most places. You may have to walk a block or two to get to your car some nights, but big deal! Not having a car GREATLY limits your abilities to get around this area and pretty much restricts you to the city for jobs and... well, everything. While Metra does run out to the burbs, thats fine and dandy, but what are you supposed to do once you are out there? Walk? Lets see towns like Orland Park for instance are only some 8 miles across. You really want to walk some 4-5 miles from Orland's train station to get to where you have to go out there? I think not. That said, bring your car, this will open up the suburban job market to you as well, which in many cases has more to offer than the city now thanks to a tanking economy and all the government agencies crying broke.
Clearly, a car-free lifestyle would dictate that you don't really need or care to spend time in a far out suburb like Orland Park. Since the OP mentioned NYC had a freeze on hiring teachers, the obvious assumption is he's looking to teach in the city, thus making your comments that cars are necessary in the suburbs irrelevant.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I grew up practically married to my car for around 8 years. I had it in Chicago for 2 years and realized that it was a major pain in the ass - let along expensive.

I extremely reluctantly got rid of the thing 6 years ago and can't even imagine buying another. I save so much money on tickets, gas, insurance, car payments, city stickers, oil changes, parking headaches, worried it might get broken into, moving it for street cleaning, etc. etc. etc....

I rent a car once every 3 months, drive back to see the family a few hours away, and then do some serious stocking up at Wal-Mart while I"m there. I've never once really had any problems, and I never find myself saying "damn it, I wish I had a car today".

Friends have cars and you can tag along, get a Zip Car (which I've yet had to do), and just buy what you need a few days a week on the way home from work.

It all depends on your situation. I live on the north lakefront, but obviously if you lived in Beverly or something, why not have a car? Yes Chicago CAN be a car town, but at the same time it certainly can NOT be a car town. I know dozens of people without cars, and we all get along perfectly fine. I think once you get rid of the thing and realize how to live life without it your persepective changes. I have a good friend with a spankin new SUV in Lakeview, and the other day he mentioned to me that he just realized he hadn't even driven it in almost a month. He just walks everywhere.

I just walk to Home Depot and get flowers and other things, and live 5 minutes from a grocery store, 2 minutes from a 7-11 and liquor store, book stores, restaurants, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I was worried at first about getting out to the burbs - but quickly realized I have no reason to go out there. I think I actually make it to the burbs around ONCE a year. There's no reason to leave the city if you don't have to or want to. I must say it's so different to be out there driving in the masses of cars, wide streets and parking lots. It's funny how use you get to something, and then are shocked by a different scenario that use to be your "normal". I went to Woodfield Mall last winter and almost felt like I was in a movie it was so surreal.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM

121 posts, read 322,803 times
Quote:
I see that newcomers to Chicago always end up "near the Lake" because "they love water" or "need to be near water" or whatever, but eventually people realize that Chicago is a car town, they move out of LP and LV, etc. for more space. Everyone concludes that to be without a car is very restrictive, and for weirdos.
Listen Dbag, they end up in near north because it's the nicest area in the region, not because they need to be near the water.

I love when people who made the worst decision of their lives to move out to the suburbs try justify it to themselves with BS like this.

Enjoy your "life" at Costco and Home Depot! hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago