Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:32 PM

118 posts, read 194,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Yikes. I wonder what % of the purchase price the original split-faced blocks/their installation was... talk about penny wise but pound foolish (people like your friend couldn't have known about the shoddy construction, of course).
Like he said, those are masonry (brick) faced. Most of the places I've seen in that complex are from $650k-$1.1mm and the one I saw had listed their special in the MLS, saying it had already been paid, was right around 10% of the listing price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
Like he said, those are masonry (brick) faced. Most of the places I've seen in that complex are from $650k-$1.1mm and the one I saw had listed their special in the MLS, saying it had already been paid, was right around 10% of the listing price.
I don't think you can assume masonry means brick these days, masonry refers to the craftsmanship, not the materials. To be sure, they are often one and the same, but I have seen plenty of all cinder block buildings constructed by masons. You do still have to use mortar to connect them, after all.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:37 AM

554 posts, read 2,502,107 times
Hi Guys -

In lieu of starting a new thread, I thought I would revive an old one. Kind of a question, kind of my experience.

I'm currently looking at purchasing a condo in an up-and-coming neighborhood in the city. It's a foreclosure, 3BD/2BA 1700 sqft for $199k. It needs minor work (floors need finishing/coating, need some appliances, etc) but it's in a great location. I excitedly made an offer (especially since things in this area are being snapped up as soon as they hit the market).

Anyway, fast forward to the home inspection, and the inspector tells me that the walls are wet. At first I thought he was joking because he was filling up the whirlpool tub in the bathroom. But he said his thermal imaging results showed "moisture" behind the walls. He showed me where the baseboard was separating from the wall, and even said he detected water by the outlets in the master bedroom. As a new home owner and non-electrician, it sounds like I'd be electrocuted if I plugged something into this outlet. But then he removed the outlet cover and said it's dry. Huh?

Anyway, this led to a whole research project on split face block. At this point, I've been inundated with information, similar to how SFB is with water . First I've read they're fine if they're maintained every 5-7 years. Then I saw maintenance is required every 3-5 years. Then I saw it's best to just stay away from them. Most of the information was from around the housing crisis era (2009-2013), but I can imagine the information still stands today.

The condo association, while fairly forthcoming with information, said they haven't done any maintenance/sealing on the SFB since the building was built (2005). They will look into it, "provided there are funds to do so." I'm worried because I've seen various estimates to how much it costs to maintain this material. I've seen anywhere from $2k to seal to $19k for it to properly be done. I definitely don't want to purchase a condo, only to have to shell out money for a special assessment in order to keep the building structurally sound. I figure the special assessment will be pretty high since the SFB hasn't been maintained.

With all of this in mind, I noticed that the bank that currently owns the condo painted the walls in the unit. At first I thought it was nice, but now I'm scared that there may be a mold issue from the SFB and they're trying to mask it. The condo association did say other units aren't having any water issues, though. From what I've read, however, there can be an issue before you see any symptoms. In fact, I've read seeing symptoms means the problem has been around for a while.

With it being a foreclosure, it's being sold as-is and the bank will has no responsibility after the purchase goes through. Despite it being a foreclosure, I've gotten all assessments paid and $3k closing cost credit. It sounds nice, but now I'm worried that I'm buying a lemon.

If you were in this situation, would you move forward or walk away? Also, does anyone have any stories around a SFB purchase? Did it turn out okay, or do you wish you had more information prior to making your purchase?

TL;DR: Very novice potential homebuyer scared of SFB. Building has had no maintenance on SFB since built. Am I overreacting?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:31 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
SFB is a terrible product that should never have been used for residential units in our climate. It is not so bad for things like warehouses that never really have folks cooking / taking showers and "loading" the interior with moisture, but it awful when all the normal household activities end up creating a sort of time bomb... Any initial "cost savings" is illusory if /when massive hidden structural issues are uncovered. In some ways the sorts of dramatic failures that occurred early on, with rain or snow literally soaking through the block into the residential space in obvious wet drywall and such were better as they were so obvious it was impossible to ignore.

The slower deterioration that happens with semi-water soaked SFB never really drying out completely means that there is an increased risk of long term mold and similar issues.

Honestly, I'd take a pass. The sorts of things that can go wrong down the line, maybe right when you decide that you want to list for sale, that could wipe out any profit are just too great a risk.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:20 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Hi Guys -

In lieu of starting a new thread, I thought I would revive an old one. Kind of a question, kind of my experience.

If you were in this situation, would you move forward or walk away? Also, does anyone have any stories around a SFB purchase? Did it turn out okay, or do you wish you had more information prior to making your purchase?

TL;DR: Very novice potential homebuyer scared of SFB. Building has had no maintenance on SFB since built. Am I overreacting?
I'm friends with an inspector. She hates that stuff and recommends that people avoid those buildings.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
My big thing when we bought was to avoid split block, we bought a place from the mid 1990's that was entirely brick and it's been fine for over 20 years with no tucking or water problems at all.

I'm surprised due to the hysteria back around 2009-2013 of the split block "time bomb" that it's now 2018 and I feel like I haven't seen anything much on the topic. You'd think people would start having all these problems by now.

I do look out at all the buildings directly to our north, south and west that are all split block from around 2005-2007 and I can see the chalky white lines running across all the buildings where their floors hit the exterior. I know that's all wear and erosion of the block where it hits the floor joists. Not good!

Old 05-14-2018, 02:07 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,153 times
anything from that era is Mickey Mouse construction. total joke for what these places are charging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago