Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,719 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My son and I are moving to Chicago's Beverly area. I've lived in a suburb outside of SF for 30 years and am nervous about moving to a big city like Chicago. We have to be in Beverly for various reasons but I wanted peoples take on the area. I know Chi has its high crime areas and from my research Beverly is not so bad. I have seen comments that crime from outside the area is bleeding into this area and being a woman alone with a toddler, I am a bit frightened to hear this. Anyone have any info to share?

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Except maybe for its commercial strips such as Western Avenue, Beverly feels a lot more suburban than urban in nature. Population density is about 2,200 per square mile (compared to 12.500 for the city as a whole).

The very eastern edge of Beverly borders an iffy neighborhood, but whatever troubles that neighborhood has all but stop right at the Beverly border. If you're concerned at all about "crime seepage" then stay away from the eastern edge of Beverly, but even there it's not much of an issue. Some of the biggest houses on the biggest lots in the city are on Beverly's eastern edge.

Beverly is one of the few remaining neighborhoods in Chicago where Irish heritage still matters to enough residents to define the culture of the neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
What reason do you need to be in Beverly? If it's a city residency requirement, the far Northwest Side has the safest neighborhoods in the city. But if you're inheriting a house or something, that won't help you.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
I live in east beverly. My block is more rustic than suburban. My house is large and sits on several lots (1/2 acre). It is a peaceful and incredibly beautiful residential area, especially if you like old homes. A huge number are incredibly well preserved with very few modifications. The commercial districts though are disappointing. There are probably five or six businesses in the area that are relevant to my life and of reasonable quality. I use those frequently. Beyond that I'm in the south loop in 20 minutes to do my shopping. Train to the city is excellent also. Crime beyond theft is not really a major concern. Something about the neighborhood makes it easy to know everyone, so it feels very cozy. I wouldn't worry about being safe at all. Tons of families live there.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM

You should check out www.beverlymorganpark.net if you haven't seen it. The info is very comprehensive and mostly accurate, though I would argue that in some cases it paints a nicer portrait of the local businesses than they deserve.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Might I recommend taking a Google Walk through the area, to decide if you like the way it looks?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,719 times
Hello,

I actually visited the area last year and thought the main area was very nice and family oriented, however, it was daytime and everything looks good in daylight. The surrounding areas were questionable. When you say east Beverly, how far east? For example, the street we would be living on is Prospect which is 2 blocks from the prestigious Longwood Drive. Is that too far east?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 PM

I live nearby. Prospect is the essentially the eastern boundary of the integrated area (ie few whites live east of there). There are some huge beautiful homes but also some two-flats mixed in. I have friends who live all along there. It is totally fine and the deals are pretty amazing now. I notice lots of young families moving into and fixing up some pretty amazing homes. I think it's a cool area. Not like central or north beverly though which feels more manicured and established, though. It really depends on your tastes. I would have zero hesitation to live there.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 PM

By the way Prospect isn't two blocks east of Longwood. It's more like four minimum, maybe six.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Beverly is safe, probably the most suburban of all Chicago neighborhoods. The neighborhood actually have hills and large homes with a sizable lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: