Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Chicagoland Airport?
O'Hare International 43 49.43%
Midway International 40 45.98%
Gary International 4 4.60%
Mitchell International 6 6.90%
Rockford International 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times

Advertisements

^ not me. I hate Midway. I can basically fly anywhere out of O'Hare. And it's quick now. The TSA lines are gone.

Forgot to mention I hate SW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM

128 posts, read 97,943 times
I love Midway. Well, I miss the McDonald's in the concourses which they took out just recently (stupid, stupid move considering the volume that flies out of there in the mornings). I love Southwest too. For the specific destinations I fly to, they're the cheapest, and they don't necessitate flying on either a regional jet, or connecting at some out-of-the-way place like Seattle or Portland. Quickest boarding procedure in the business and I enjoy the game of picking my own seat (your mileage may vary - choosing a seat seems to scare some people!).

Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
I'm surprised two picked Gary. From time to time it has scheduled flights, but is mostly just a general aviation airport.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I'm surprised two picked Gary. From time to time it has scheduled flights, but is mostly just a general aviation airport.
I saw that too. I laughed... I'm just a couple miles away and have never even been there!

Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Nobody voted for Rockford? they do bill themselves as "Chicago-Rockford International Airport" even though Milwaukee always advertises as "Chicago's 3rd Airport" and has been doing so since 1990. Places like Rockford, Springfield, Madison seem like decent places to fly into but not fly out of.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Nobody voted for Rockford? they do bill themselves as "Chicago-Rockford International Airport" even though Milwaukee always advertises as "Chicago's 3rd Airport" and has been doing so since 1990. Places like Rockford, Springfield, Madison seem like decent places to fly into but not fly out of.
Rockford's airport is a large cargo hub but little else. Sure, you can fly out of there to a half-dozen different locations, but most are only 2-3 days a week. A popular destination like Orlando? You'll be landing in Sanford instead, so check carefully if you're expecting a shuttle to one of the various destinations in the area (they might be looking for you at MCO instead!). Plus, you'll probably be stuck on a regional jet, thus limiting your carry-on items to smaller items only.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
It's odd that you include Milwaukee and Rockford (which are well outside of Chicagoland) and Gary (which is well within Chicagoland, but last I heard didn't have any commercial flights).

I prefer Midway over O'Hare when I have a choice (easier to get to, easier to get around, fewer delays), but since I'm often flying international I often don't have a choice. I've never flown out of Gary's airport because it has never been an option. I wish it was, as it's actually more convenient to much of the city in terms of travel time than the two airports that are actually in the city. (I would think it would have the potential to be to Chicago what Newark's airport is to NYC.)

If I'm choosing an airport outside of (but within driving distance from) Chicagoland, I prefer South Bend over Rockford or Milwaukee. I'm not sure sure why you didn't include SB when you included the others. They are all roughly the same distance from the city, depending on what part of the city you are going to/from.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:02 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Nobody voted for Rockford? they do bill themselves as "Chicago-Rockford International Airport" even though Milwaukee always advertises as "Chicago's 3rd Airport" and has been doing so since 1990.
That's some pretty serious wishful thinking from the marketing departments of both of those airports to name and/or promote themselves as such. It's funny enough that Gary's airport calls itself "Gary/Chicago," but with a distance 55 miles closer to the Loop than Rockford's or Milwaukee's airports, it certainly has a much better case than they do.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:48 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
It's odd that you include Milwaukee and Rockford (which are well outside of Chicagoland) and Gary (which is well within Chicagoland, but last I heard didn't have any commercial flights).
Mitchell is only 40 min from Gurnee and only 30 min from the state line. Which is an easy drive for North Shore commuters. I have a friend who lives in Crystal Lake and he flies out of Mitchell with 4 kids it's easier and less stressful to be able to pull right up to the terminal at Mitchell than figuring parking and shuttles and remote lots of O'hare. You can run charter flights out of Gary, I put it in there for that reason but yeah I probably could of added South Bend but I never heard of anyone in Chicago or the burbs going to Indiana to fly somewhere.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:49 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
O’Hare>>Midway>>Mitchell>Rockford

Gary is not a viable airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago