Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Chicagoland Airport?
O'Hare International 43 49.43%
Midway International 40 45.98%
Gary International 4 4.60%
Mitchell International 6 6.90%
Rockford International 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times

Advertisements

Is Midway still kind of a dump? I have not flown out of Midway since 2005 and I just remember it being rundown or at least compared to shiny O'hare. Mitchell used to be a dump but it looks much nicer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 06:52 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve&Adam View Post
Years ago, like probably 15-20 years ago, my parents had a flight out of Milwaukee. I don't remember where they were going, but it must have been the deal of the century to make them even consider it. Must've been a weekday because I wasn't around to drive them up there, and its hard to imagine one of the established airport limo services agreeing to a NW Indiana-Milwaukee run, but somehow they made it all the way up there. The irony being - their plane made a stop at O'Hare to pick up additional passengers! Yes, it was cheaper to fly from the plane's originating airport than it was to board at O'Hare, and my parents loved to spend a dollar to save forty cents elsewhere. I am sure it wasn't cheap to get from Hammond (where they lived at the time) up to Milwaukee.

For their return trip, they were able to exit the plane at O'Hare rather than stay on for the final leg to MKE.
I know of a flight like that. I think the destination is LA. Some folks from Lake County fly it. The difference in fare is something like $300. I also hear they charge you extra if you get off at OHare on the return flight. That might make it worthwhile even from Hammond.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Is Midway still kind of a dump?
Not at all. Since Southwest pretty much took it over it has become really nice. Arguably nicer than O'Hare, actually. The food options are outstanding, among other things. Mainly it's just nice that you never have to walk far to get anywhere there, though.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I mean technically Chicago borders the state of Indiana.
Yep. You can even take out the "I mean technically" part of that sentence and it means the same thing and is more honest and to the point: Chicago (the city) borders the state of Indiana-- hence its burbs crossing state lines.

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 04-03-2018 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
When I fly out of Milwaukee I always see taxicabs from Chicago dropping people off
This seems insane to me. I would think the cab ride would cost more than the flight!

Old 04-04-2018, 04:08 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Not at all. Since Southwest pretty much took it over it has become really nice. Arguably nicer than O'Hare, actually. The food options are outstanding, among other things. Mainly it's just nice that you never have to walk far to get anywhere there, though.
They just redid the food options at Midway not too long ago, and I thought they are terrible now!

Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
They just redid the food options at Midway not too long ago, and I thought they are terrible now!
No Starbucks. I wonder how many flyers, especially those on expense account, take food choices into consideration when choosing an airport.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:45 AM

128 posts, read 97,943 times
Quote:
I agree. The popular Potbelly sandwich place is gone. Not that I ever ate there, but I've heard a lot of people grumble about losing it. I read somewhere the Midway location was their top selling store!

As I mentioned earlier, I miss the two McDonald's locations in the concourses. I pretty much never eat at McDonald's - unless I have an early flight somewhere. Not any more.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Hmm...I honestly don't even remember what it was like before the changes, as it's been several years now. They turned it into all-Chicago options, which I think is awesome. How could you not like that? There's a Miller's Pub, a Potbelly, a Harry Carry's, a Manny's, a Gold Coast Dogs, a Pegasus, and I forget what else. (I think one of the Pilsen Mexican restaurants-- Maybe De Colores?) I think it's amazing for a food selection at any airport, let alone the older, smaller #2 airport in a city.

A lot of cities' airports have been doing this in recent years, switching to their city's local establishments/cuisines which is so much nicer than the way it used to be with the same damned "Chili's Too!" etc. everywhere.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:52 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve&Adam View Post
I agree. The popular Potbelly sandwich place is gone. Not that I ever ate there, but I've heard a lot of people grumble about losing it. I read somewhere the Midway location was their top selling store!

As I mentioned earlier, I miss the two McDonald's locations in the concourses. I pretty much never eat at McDonald's - unless I have an early flight somewhere. Not any more.
Yeah, there are a million DD expresses now, and I REALLY miss the P'belly's, because it was the easiest place to grab Intelligentsia! Why would they replace it with, of all things, a Home Run Inn?? I really wish Metropolis would open a stand-alone location in Midway.

There are also all these kiosks with grab-and-go options, but they're mostly boring white bread sandwiches, and there's basically no variation.

I, too, am surprised about McD's, especially given that Southwest caters typically to budget flyers. McD's was surprisingly the easiest place to get oatmeal in the morning for breakfast, and their oatmeal is typically decent and healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Hmm...I honestly don't even remember what it was like before the changes, as it's been several years now. They turned it into all-Chicago options, which I think is awesome. How could you not like that? There's a Miller's Pub, a Potbelly, a Harry Carry's, a Manny's, a Gold Coast Dogs, a Pegasus, and I forget what else. I think it's amazing for a food selection at any airport, let alone the older, smaller #2 airport in a city.

A lot of cities' airports have been doing this in recent years, switching to their city's local establishments/cuisines which is so much nicer than the way it used to be with the same damned "Chili's Too!" etc. everywhere.
Potbelly's is definitely gone. Most of the Chicago options are super heavy and, in my opinion, not what I want to eat before getting on a plane.

I feel the revamp of the food options at Midway was a swing and a great, big miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago