Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 25,191 times

Advertisements

As a big fan of dancing and R&B/Soul Music, the partner dance called Chicago-Style Steppin' caught my eye and I've been taking lessons here in NY for about 2 years. It's well known on the south side and in many midwestern cities with a significant African American population but I'm curious if the greater Chicago community is familiar with this dance. Ebony has a little blurb about it in the current issue, but otherwise it doesn't seem to get much publicity. I'm one of the few white steppers, but who knows it may someday become more mainstream like other dances originating in the African American community. You can say you heard it here first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I'm still doing the Swim and the Jerk.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:07 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
This form of dancing probably will never become a hit with whites and that's fine.

When you say mainstream do you mean approved of and acepted by whites?

The dance is already a hit within the black community. No approval needed from whites.

In my observation when things become "mainstream" they usually go down hill.

Look at rap music. I am a hard core old school rap fan, once it went "mainstream". It turned into crap.

I can ask most "mainstream" people about rap (music) NOT HIP HOP(rap culture) and they would not have a clue unless it was played on the radio. Which is where you'll here the worst rap music ever!

Rap-A.K.A emceeing

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystepper View Post
As a big fan of dancing and R&B/Soul Music, the partner dance called Chicago-Style Steppin' caught my eye and I've been taking lessons here in NY for about 2 years. It's well known on the south side and in many midwestern cities with a significant African American population but I'm curious if the greater Chicago community is familiar with this dance. Ebony has a little blurb about it in the current issue, but otherwise it doesn't seem to get much publicity. I'm one of the few white steppers, but who knows it may someday become more mainstream like other dances originating in the African American community. You can say you heard it here first

Old 05-23-2009, 02:37 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times
The steppin' I've seen Chicago is not the synchronized percussion-generating hard tap dancing that the Wikipedia article talks about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepping_(African-American)

Basically, what I saw was middle-aged couples, dressed in suits and dresses, dancing medium-slowly, with little flourishes with the feet every so often. The music was R&B oldies.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Up until this point, I had assumed "steppin" to be confined only to those cheap dance films that insult the African American community with their existence.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Yes, used to be a local show on think it was called, "Steppin' at Club 7". On ABC late nights on the weekends. Coldwine, you may be thinking about "stompin", which is similar to the college style step shows. A cane is hit rythmically (sp?) on a wooden floor.

To the OP, my cousin and her husband who live in Washington state "step", so it's traveled to more places than the East coast. Generally it's an older crowd who are very much into their moves. Fashion and style play a role as well.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystepper View Post
I grew up steppin' at red light basement/quarter parties on the southside of Chicago in the early 70's. It's nothing new and other than a few new turns and personal styles being added steppin' hasn't change much since the 70's.

Steppin' is an old school tradition that originated on Chicago's southside. It's been mainstrain for black folks who grew up on Chicago's south side for several decades. While R. Kelly brought it to the world stage, the rest of the world is decades late to the party.

I've never seen a white stepper, but I bet you can jam.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:02 PM

When I was in Chicago last month, I took some lessons with LC aka "the Technician" and he mentioned the basement scene

Don't think I have a strong lead yet but the ladies here in NY are encouraging me to keep at it. Planning on spending more time in the Chi this summer. Do you recommend any clubs for a relative beginner like myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I grew up steppin' at red light basement/quarter parties on the southside of Chicago in the early 70's. It's nothing new and other than a few new turns and personal styles being added steppin' hasn't change much since the 70's.

Steppin' is an old school tradition that originated on Chicago's southside. It's been mainstrain for black folks who grew up on Chicago's south side for several decades. While R. Kelly brought it to the world stage, the rest of the world is decades late to the party.

I've never seen a white stepper, but I bet you can jam.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 PM

No, I don't think I meant "approval" and I agree that approval is not needed. I believe I was drawing a parallel with, say, jazz and how that has become a part of popular culture. However, steppin' doesn't seem to be picking up here even within the black community of metro NY. Free style seems to still rule the R&B club scene unless the "bump and grind" like stuff the kids do qualifies as a partner dance Salsa is big and at some R&B oldie dances you'll see some couples doing the "hustle" from the disco days. I hear some swing dancers do aerial moves like the lindy hoppers but I've never been to those parties although I've gotten a lot of invites.

As for rap, I consider myself an old school fan, too (Spoony G, Big Daddy Kane, Eric B & Rakim, EPMD, etc.) Then again maybe those names don't qualify as rap artists. What's your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
This form of dancing probably will never become a hit with whites and that's fine.

When you say mainstream do you mean approved of and acepted by whites?

The dance is already a hit within the black community. No approval needed from whites.

In my observation when things become "mainstream" they usually go down hill.

Look at rap music. I am a hard core old school rap fan, once it went "mainstream". It turned into crap.

I can ask most "mainstream" people about rap (music) NOT HIP HOP(rap culture) and they would not have a clue unless it was played on the radio. Which is where you'll here the worst rap music ever!

Rap-A.K.A emceeing

R

Old 09-23-2009, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 14,231 times
Default Steppin in Seattle

Greetins oldhousegirl,

Chi-Girl here born and raised!
Just relocated to the Pacific Northwest from my home town of Chicago.
I am within driving distance of Seattle proper.
Where do your cousin and her husband Step?
Please forward details or have them e-mail me directly at rninformatics@msn.com

Thanks In Advance
Angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yes, used to be a local show on think it was called, "Steppin' at Club 7". On ABC late nights on the weekends. Coldwine, you may be thinking about "stompin", which is similar to the college style step shows. A cane is hit rythmically (sp?) on a wooden floor.

To the OP, my cousin and her husband who live in Washington state "step", so it's traveled to more places than the East coast. Generally it's an older crowd who are very much into their moves. Fashion and style play a role as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago