Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM

8 posts, read 20,434 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

i spend hours everyday on this site trying to gain some insight on how to make my move to chicago in august as smooth as possible. i know there are countless threads about which neighborhood to move to, but i have a smaller budget than most.

i am a 22 year old black female who is starting a doctoral program in august in the heart of downtown. i am not really a fearful person, but my mother is terrified because i am so small and look so young, (im about 5 ft tall) i am looking for a safe one bedroom (would prefer not to do a studio, because my family will visit frequently). i went to a historically black college, so i would prefer a neighborhood thats very diverse, as well as somewhere that has some nice shopping and or bars lounges or clubs. i am looking currently lakeview and lincoln park area, and i've read about rogers park, but i think it may be a little too far. i also need somewhere extremely close to transportation because i will not have a car.

i am looking for a nice mix of peace for studying as well as easy access to activities in my down time. i am also looking for like a thirty minute commute door to door for about 750 dollars total. i know that SMALL but i am hoping you all can give me some guidance on this...? PLEASE! thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:56 PM

264 posts, read 717,130 times
Well.
1)Rogers Park-too far.
2)Lincoln Park- all white and no 1 bedrooms for $750
3)Lakeview-same as Lincoln Park

Check out the Prairie Homes. And start looking at the west and southside instead of the nothside.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carantini View Post
Well.
1)Rogers Park-too far.
2)Lincoln Park- all white and no 1 bedrooms for $750
3)Lakeview-same as Lincoln Park
why are you directing her to the south and westsides...what cause she is black she has to be on the west or south side...

Old 05-20-2009, 07:05 PM

cause those are the only areas that she can find a 1 bedroom for $750 thats not too far from downtown and not all white.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM

what about wicker park? is that a nice part a of town that is not too far?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,417 times
why don't you consider renting a 2 or 3 bedroom with some roommates? there really isn't much diversity in LP or Lakeview. I would probably recommend Logan Square, East Village, Noble Square or Ukie Village. Those neighborhoods will give you a quick commute downtown and the blue line runs 24 hours so you can go to bars, etc. Though if you'll be out past 12 or so I'd recommend taking a cab. You could find a 1 bedroom for that in Pilsen or Bronzeville but then you get into a bit of a safety issue. I would not recommend those neighborhoods to new city dwellers. They are more for the urban savvy.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprate32 View Post
what about wicker park? is that a nice part a of town that is not too far?
you can't find a 1 bdrm in WP with heat included for that

Old 05-20-2009, 07:11 PM

thanks everyone i really appreciate the honest feedback i know my budget is so... small (my last apt was like 380) lol guess its time to get real!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprate32 View Post
thanks everyone i really appreciate the honest feedback i know my budget is so... small (my last apt was like 380) lol guess its time to get real!
A lot of people live in this town on less. You'll just need to make compromises whether they be in size, to have roommates or in location. I would always give up space for a better and safer location so if you come here and fall in love with LP or Lakeview you just may end up in a studio. After all, the city is your backyard.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 PM

get a studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: