Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,779 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Chicago in 3 months and I'm interested in living in the Lakeview area and was wondering what the commute would be like from there to the Industrial Dr area in Elmhurst. I'd @ work from 8-4:30. Is it going to be too long for it to be worth living that far away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:08 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Don't live in Lakeview. It's just going to take too long to even get onto the Eisenhower (290), which is still just the start of your traffic-laden journey.

Stick to neighborhoods that give you easier access to the highway, so you don't spend 30 minutes in city surface street traffic following an hour of highway traffic. West Loop or West Town neighborhoods would be a little better.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Don't do it. Its too far away and the traffic can really get snarled. Personally I would not live in the city at all if I worked in Elmhurst. There are many lovely towns nearby.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I would not want to do it. Expect at least an hour commute.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Forget it. Your commute would be bloody murder.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Don't live in Lakeview. It's just going to take too long to even get onto the Eisenhower (290), which is still just the start of your traffic-laden journey.

Stick to neighborhoods that give you easier access to the highway, so you don't spend 30 minutes in city surface street traffic following an hour of highway traffic. West Loop or West Town neighborhoods would be a little better.
A little, but it would still lick balls. I'd go with Oak Park and call it even. Either that or I'd concede the idea of living in a "hip" neighborhood altogether and instead look near the Harlem or Cumberland Blue Line stop so I'd still have 24/7 train access to the city but could readily hop on the Tri-State to get to work.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A little, but it would still lick balls. I'd go with Oak Park and call it even.
From the Harlem exit in Oak Park to the Tri-State tollway is about 15 minutes (usually.) So if you live in Oak Park fairly close to the expressway, its probably about 30 minutes to York Ave exit/Industrial Drive. It'll always be worse coming back in the afternoon (45 min to an hour.)

Old 04-17-2009, 08:30 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A little, but it would still lick balls. I'd go with Oak Park and call it even. Either that or I'd concede the idea of living in a "hip" neighborhood altogether and instead look near the Harlem or Cumberland Blue Line stop so I'd still have 24/7 train access to the city but could readily hop on the Tri-State to get to work.
I agree. Those would just be the hip neighborhoods that would have a possibly tolerable, but still miserable, commute. But if the OP is really looking for that hip urban neighborhood experience, and can tolerate the traffic, it's doable - if only for a year or so, before closer options seem more sensible.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Default As others have pointed out...

There is no such thing as a reverse commute in chicago. your traffic is just as heavy leaving the city as it is coming into the city. I live in Lakeview, and it takes at least 25-30 minutes to get to 90/94, on a good day.

You would be looking at (realistically) at least 2-3 hours commuting round trip each day. You would really hate it, so I highly recommend living in suburbia until you can get a job in the city. The commute would make your life a living hell.

I had a (former) co-worker that lived in East Lakeview with his wife and worked in Lisle. He had to start at 8AM and left home everyday at 6:15AM, praying to be on time for the day. When he left work, he had just as long a commute. He ended up transferring to Charlotte, NC, as soon as that office had an opening, and DEFINITELY left with some bitter feelings about Chicago, due to the traffic he endured everyday.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMeToo View Post
I'll be moving to Chicago in 3 months and I'm interested in living in the Lakeview area and was wondering what the commute would be like from there to the Industrial Dr area in Elmhurst. I'd @ work from 8-4:30. Is it going to be too long for it to be worth living that far away?
It says all you need to know that you haven't received any supportive responses on your topic. Accurate and truthful yes, and that's more valuable to you anyway. You'll have to put me down with the others that have already responded. Good luck to you.

Is it humanly possible for a very short time, as in several months, sure. Will it be 100% miserable and exhausting daily, sure.

Not the answer you wanted to hear, but definitely one you need to know. Longer term you will definitely need to make a change on where you live or work geographically. If at all possible, don't even bother beginning it if you can help it. If you must, have a clear plan ahead of time for the end of this commute, the sooner the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago