Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:28 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I honestly don't believe the timetables for these projects either. I think its a way to try to snooker the Feds into giving money using the Olympics as an excuse.
Well, if they can do so more power to them. I've never met anyone who's turned down "free" money. But if Daley think Obama is just going to write him a blank check for his infastructure wishlist, I think he's in for a rude awakening.

And also remember we still dont have a capital budget in the state. Who knows where that will go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Well, if they can do so more power to them. I've never met anyone who's turned down "free" money. But if Daley think Obama is just going to write him a blank check for his infastructure wishlist, I think he's in for a rude awakening.

And also remember we still dont have a capital budget in the state. Who knows where that will go.
Earmarks, baby!

It would be nice to wake up in 2016 with two new CTA lines and the Circle line in process of becoming a reality. I'm not going to hold my breath, however.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Both LA and Atlanta got extra federal money after being awarded their Olympics Games.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Its a lot of info to take in at once. This is more than just a transportation proposal...thats just one segment. This also lays out a whole host of planning philosophies for many parts of the city...design guidelines, urban design strategies, the lifting of height restrictions in some areas...its awesome to see the city at least thinking big. But its going to take me a while to digest a lot of this.

Just remember..in all likelihood a lot of these things will likely never leave the planning stages...or are decades away at best.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
Quote:
Just remember..in all likelihood a lot of these things will likely never leave the planning stages...or are decades away at best.
But some things will make it. So we can have a eensy weensy bit of hope for great things, right?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:06 PM

44 posts, read 150,527 times
I spent a lot of time in the River North Area i don't recall seeing Carroll Ave next to the river.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOESTE View Post
I spent a lot of time in the River North Area i don't recall seeing Carroll Ave next to the river.
Look on Google maps for Carroll Ave. It runs below grade, underneath the Merchandise Mart.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Look on Google maps for Carroll Ave. It runs below grade, underneath the Merchandise Mart.
Yup. It runs between the river and Kinzie, although as far as I know it's basically an alley now. It. was once a C&NW RR track that went to Navy Pier & the Filtration Plant...picture the perpetually upright bridge near the Sun Times building.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Part of the 'genuis' of creating unnecessary TIFs in the loop depleting tax revenue into the general fund.
TIFs don't deplete taxes from the general fund. They divert additional tax dollars from development added into the TIF zone (ie a $30 Million investment on a $5 Million vacant lot would pay taxes into the TIF on the $25 Million improvement). That's a pretty rough example, but you get the picture. The general fund can't lose anything that it never had.

These are some pretty ambitious plans. Nice!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
OK, well the only other time LSD has been moved was to create the museum campus..this is an entirely different area and purpose.
No. Parts of it have been moved for other purposes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago