Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 AM

147 posts, read 395,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
God this thread is pretty pointless. All that will come out of it is verbal Masturbation.
agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxtonian View Post
Can one imagine the Midwest without the intricate (and intrinsic) corruption rampant in Chicago?
I've been educating a New Yorker in the ways of doing things the Chicago way, he is in a complete state of shock- repeating time after time "You've got to be kidding!"
I think it's fair to say Chicago/Illinois has its fair share of corruption, but I also think it's pretty easy to separate the government from what the City has to offer: beautiful architecture, great restaurants, cultural institutions, festivals, etc. The Mid-West without Chicago? A huge expanse of area in need of a big, world-class city.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I think it's fair to say Chicago/Illinois has its fair share of corruption, but I also think it's pretty easy to separate the government from what the City has to offer: beautiful architecture, great restaurants, cultural institutions, festivals, etc. The Mid-West without Chicago? A huge expanse of area in need of a big, world-class city.
But ideally, don't you think it would be a better greater region if the people, the wealth, and cultural institution, etc. were more evenly spread out? I think so. I don't want people to be living in a bubble.

Don't take offense this (given your username) I wouldn't want to see the midwest (or even America) to turn into something similar to a Latin American country where you have one, maybe two enormous, gigantic cities and a relatively impoverished countryside. That creates for a very polarized society.

I think a better model would be Germany where the wealth and cities are spread out more evenly throughout the country. Or as "Edg25 or whatever" compared to other regions of the country have their attractions/wealth more spread out among several cities.

Maybe high speed rail trains would help.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 AM

188 posts, read 605,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Most definitely. I believe Amtrak is in the works of setting up a European-style high-speed rail system between Chicago and St. Louis. That's only the start. Such a system would hopefully serve as the backbone for future expansions amidst the midwest.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,011 times
Quote:
But ideally, don't you think it would be a better greater region if the people, the wealth, and cultural institution, etc. were more evenly spread out? I think so. I don't want people to be living in a bubble.

Don't take offense this (given your username) I wouldn't want to see the midwest (or even America) to turn into something similar to a Latin American country where you have one, maybe two enormous, gigantic cities and a relatively impoverished countryside. That creates for a very polarized society.

I think a better model would be Germany where the wealth and cities are spread out more evenly throughout the country. Or as "Edg25 or whatever" compared to other regions of the country have their attractions/wealth more spread out among several cities.

No offense taken. But I don't think there's much threat that Illinois/the midwest will turn into a "Latin American" model where there is one big city and a huge separation of wealth - at least more than what already exists. Most major cities have the region's economy focused in one georgraphic area. That's kind of what a city is. A densely populated area which serves as a region's center for business/development.

As for high speed rails, there are plans in Chicago's future (and I believe as part of the stimulus package" to build new rail systems between the larger cities in the midwest.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
it would be absolutely worthless then! LOL...most think it already is and that is with chicago. really, the midwest is a good wholesome place to raise a family and experience the 4 seasons but it is boring compared to out west or the east coast or even the south with states like florida and texas. i guess ocean coasts really do matter. there aren't any successful landlocked nations, are there?

Last edited by At1WithNature; 03-30-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 AM

414 posts, read 884,342 times
Quote:
Most certainly...but I don't expect to see those around until I am at death's door, if at all.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Default I actually think that...

Quote:

...that Chicago is in a similar position to NYC in terms of centralized power; Chicago has St.Louis to the southwest, Indianapolis to the southeast, Cleveland to the east, Detroit to the northeast, Milwaukee to the north, and MSP-St.Paul to the northwest. Chicago's size is comparable to NYC's size in relation to their surrounding cities, as NYC dwarfs Bos/Philly/Balt/WashDC.

I also believe that if Chicago didn't exist, Milwaukee would be much larger, as would St. Louis.

Lastly, I have heard of mass transit being planned that would link Chicago with Milwaukee, Madison and MSP-St. Paul, but it may be years before any real progress is born.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...that Chicago is in a similar position to NYC in terms of centralized power; Chicago has St.Louis to the southwest, Indianapolis to the southeast, Cleveland to the east, Detroit to the northeast, Milwaukee to the north, and MSP-St.Paul to the northwest. Chicago's size is comparable to NYC's size in relation to their surrounding cities, as NYC dwarfs Bos/Philly/Balt/WashDC.

I also believe that if Chicago didn't exist, Milwaukee would be much larger, as would St. Louis.

Lastly, I have heard of mass transit being planned that would link Chicago with Milwaukee, Madison and MSP-St. Paul, but it may be years before any real progress is born.
interesting post. before chicago built their man made waterway system, st. louis was larger than chicago as it was directly on the mississippi river and perfect for shipping things down to new orleans and to the the gulf of mexico. however, chicago's access to both the great lakes and mississippi (after the water system was built) ensured its' success. if chicago wasn't here, st. louis would be HUGE!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
interesting post. before chicago built their man made waterway system, st. louis was larger than chicago as it was directly on the mississippi river and perfect for shipping things down to new orleans and to the the gulf of mexico. however, chicago's access to both the great lakes and mississippi (after the water system was built) ensured its' success. if chicago wasn't here, st. louis would be HUGE!
I agree, I think that St. Louis was the biggest loser regarding the rise of Chicago. Its location was the second best (after Chicago) for funneling traffic from east, west, north, and south via rail and water in the 1800s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago