Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,258 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from southern Illinois to Chicago and I heard that Andersonville is a very accepting for gay's and lesbians. I'm young and I'am lesbian and I wanted to know some good area's to live where I can be may meet other young women too. I found some place's but I'm not sure if there what I was looking for so if any one knows the area please let me know.
Sheridan Park Apartments uptown
917 West Eastwood uptown
4701 North Beacon Chicago uptown
4701 North Beacon Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,187 times
I don't know anything about those apts you listed, but Anndersonville is a very yuppie nabe, and I know you'll be accepted there. Alot of gays live and frequent those business'es around there.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Hang out at the Women & Children First bookstore, ask them about social opportunities

T's bar (though I think it may be more men than women)
Most notable lesbian bar in Andersonville is Stargaze. Another close enough to Andersonville to be within walking distance is Big Chicks. But probably the best known lesbian bar in Chicago is a bit off the beaten path for you (but happens to be in my neighborhood, lucky for me) is Lizard's Liquid Lounge.

Links:

T's Bar (http://www.tsbarchicago.com/Home.html - broken link)
Stargaze
Women and Children First
Big Chicks Home Page
Lizard's Liquid Lounge

Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
The one time I went to Big Chicks in the evening, it was packed with gay men.

All of the addresses you have listed are in Uptown. The corner of Uptown by the Andersonville strip is generally quite nice, but you do need to throrougly check out your block in Uptown at all times of day and night. Make sure you are not near any problem buildings. Sheridan Park and Andersonville Terrace are two of the nicer parts of Uptown, but there is still a sprinkling of low-income housing, halfway houses, and rehab centers in Sheridan Park. Most residents know which buildings attract gang trouble.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 AM

188 posts, read 605,476 times
I have to be honest - I find the delineation between Andersonville, Uptown and Edgewater very confusing. The other day I was searching for the 'heart' of Andersonville and kept ending up in Uptown.

What are the street borders exactly?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
The street borders for Andersonville seem to be Bryn Mawr on the north, Foster on the south, Glenwood on the east, and Ravenswood on the west. A lot of people do consider the northwest part of Uptown (Clark St. from Ainslie to Foster) as part of Andersonville as well. The border between the community areas of Uptown & Edgewater is Foster Ave. from Ravenswood Ave. to the lake.

Last edited by Mister Mappy; 02-24-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arush89 View Post
...917 West Eastwood
4701 North Beacon

These addresses are not in Andersonville.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
The borders of Andersonville have expanded as the upscalization of the Clark Street strip and gentrified areas around it have expanded. When I lived in Andersonville 10 years ago, the uspcale part of Clark Street stopped dead at Catalpa to the north and extended maybe half a block south of Foster to the south. Now the part of town that identifies itself as Andersonville complete with signage extends as far south as Argyle, and will probably hit Lawrence very shortly after the recession ends, if it ever ends. On the north end the upscalization has happened almost all the way to the Clark/Ashland merge.

As for delineation between Andersonville, Uptown and Edgewater, part of the problem is you're dealing with Andersonville as an unofficial neighborhood designation versus Uptown and Edgewater which are official community designations, and then there's "Uptown" the neighborhood designation that's not coterminous with the official community boundaries. Andersonville is a neighborhood situated mostly within the Edgewater community and partly within the Uptown community. What most people consider "the" Uptown centers around the Broadway strip from about Montrose to about Argyle, even though the "official" Uptown is a much larger area.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The one time I went to Big Chicks in the evening, it was packed with gay men.

All of the addresses you have listed are in Uptown. The corner of Uptown by the Andersonville strip is generally quite nice, but you do need to throrougly check out your block in Uptown at all times of day and night. Make sure you are not near any problem buildings. Sheridan Park and Andersonville Terrace are two of the nicer parts of Uptown, but there is still a sprinkling of low-income housing, halfway houses, and rehab centers in Sheridan Park. Most residents know which buildings attract gang trouble.
"The one time"? ............... Sure.............

Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
"The one time"? ............... Sure.............

Is that supposed to be funny? It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago