Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I will not reveal. Everyone else would ruin it for the few that are in the know.
Ok... You just gotta new buddy here if you tell me...

Wait, I'm not that cheap!

Free Parking Downtown on Sundays too! Just did that this Sunday!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM

732 posts, read 2,980,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Free Parking Downtown on Sundays too! Just did that this Sunday!
Not for long...part of the sale of the parking meters involved the meters running 7 days a week (and 24/7 in the loop). Changes are coming soon.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I live near that Recreation Drive parking, and it's about five miles from the Loop. And it is metered. You're better off just finding non-metered non-zoned street parking near an "L" stop somewhere.

Don't you have anything better to do than give bad advice about a city you know relatively little about?
Thanks again Kid. Didn't intend to post this as advice but simply distributing info that I found referenced in two seperate locations. Was hoping that those that are in the "know" could comment on the validity of the info I came across. The quotes were not my statement. This is from the TA Hotel review in the Mag Mile...

"This was a great hotel right in the heart of the Chicago Loop. Within walking distance to the downtown attractions. Parking is expensive ($50 p/nt) so we parked at a free remote location (recreation drive) since we weren't planning on driving once we checked in. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms are large and clean."

Had a personal interest in establishing the accuracy and was not meant as gospel. Personally, I will be inclined to pay for the convenience of the nearest ramp when I visit in June and cab to Miller's and other locations.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM

10 posts, read 38,882 times
Super cool site to find the "free parking" streets... Chicago Garage, Meter, Permit, and Street Parking Information :: - ParkingAnyTime
My friends and I park our cars in the city in some neighborhoods just outside the Loop for a week or two at a time, and take the train/bus to the airport and back with no problems.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 11,994 times
It's true that recreation dr. on the lakeshore is free:

1) How is it free? There are meters over there but they have signs that say no money payment until March 2011 (memorial day). I parked there myself on Oct 23-24 weekend
2) Take northbound lakeshore from downtown and north of belmont you will see a sign to the right that says "recreation dr next right"...you will meet a stop sign, turn left and the lot is over there. Nice. Safe and got lights over night.
3) Public Trans: blue line buses (145,146, and 147) 15 mins bus drive from downtown (fare $2.25)
4) Other options: yeah you can park at the millennium park garage (12-24 hrs for $24-29)
5) SUNDAY metered parking spots are NOT free any more (effective Jan 09)

Thank you for the original post

UPDATED: 10-25-10

Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobernumlock View Post
It's true that recreation dr. on the lakeshore is free:

1) How is it free? There are meters over there but they have signs that say no money payment until March 2011 (memorial day). I parked there myself on Oct 23-24 weekend
2) Take northbound lakeshore from downtown and north of belmont you will see a sign to the right that says "recreation dr next right"...you will meet a stop sign, turn left and the lot is over there. Nice. Safe and got lights over night.
3) Public Trans: blue line buses (145,146, and 147) 15 mins bus drive from downtown (fare $2.25)
4) Other options: yeah you can park at the millennium park garage (12-24 hrs for $24-29)
5) SUNDAY metered parking spots are NOT free any more (effective Jan 09)

Thank you for the original post

UPDATED: 10-25-10
Turning right at the stop sign used to be free as well if you got in at certain times, typically before 8am and after 11pm. This is overflow parking for Belmont Harbor and the pay station was manned. About 3 weeks ago they installed a payment station and permanent gate so you need to pay 24/7 unless you have a permit. The spots around the tennis courts definitely tend to change after dark, there are some interesting characters who hang out there.

I'll add you can also access this area by taking Irving Park Rd, east under LSD. It turns into recreation drive as soon as you pass under LSD.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 10,928 times
You guys are hilarious! This is why I miss Chicago...Adamus might be like me. Raised in the 'burbs, but driving into town "just" to get some Garretts popcorn. I worked dt for 13 years and had my car towed 3 times. I learned my lesson the hard way. As some of the natives above have said, take public trans, put on a good pair of PUMA's and hoof it. I'm originally from the south 'burbs, so I'm going to take the Metra Electric in. Parking in the city is a JOKE!!!

'Yall BCool

Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 PM

9 posts, read 34,159 times
I used to park near Chicago and Wells area, free plentiful parking just East of Cabrini Green I wouldn't leave your car too long, just during the day, fine. It's a pretty far walk from Millennium, though. When I used to live downtown I would just find a neighborhood not too far north and park it in a safe area with no meters or street cleaning and take the bus back downtown.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Ruski fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago