Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM

11 posts, read 22,694 times

Advertisements

I think they just eliminated it. There is a Washington exit at Monroe so it was probably overkill anyway. Good riddance--just something else to slow down the commute. There were too many stops on the redline downtown anyway. But I thought it was weird that they just eliminated it without telling anyone. I think what used to be the Washington station is now part of Monroe station. since none of the station entrances have been eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 PM

41 posts, read 84,698 times
The only problem with eliminating it though is that there is only one transfer point to the Blue Line now, at Jackson, instead of two. Like some one else stated, Washington was also a key stop for the underground to points east, so hopefully that will be rectified in another way.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleng0523 View Post
I think they just eliminated it. There is a Washington exit at Monroe so it was probably overkill anyway. Good riddance--just something else to slow down the commute. There were too many stops on the redline downtown anyway. But I thought it was weird that they just eliminated it without telling anyone. I think what used to be the Washington station is now part of Monroe station. since none of the station entrances have been eliminated.
Well, there's actually one long "super platform" beneath State Street, it used to be considered one station from Madison to Lake with three separate mezzanines. It is in the Guiness Book of World Records as the longest subway platform in the world.

Chicago ''L''.org: Stations - Washington/State

Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elleng0523 View Post
If anything they should eliminate the Monroe stop because as others mentioned closing the Washington stop means there's now only one Red/Blue transfer point and a section of the pedway is now harder to access. That said, the seemingly countless downtown stops are there for a good reason, namely to prevent platform overcrowding during rush hour. Maybe skipping the Monroe stop for the Blue and Red line during off-peak hours might be something to consider.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
I suppose the Monroe stop shutting down is not going to happen in our lifetime:

"At a future date, Monroe will join the group of subway stations being renovated by the Chicago Department of Transportation. The work represents another piece of an extensive campaign to renovate nearly all of the Red Line subway stations, from Roosevelt/State on the south to Clark/Division on the north. The renovations under this program have typically included granite floors, ceramic tile walls and ceilings, new acoustical panels, improved lighting, new signage, security cameras, and changes to provide full ADA accessibility. Designs for Monroe station have not been finalized, however.

Reconstruction is estimated to begin, pending funding, in 2013 on the Madison-Monroe Red Line stop, according to CDOT."

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/monroe-state.html

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
FYI, big old mess on the red line tonight. No ET as to when the south bound trains will be up again from Fullerton to Cermak. North bound is closed at Grand.

Woman reported killed by Red Line train - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/09/man-reported-killed-by-red-line-train.html - broken link)

Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
From the Tribune story:

"First responders had said the victim was a man, but later corrected themselves."

Then the next sentence:

"The unidentified woman later died of his injuries, police spokesman Officer John Mirabelli said." (emphasis mine).

Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
I noticed that too before you posted it.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
yeah, the first sentence says "he" as well. i'm thinking they probably wrote the article when it was originally released as a man and then corrected it at the last minute but forgot to revise the pronouns.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
This nikka said pronouns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago