Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Where I live got a 3. Yes, 3.

Where I'm moving, in Printer's Row, got a 97.

Where we lived in Uptown, Sheridan and Ainsley, got a 94.
Studs was your neighbor! Did his dog pee on your grass or something?

I got an 83 at my place in Buena Park--largely because of the lack of commercial around here. My old house in Wicker Park was a 94.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,417 times
Interesting. I got a 70 for my Beverly house and a 56 for my Woodlawn condo. I'd say that more or less dovetails with my intuition. Probably Woodlawn would be a bit higher if they included the local drug market.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Probably Woodlawn would be a bit higher if they included the local drug market.
The scores can be misleading since they don't look at actual patterns of use. Woodlawn is VERY walkable if you're primary recreational activity is using drugs, for instance. My place in Buena Park only got a score in the 80s, but I've got a heavily used coffee shop, convenience store, dry cleaners, and pizza/sandwich place at the end of my block. And I walk a half block to an express bus that whisks me downtown in a jiffy. Multiple major supermarkets are within a mile. My block is more user-friendly for walkers than the score implies.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
The biggest problem with the scores is that they don't take public transportation into account. I live a few blocks from the El and 3 major bus lines that make it very easy to get around without a car. Their data also seems to need some work - since when was the Congress Theater a movie theater? I was surprised to see how many Dunkin Donuts are within a 1/2 mile radius of my house.

Quote:
3 doesn't sound too bad, I could see parts of Lexington having a negative score, although areas of downtown might have a decent score.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 AM

179 posts, read 481,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The scores can be misleading since they don't look at actual patterns of use. Woodlawn is VERY walkable if you're primary recreational activity is using drugs, for instance. My place in Buena Park only got a score in the 80s, but I've got a heavily used coffee shop, convenience store, dry cleaners, and pizza/sandwich place at the end of my block. And I walk a half block to an express bus that whisks me downtown in a jiffy. Multiple major supermarkets are within a mile. My block is more user-friendly for walkers than the score implies.
Of course you can't take the score seriously. I'v got a ninety-something score cause I've got so many "grocery" options in walking distance, however if I ever feeled the need to get my stuff from somewhere else than 7-11 or the liquor store I'd have to take the bus to go to Jewel. So much for walkers paradise.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,557,216 times
I just redid mine, and some of it is outdated or wrong. It has the closest restaurant to me as trhe Web Pub, but I don't think they serve food. They show the Bucktown Beanery as both a coffee house and a bar, but they don't serve alcohol. Also, it has the closest hardware store to me as Novak's, which was on Armitage & Hoyne. It closed down in 2003.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Quote:

Where I'm moving, in Printer's Row, got a 97.

Where we lived in Uptown, Sheridan and Ainsley, got a 94.
My SO's parent's house in the suburbs of Kansas City (Overland Park) got a 3 too! The only thing less than a mile away was a park!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM

220 posts, read 744,950 times
My place 1/2 mile from our suburb's downtown scored a 71.

Not bad for a 2nd/3rd ring Chicago suburb, but that's just because I live near downtown. Most other locations in the muni. would score much less, I'm sure.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
...3 doesn't sound too bad, I could see parts of Lexington having a negative score, although areas of downtown might have a decent score.
In many areas of Lexington there are no sidewalks along the main roads.

I have been to Lexington many times. Even downtown it is not very "walkable" as there is not really anywhere to walk to!

Don't get me wrong I like Lexington for what it is, but yet most of it is very much like a larger Naperville that happens to have a very old and very small city center with not much to do.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
In many areas of Lexington there are no sidewalks along the main roads.

I have been to Lexington many times. Even downtown it is not very "walkable" as there is not really anywhere to walk to!
There are areas around the UK campus that I would expect to score pretty well, but the outlying areas are crazy. A lot of the newer development that has happened along Man-o-war or New Circle is what I was thinking would get a negative score. The places where it seems you can drive for miles in the same parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago