Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 AM

34 posts, read 98,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
Beverly Mt Geenwood and Morgan Park (all about 2 miles west of CSU) are very nice. Mostly houses but you can find some good deals on rent in beautiful vintage apartment buildings along the Metra railroad tracks.

A few photos...

Thanks for going out of your way to send me photos. Those neighborhoods look really nice. I will check them out when I come to visit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 AM

53 posts, read 241,021 times
Quote:
Again with the wrong information.... I live on the east side of Beverly, have for my whole life. It is not an impoverished ghetto. Also apartments are available for rent along Walden Pkwy and Hale St. Many gorgeous vintage buildings in great shape. $750 a month would cover a 2 bedroom apt without a problem.

Also, East Beverly borders Washington Heights, a solidly middle class African American community, not a ghetto as implied.
No need to get upset. The areas are "okay" but I still wouldn't live there. If Washington Heights is what I think it is...over by like 89th street and Ashland or so? That's an "okay" neighborhood. The Stones from Foster Park run rampid through that area. I know. I used to get my hair done over there.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
We prefer the term integrated community over "iffy". Racial makeup in East Bev?Morgan Park is no different the Oak Park or Evanston.

Note to drover: Step out of the "machine" life will be more fullfilling.
photos of East Beverly & Morgan Park

East Bev

Morgan Park

These homes are beautiful!!!! I will definately check those neighborhoods out. Thanks again

Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You can call it what you want. The fact is parts of Beverly and Morgan Park have crime problems, and those parts aren't exactly "integrated" and not the tidy parts you show in your pictures. And don't give me this "step out of the machine" crap. I'm a minority in my own neighborhood, and I sure don't need you or anyone else to tell me how to live a fulfilling life. If you want to have a discussion/disagreement about the various attributes of any given neighoborhood, fine. But I don't appreciate being patronized.
I don't want you guys to offend each other. Not under my thread. I understand both of your point of views. You both have valid points. I know that there may be some good and some bad parts of these neighborhoods. But coming from Atlanta, I'm sure I won't have any problems. The crime here is out of this world so I'm sure I will be just fine. Also, I don't care about segregation. I've grown up in segregated neighborhoods all my life. In Ohio I was the minority in white neighborhoods and here in Atlanta, the city is majority black. I just want to live in the a place where the people care about where they live and I don't have to look over my shoulder every 5 seconds like I have to do here.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya01 View Post
Hyde Park isn't really all that nice. It's a hit and miss area. There are some really nice areas in Hyde Park and there are some areas that see a lot of gang violence, graffitti, etc. I wouldn't recommend moving there personally, especially coming from another city. You might end up renting on the wrong side of Hyde Park. Also with any area in or around Chicago remember this. All the neighborhoods look nice in the mornings. Circle the blocks at nice and when it's warm out. That's when you'll get a true feel of the residents and the environment. Around 7PM on through 11PM.
That's good advice. I'll definately do that.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya01 View Post
Beverly, Morgan Park, etc...you won't find apartments easily. They have lots of very expensive homes there. He said his price range was $750 a month, he won't be able to rent anything in those areas! LOL. Sorry

Also, like they mentioned, most areas in Chicago are very segregated. If you want to live with "your people" let me know who they are and i'll let you know of neighborhoods. All the above mentioned areas are pretty much homogenous with White residents except for the East Sides by the highway and train tracks...however, since those are closer to more impoverished areas the neighborhoods get a bit rough. I don't mind the hood, but I wouldn't want to live there, hehehehe.

One thing to remember about CHicago too is that you're always one busy street/viaduct/train track away from a new social class/ethnic group. Like the South Loop, parts are gorgeous with 300K condos and the other half are the ickeys (projects).

Let me know if you need any more help. I can recommend areas if you want to share more information with me. I've lived on the South Side, North Side and Burbs. I have friends out West so i'm familiar with that area as well although I wouldn't live there. hhehehehe.

Take Care!
I am a black female and honestly, I don't want to live in a predominately black neighborhood. Atlanta is predominately black & I hate it but I don't want to live in a white neighborhood where I will have to worry about not being accepted. As long as the people are friendly and give me respect , it doesn't matter.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassmith View Post
I am a black female and honestly, I don't want to live in a predominately black neighborhood. Atlanta is predominately black & I hate it but I don't want to live in a white neighborhood where I will have to worry about not being accepted. As long as the people are friendly and give me respect , it doesn't matter.
Ohhh. Check out Blue Island. I used to live there and I loved it! It's a suburb less than 10 mins from the city. The metra is right in the heart of blue island. It'll take you all over the city and burbs from that one location. It's very diverse and affordable. On any given Saturday you can hear all the different types of music playing softly in the apartments of your neighbors. I had a very nice three bedroom two bathroom apartment overlooking the "river" for only $800 a month. It was huge! It was the entire top half of an older model home. They have "Historic Blue Island" which has all the quaint old buildings on Olde Western Avenue. And there are lots of great small neighborhood shops and businesses. But it's right by the city as well as suburban malls and it's close to CSU. There are kids playing in the area and it's nice and peaceful at night. I'd definately check out Blue Island.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Blue Island sounds like a great neighborhood! I will definately check it out. Quick question... a friend of mine was telling me about Bronzeville. Any advice on this neighborhood?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassmith View Post
Blue Island sounds like a great neighborhood! I will definately check it out. Quick question... a friend of mine was telling me about Bronzeville. Any advice on this neighborhood?
Bronzeville is a neighborhood with good intentions. It's the "blues district" and it's "up and coming" but it's not there yet. There are some very scary areas and some areas that are barely okay. The housing is gorgeous and huge. Lots of old style graystones. It's going through gentrification right now and there are some 300K condos right next to vacant lots and abandoned buildings. It's the next five years or so property value more than likely will skyrocket. It's somewhere good to get in now and buy property before it's too late. I say ride by there as well. It's right outside of downtown. I wouldn't move there, lol. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work out for you. It's by King Drive Avenue and about 47th street on back.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,365,237 times
Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson is building a multi million dollar home in Bronzeville. The area is only a quick bike ride from the lakefront. Again it is not a scary place. People of all races are moving here, chinese whites and blacks. A friend of mine who is white has just bought a condo at 35th and state across from the green line and steps from US Cellular Field.

Bronzeville is accessible via the green line to downtown with stops at 35th, Indiana, and 47th st. It is accessible to CSU via cta red line and a quick bus ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago