Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why?
Perhaps, given the current economy, a train line like the proposed Circle Line isn't feasible, but I think that there should be more bus routes don't only run north/south or east west. I wouldn't mind seeing a bus route that made it easier to get from the one 'el' line to another or one neighborhood to another without having to go downtown to switch trains. Not everyone works downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You were not scared to walk between the expressway or river and Ashland near the Lathrop Homes?
I've never had a problem in 25 years of walking and biking by Lathrop Homes from Lake View, much of which was to go to Diversey River Bowl or (RIP) Cub Foods. The key would be to keep moving - don't stare at people in the doorways, etc.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That's generally safe, though it gets kind of deserted near the Kennedy in the industrial corridor. The problem is further north--walking from Logan Square into Lincoln Park/Lakeview through the Lathrop Homes (just north of Diversey near the intersection of Damen and Clybourn). It's generally not a problem during the day because of the busy shopping center there, but you always need to watch your back walking past any CHA property that isn't senior housing!
I don't know, man, those old ones can sneak up on you pretty fast!

I don't necessarily think there needs to be a direct train line b/w Logan Square/Lakeview... it would be nice if a. the Diversey bus wasn't generally useless and, maybe b. if there was an express bus on Belmont or even Fullerton.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I've never had a problem in 25 years of walking and biking by Lathrop Homes from Lake View, much of which was to go to Diversey River Bowl or (RIP) Cub Foods. The key would be to keep moving - don't stare at people in the doorways, etc.
OT, but speaking of Cub Foods, has anyone checked out this Strack & Van Till place yet? If so, is it any good? Cheaper or more expensive than Jewel or Dominick's?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I don't know, man, those old ones can sneak up on you pretty fast!

I don't necessarily think there needs to be a direct train line b/w Logan Square/Lakeview... it would be nice if a. the Diversey bus wasn't generally useless and, maybe b. if there was an express bus on Belmont or even Fullerton.
Express buses on two-lane thoroughfares would be pretty useless.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Express buses on two-lane thoroughfares would be pretty useless.
of course they would. if, in theory, Belmont or Fullerton could be four lanes, then an express bus would be useful.

I guess I'm sorry for not completely finishing my thought.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
didn't Belmont used to have a cable car running down the middle?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OT, but speaking of Cub Foods, has anyone checked out this Strack & Van Till place yet? If so, is it any good? Cheaper or more expensive than Jewel or Dominick's?
Strack & Van Till isn't too bad - better produce than Jewel or Dominick, prices on most things seem to be about the same. They almost always have more registers open and it is easier to get in and out of there quickly. Their beer selection is pretty bad.

If it is more convenient to go there than Jewel or Dominick's I will, but I don't go out of my way to go there.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I've never had a problem in 25 years of walking and biking by Lathrop Homes from Lake View...
Well a couple people a few days ago sure did.

"Evanston police arrested two men and a woman who police sources said were driving the white delivery van that belonged to the victim of an attack at 3031 N. Damen Ave. That attack occurred about 4:30 a.m.

The victim was approached by a man who asked him for the time, a police source said, and when the victim went to look at his watch, he was beaten with a baseball bat. He remained hospitalized Tuesday at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

A nearby attack 10 minutes later and a few blocks north at 3317 N. Hoyne Ave. was linked to the same suspects."

1 held in Lincoln Park mugging, 3 in North Center robberies - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/police-questioning-man-in-lincoln-park-robbery.html - broken link)

I personally used to have a lot of not so nice encounters with residents from Lathrop Homes when I lived in Roscoe Village for a couple years ten years ago as well as the years I went to Lane Tech previous to that.

I guess you have just been very lucky or don't go out at night that often.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
...but I think that there should be more bus routes don't only run north/south or east west...
Like on what streets? Clybourn? Elston?

If you remember there once were buses that ran on Elston and Clybourn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago