Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,952 times

Advertisements

I grew up in St. Thomas Aquinas parish in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago. I have now lived in another state for many years. I was wondering if anyone might have any pictures of the interior and exterior of the former St. Thomas Aquinas Church (now, St. Martin de Porres Church), which was located on Washington Blvd. between LeClair & Leamington. I have fond memories of it, but no pictures. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Is this it?? Check out their website.

Home

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Isn't that where Andrew Greeley went before he started writing novels? Nope, my bad! Father Greeley is from St. Angela's.

Last edited by Manigault; 12-18-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,746 times
Default Sta

That certainly is St. Thomas. I have many fond memories as well. I have not been back to that area in Chicago for years. Thanks for the pic.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,618 times
Yup, It is even more gorgeous than I remember. I went to 1st grade at St. Thomas right after WWII and then moved to the wilds of Dallas, Texas. This was the church of my grandparents and parents. This was what Catholicism was all about. The big round wooden tables when my folks put their pew offering to the metal clips on the pew backs to hold men's hats to the beautiful carved statues of the Apostles across front of the church. Then we came out of Mass to find the 5 pound Sunday Trib being sold at the bottom of the stairs. (Surely Prince Valiant went to Mass in a church just like ours.) Anyone have pics of that wonderful interior?

Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Here is a link to their website. Photos say "coming soon" and there is nothing up there.
http://smdp.archchicago.org/
But here is a site you might want to look at
St. Thomas Aquinas School Class of 1960: July 2010

Last edited by ToriaT; 08-22-2011 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
I attended St. Thomas Aquinas from 1963 to 1968 (1st thru 4th grade). It holds such a special place in my heart. We lived just a few blocks down on LeClair and I can remember those walks to from school, we even got to walk home for lunch, don't see that anymore. The Sisters taughts me how to play the piano there in the Convent. I can even remember hearing my first Mass in English vice Latin. Now its 53 years later and I can still remember it like yesterday.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,371,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Then we came out of Mass to find the 5 pound Sunday Trib being sold at the bottom of the stairs. (Surely Prince Valiant went to Mass in a church just like ours.)
My husband saw this thread and really liked it - he said when he came out of his church (in Massachusetts) there was a 5 lb. Boston Globe being sold at the bottom of the stairs . . . AND doughnuts!!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOB View Post
I attended St. Thomas Aquinas from 1963 to 1968 (1st thru 4th grade). It holds such a special place in my heart. We lived just a few blocks down on LeClair and I can remember those walks to from school, we even got to walk home for lunch, don't see that anymore. The Sisters taughts me how to play the piano there in the Convent. I can even remember hearing my first Mass in English vice Latin. Now its 53 years later and I can still remember it like yesterday.

I also attended STA from 1963 and graduated in 1971. And I lived on LeClaire also. I lived just down the street between Maypole and West End. $th grade I had Mrs Studemeyer. I don't remember who I had in 1st thru 3rd grade. I know I did not have Sister Immaculata in 1st. But she was a substitute thru my years there. If you have a facebook page there is a page called Austin Neighborhood that is full of pics and memories of STA and the whole Austin are.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,420 times
If you have facebook there is a page called Austin Neighborhood that has a whole lot of pics of the church and memories of the whole austin area. My family 4 generations attended STA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago