Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times

Advertisements

If anyone is an officer, or knows someone who is, I would be glad to hear some comments about joining the police department.

It seems like one of the better paying jobs out there for people without a Bachelor's degree, and they pay tuition reimbursement for officers to pursue a degree. Two years ago when I quit school, I would have never imagined myself becoming an officer, but now it's becoming more and more attractive an option (in my opinion, any government job is a good job with this economy).

How often do they bring in new cadet classes? How dangerous is it really?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,029 times
It is rather dangerous in Chicago to be a cop. However, the pay is good. I believe the starting pay is in the 50s for first year. plus great benefits, but you do hear every week that some officer got shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
If anyone is an officer, or knows someone who is, I would be glad to hear some comments about joining the police department.

It seems like one of the better paying jobs out there for people without a Bachelor's degree, and they pay tuition reimbursement for officers to pursue a degree. Two years ago when I quit school, I would have never imagined myself becoming an officer, but now it's becoming more and more attractive an option (in my opinion, any government job is a good job with this economy).

How often do they bring in new cadet classes? How dangerous is it really?

Thanks guys.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
It is rather dangerous in Chicago to be a cop. However, the pay is good. I believe the starting pay is in the 50s for first year. plus great benefits, but you do hear every week that some officer got shot
Every week, huh?

Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Every week, huh?
That seems a little too often to me also. Granted, I'm from a small town and the only city that I've lived in, Austin, TX, doesn't have much crime to speak of, but it's hard to imagine that officers get shot that often.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
That seems a little too often to me also. Granted, I'm from a small town and the only city that I've lived in, Austin, TX, doesn't have much crime to speak of, but it's hard to imagine that officers get shot that often.
It seems too often because it doesn't happen that often. I'm not minimizing the fact that being a cop can be dangerous, but it's just not true that cops get shot in Chicago every week.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
City has decent web site for this stuff:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/2007_08ClassificatonPayPlan_1.pdf (broken link) (cops are on page 119)

City of Chicago - Public Safety Service

Unfortunately they get FAR MORE people taking the test then there is room to hire, so they have a HUGE waiting list of people. Eventually the list of people that passed the test gets too old and they offer another test. It is usually kind of "big news" but for those without connections it is easy for your test results to, ah, get lost....

Old 12-17-2008, 03:26 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
One of my childhood neighbors, Charles Greinke, became a Chicago policeman. I don't know how that is for him and his family, although I do still keep in touch with his mother. He is, at least, still alive!

Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
I have both an uncle and an aunt on both sides of my family (in otherwords, not married to eachother)who served the CPD. My uncle retired a while back and my aunt is about 3 years from retirement. The biggest complaint I have heard from them is just the stuff you're exposed to. I think it grates on the psyche after a while and when you spend day in and day out dealing with the bottom of the scum barrel, it tends to affect your attitude and outlook on life. I've seen them both become a bit more jaded and cynical, but they've raised kids and paid off a house on that income.....so.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I'm sure cops get shot from time to time but every week, that's doubtful!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:41 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
My uncle and aunt don't have any "shot at" stories, but they do have others. Domestic violence, muggings, car jackings, burglaries, you know.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago