Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 AM

11 posts, read 31,398 times

Advertisements

Ok...I've decided that I want to move to Chicago. I currently live in Griffith, Indiana (Northwest Indiana) and I work in Portage, Indiana. However, since I work in Portage, Indiana and there is not any forseeable change in the economy I am going to stay where I am at. But I would like to live in the city and have access to all the great things. Because Northwest Indiana just doesn't do it for a single guy. I am currently 26 and single and I have a steady job.

I would like to live on the Southside where I have easy access to I-90/94 to get to work, but I don't want to live in a terrible neighborhood.

I've been examing such places as Hyde Park, Bridgeport, near Southside, and other neighborhood in those areas. However, I am looking for something around $500 per month for a one bedroom or $1000 for a two bedroom with free heat. Does anybody have some suggestions for a person in my situation?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,201 times
I think the key question is how urban a lifestyle you want? If you are young and single and want a little street vibe and perhaps a little night life the answer will be different than if you're happier with a quiet, more family oriented neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskmaster23 View Post
Ok...I've decided that I want to move to Chicago. I currently live in Griffith, Indiana (Northwest Indiana) and I work in Portage, Indiana. However, since I work in Portage, Indiana and there is not any forseeable change in the economy I am going to stay where I am at. But I would like to live in the city and have access to all the great things. Because Northwest Indiana just doesn't do it for a single guy. I am currently 26 and single and I have a steady job.

I would like to live on the Southside where I have easy access to I-90/94 to get to work, but I don't want to live in a terrible neighborhood.

I've been examing such places as Hyde Park, Bridgeport, near Southside, and other neighborhood in those areas. However, I am looking for something around $500 per month for a one bedroom or $1000 for a two bedroom with free heat. Does anybody have some suggestions for a person in my situation?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,593 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Im not too familiar with the southside. But if your looking for a good area I would think 500 per month for a one bedroom is going to be extremely difficult.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM

I am looking for a little nightlife, but nothing like wrigleyville. Does that help?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,620 times
How about Pullman (the south end)? It's right by I-90/94. There's no nightlife to speak of, but being so close to the x-way, you can be downtown very quickly.

Here are a few from Craigslist:

Unique Quiet Neighborhood in Historic Pullman (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/940471578.htmlhttp://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/939471132.htmlhttp://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/943119732.html - broken link)

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/940471578.html (broken link)

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/939471132.html (broken link)

Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I am looking for a little nightlife, but nothing like wrigleyville. Does that help?
I don't know. As a young single person I probably wouldn't live on the south side, other than maybe the south loop or university village (your two-bedroom price will only get you a one bedroom, though). Hyde Park is great if you're part of the UofC world but otherwise it will appear dull (unless you had kids). Beverly is also beautiful and would be a good commute for you but it is more of a family neighborhood (even though there are some good restaurants, bars, and cafes it is missing the sort of 20-30 year-old single people to make them feel right). Personally, if I were you I would live in blue Island. It has a little action and feels kind of interesting and is very cheap, easy transport to city, etc. You might want to check it out.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I don't know. As a young single person I probably wouldn't live on the south side, other than maybe the south loop or university village (your two-bedroom price will only get you a one bedroom, though). Hyde Park is great if you're part of the UofC world but otherwise it will appear dull (unless you had kids). Beverly is also beautiful and would be a good commute for you but it is more of a family neighborhood (even though there are some good restaurants, bars, and cafes it is missing the sort of 20-30 year-old single people to make them feel right). Personally, if I were you I would live in blue Island. It has a little action and feels kind of interesting and is very cheap, easy transport to city, etc. You might want to check it out.
So, what I am hearing is, if you want nightlife, you move to a area other than the Southside, like Lakeview/Wrigleywillve. So, basically where I was looking is as good as it is going to get? I mean, I am already bored and live where there is no nightlife to speak of, I am just wanting to live closer without all the traffic where I-94/90 and I-290 come together. I'd prefer to stay off the Metra because they don't run as frequently as the CTA.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:22 AM

Basically, but as I said you can check out South Loop, University Village, and parts of Pilsen also. I don't think you would be bored there.

Metra from Blue Island is better than you might think (it is a hub), and commute to Indiana will be much easier.

Quote:
So, what I am hearing is, if you want nightlife, you move to a area other than the Southside, like Lakeview/Wrigleywillve. So, basically where I was looking is as good as it is going to get? I mean, I am already bored and live where there is no nightlife to speak of, I am just wanting to live closer without all the traffic where I-94/90 and I-290 come together. I'd prefer to stay off the Metra because they don't run as frequently as the CTA.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,849 times
Check out Beverly. At 95th you can hop right on the Calumet for work and IMO there's more culture/nightlife in this neighborhood than anywhere else on the far south side. Rent is going to be hard - I am not current on this but its going to be hard to find something in your price range.

You could probably rent a one bedroom in Blue Island for $500 or close to it. Go to the BI library and get the local paper, THe Forum, and there's always a couple cheap apartments for rent listed there. I have no idea of their quality. Olde Western Avenue has some nightlife, but the big draw would be readily available transit into the City.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Hyde Park- you can get a studio for $550+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago