Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM

259 posts, read 840,365 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Houston,TX but living in South Florida and like many others, I am trying to get away as quickly as possible for various reasons. I am looking for a huge change of pace but a place that I can feel comfortable enough to call home.
My question is how strong is the caribbean community in Chi-town? (Hope it doesn't sound like a silly question) I'm pretty sure it is not as strong as south Flo. but does it at least exist? Are there any summer international festivals, maybe grocery stores, or reggae clubs? Can I get a beef patty in the winter? Or should I leave all of that stuff at the door? lol
It's something that I'm used to but it's not a requirement.
Just wanted some opinions..Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 06:37 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,324 times
The main Caribbean community in Chicago is Puerto Rican. There are a number of good Puerto Rican restaurants and clubs in the city. Even though I really don't think "Carribbean community" when I think Puerto Rican. There are 2 reggae clubs that I can think of off hand, Exedus II & the Wild Hare. Both are right across the street from each other on Clark St., a block south of Wrigley Field. There has been the Chicago Reggae Festival the past two summers in Union Park on Randolph & Ogden. Also, there are a few Jamaican & Belizean restaurants on Howard St. in Rogers Park.

You can get beef patties at the Caribbean-American Baking Co. at 1539 W. Howard on the north side. Those sound GOOD!

Last edited by Mister Mappy; 10-23-2008 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: beef patty info

Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
I always meant to ask if there was any sort of Haitian community in Chicago, or at least any good Haitian restaurants. Mister Mappy, do you know if that place sells Jamaican beef patties or Haitian beef patties? either way, I may go check it out

Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I always meant to ask if there was any sort of Haitian community in Chicago, or at least any good Haitian restaurants...
I believe many of the Haitians in Chicago are in Uptown and Rogers Park with a few still in Edgewater...

As far as Haitian restaurants I do not know...

Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 AM

259 posts, read 840,365 times
Thanks guys!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:31 AM

142 posts, read 431,918 times
There's a smallish but still significant afro-carribbean community in the chatham neighborhood. I went down there one day to have lunch at Yassa restaurant with a friend of mine who's from senegal, and noticed a lot of carribbean groceries and etc.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:30 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Each summer there is a Caribbean festival and an African festival in Washington Park; the location of Chicago's cricket fields. Evanston has a vibrant Carribean community and a Haitian alderman. You may want to check it out, too.

Hyde Park's state senator, Kwame Raoul (the guy who took Obama's seat) is of Haitian extraction.

The north side has a plethora of Carribean and Nigerian restaurants, too.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 16,445 times
Not to thread jack

but

What about Ethiopian or Italian people???

Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift08 View Post
Not to thread jack

but

What about Ethiopian or Italian people???
A lot of Ethiopians ARE Italian people!

But check out the Ethiopian restaurant on Chicago Avenue near Dempster in Evanston. You wanna talk? Check out the newstands in the Merchandise Mart and the Apparel Center. All the sales folk are Ethiopian. And quite a few of them are hot young ladies.

As for Italians, we've had many threads about them.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
A lot of Ethiopians ARE Italian people!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago