Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,081,171 times

Advertisements

Passe, complimentary or not I just think it sounds really stupid (purely phonetically). Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
How can it be passe when Will Smith raps about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but I had to comment. I, and I think a lot of locals hate "Chi-town". I'm sure others will correct me if they are ok with that name for Chicago. I'm not trying to start a fight, but that name is just yuck.
I actually hate it. Probably 95% of people that were born in Chicago and/or grew up here never call it Chi-town.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 PM

56 posts, read 143,167 times
Chicago (and the whole country for that matter) sure seems to have more "spas" than ever.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:39 PM

21 posts, read 44,455 times
Quote:
If Big Willie Style raps about it...I dig it!!! doh

Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM

37 posts, read 104,079 times
Yes, the healthcare field is always in demand. Healthcare admin is business related.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
... and it's usually meant in a complimentary fashion; i.e Chicago is "cool", "avant-garde", "fun", etc.

I've also heard extensive use of the word "Chicagoland", and I think it's appropriate, since the suburbs are so vast and deserve to be included in any area discussion.

There are many jaded East Coasters who think that the Midwest is fly-over country, but then when I ask "What about Chicago?", they reconsider, and say, "Yeah, Chicago is pretty cool...".
MassVt, "cool" is definitely how I meant it. But you know, there are some, unfortunately, who forgot we all have the freedom of speech. I asked what I thought to be an intelligent question and out of about 12 posts, only 3 pertain to the question asked. I'm "old" school" (41) and some of us old people refer to places that we really like by their nickname. Thanks MassVt for reminding those who took offense to what I said that CHICAGO is referred to more than it's actual name. If I offended anyone, please accept my apology.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM

332 posts, read 525,696 times
Health Care is huge here. The American Medical Associaton is in the loop. The American Society of Anesthesiologists is in Park Ridge. There's University of Chicago hospitals, Rush, Cook County, Northwestern, Loyola, etc. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that 1 in 5 doctors in the US had at least part of their training (med school, residency, and/or fellowship) in Chicago.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,727,436 times
Quote:
Or Boz Scaggs:

Lido missed the boat that day he left the shack
But that was all he missed and he ain't comin' back
A tombstone bar in a jukejoint car, he made a stop
Just long enough to grab a handle off the top
Next stop Chi town, Lido put the money down and let it roll

Old 10-24-2008, 04:13 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,994,520 times
Bronzelady, sorry; I started it. I didn't mean it as a slam, just as friendly advice that if you're going to live here, that a lot of people don't like the term. To me it would be like going to San Francisco and calling it Frisco.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Bronzelady, sorry; I started it. I didn't mean it as a slam, just as friendly advice that if you're going to live here, that a lot of people don't like the term. To me it would be like going to San Francisco and calling it Frisco.
No harm done, Knitgirl. All's forgiven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago