Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 34,655 times

Advertisements

Jessiegirl, I just read your response - thanks for your insight. I have heard similar sentiments about the legal market in Chicago, and it makes me nervous. He's been looking for a job for over a year, but no one seems willing to take a chance on someone who's out of state. I'm hoping his chances are better when he can claim a Chicago address, but even then, I know it won't be easy.

Sorry, I don't mean to go off topic, but if anyone knows someone who is looking for an attorney with contracts/banking experience, DM me )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
While I usually agree with Sukwoo, I do think the housing costs he mentioned are inflated bit and the parking costs are too low. I live about two blocks north of Lakeview (near Irving Park Road and Lakeshore Drive) in a 1400 SF 2 BR 1 Bath condo, and it was under $300K in 2005. It needed a minimal amount of cosmetic work, but was basically a well-kept vintage place with no major problems. In today's market you could find a similar place actually IN Lakeview for under $300K, while new-construction would be more. Going south in Lakeview adds more cost, and will get you into that $400K range.

We don't have deeded parking, but have found that it costs about $35K in northern Lakeview for indoor and $20K for outdoor (so add that to your home price if you buy a place where it's included). We rent an indoor space in a nearby high-rise for $200 a month, which would basically pay the mortgage on a deeded spot, so I strongly recommend getting deeded parking with your condo instead of renting it (we goofed that one up).

My wife and I are quite comfortable in Chicago, though having a kid has cramped our budget a bit. When we were childless we felt we could easily afford a larger mortgage on our combined salary, but I will say that adding even one kid in the mix is a huge budget buster in Chicago. Since you're married and the real estate market is uncertain, I would recommend buying a place you could still afford with one child--just in case! We have found daycare costs on the North Side and Downtown for an infant to range anywhere from $1200 to $2000 a month, depending on the location and "prestige" of the daycare. Nannies are even more than that high range. So having a kid in the city can really pinch your wallet long before schools become an issue.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
My bad. I was thinking new construction housing in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park although my post didn't really reflect that thinking.

Also, as is obvious, the real estate market is getting whacked big time, so there are deals to be had (assuming you can get a mortgage.)

Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco79 View Post
Jessiegirl, I just read your response - thanks for your insight. I have heard similar sentiments about the legal market in Chicago, and it makes me nervous. He's been looking for a job for over a year, but no one seems willing to take a chance on someone who's out of state. I'm hoping his chances are better when he can claim a Chicago address, but even then, I know it won't be easy.

Sorry, I don't mean to go off topic, but if anyone knows someone who is looking for an attorney with contracts/banking experience, DM me )
I don't know of any openings. Sorry

Has your husband passed the bar in Illinois yet?

Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 34,655 times
Thanks anyway

No, he has not passed the bar in Illinois yet. Do you think that is something that employers will expect before they hire him? His current employer was happy to have him take after they hired him, but that was right out of law school.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I moved from Iowa and live on the north side of Chicago, and I'm 29 years old.

Groceries - didn't notice a differece at all. Sadly, it's cheaper here than it was when I went to Hy-Vee back home last month, good god.

Car - if you're working downtown than you probably won't drive much. Traffic is a pain, parking is a pain. It obviously depends on where you live. I had my car for 18 months and then finally dumped it because I realized I spent a lot of money on it, and never really used it. The last time it broke down, I kissed it goodbye and was rid of it forever. SO MUCH happier without. Totally depends on the neighborhood you're in though. I had a $75 monthly pass on the CTA and it works beautifully.

I make $60K and have a 1 bedroom condo in Buena Park with more than enough money left over for taking trips, savings and partying.

If you're making $100K, don't have a ton of debt and know how to handle your money - you'll be totally fine.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
The truth of the matter is that two elementary school teachers clear $100K in Chicago, so if you and your husband are both working professional jobs you should be fine. I think that a DINK salary of $100K would put you in the low end of incomes for condo owners the areas of the city you're looking. But the under $300K condos can certainly be found, even in the South Loop (though the area known as the "South Loop" seems to be expanding each year as realtors try to sell units).

And renting is another story. Even the Gold Coast has renters squeaking by on $35K. Renters have the best run of this town.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 AM

38 posts, read 106,225 times
you can try the west loop to, we live there now and we love it. Decent amenities nearby, and buses that take us where we want to go.

some really nice 1 bdroom condos for 200-300k, 2bdrooms for more obviously

btw - you might want to rent first just so you can get a handle on which neighborhood matches your lifestyle

Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco79 View Post
Thanks anyway

No, he has not passed the bar in Illinois yet. Do you think that is something that employers will expect before they hire him? His current employer was happy to have him take after they hired him, but that was right out of law school.

Yeah, I actually think he'll have trouble until he takes (and passes the bar). Most employers will expect that. Even right out of law school, everyone I know that didn't work for a big firm or the state didn't get a job until after the bar results were in (e.g., November-ish). If he has a lot of good experience, does federal law, or worked at a big firm, that may not be as big of a deal.
That being said, there are a lot of legal temp agencies in Chicago. My advice would be to apply to work through the legal temp agencies while he studies for and takes the bar. My friend worked for one and he was making around $50 an hour. He did this while studying for the Mass. bar (he was moving). I've had other friends who have moved here for a year or two and did a similar thing.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM

61 posts, read 197,947 times
I own a condo in River North.... The 2BRs in my building go for 550-650k depending on the floor/view. It really depends on how "in the city" you want to be tho. Parking will tack on another 35-45k in this immediate vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: