Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew C. Sheffer View Post
move to the suburbs. There's nothing more annoying than trying to enjoy a night out with other adults after a hellish week of work and having to deal with people inappopriately taking their kids to places that were CLEARLY designed for adults. Not that I am saying that you would do that--it's just a perception issue with many Chicagoans. Why not buy a house out in the 'burbs and bring the little kiddies in to the city when there is something age appropriate for them to do?
I'm searching for a sentence that rhymes with yo truck door shelf...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 24,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm searching for a sentence that rhymes with yo truck door shelf...
witty.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 20,205 times
Once you do move to the city AND have kids you should check out Kidwinks - Children's Activities, Family Restaurant Reviews, Children's Events and Children's Shopping they have tons of information about things to do and places to go with kids. They even send out a newsletter that highlights whats going on.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,825 times
Talking about downtown neighborhoods, and near North Side areas...there are tons of activities for kids and plenty of available support as far as day care centers, reputable sitters, great schools, plenty of top notch instructional centers, athetic centers with kid centered programs, etc. Most places you live in the city you will be able to quickly meet other parents in a similar path. The challenge for most people moving to the city with kids is not the ability to find good services, support but the cost of them. In a city like Chicago having the best and having the affordable could make for two completely different childhoods.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 PM
p&c

10 posts, read 25,636 times
There's a related post about raising a family in Chicago at:

I Heart Chicago « ParentZing!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 AM

51 posts, read 199,306 times
Great thread. Thanks for posting it. I am planning to move to Chicago in March 2010 with my 2 kids. I'm very excited about it. We have been there many times and we love it. I can tell you I started a conversation with a family who moved to lakeview. They could not stop saying how much they love it in Chicago. Wised they had moved sooner.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM

13 posts, read 31,649 times
LOTS of families with kids in the city. Esp. in the South Loop, I can tell you. Also a very active local mom-and-tots group with group activities and such. Raising kids in the city seems to be a lot more popular now than it was say, 15 years ago. You won't be lacking for co-conspirators

Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There is a big difference between living in Chicago, then having a child, then figuring out all the hoops to jump through to get into a school that is not miserable VS moving to Chicago with a child that is already of school age.

There are an awful lot of CPS schools that are miserable and the amount of legwork one needs to do to avoid them makes it very difficult to do in the typically short time that families have relocation.

I encourage people that are committed to being actively involved in their child's education to think long and hard before moving to Chicago with school age children.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 AM

20 posts, read 104,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS311 View Post
My husband and I are contemplating moving to Chicago from St. Louis ... we are also trying to get pregnant. Just wanted to get everyone's take on living in the City and raising kids!!! We are looking in the Gold Coast, North Side, Lincoln Park area . . .

Thanks!!!
Lincoln Park is a great place to raise kids if you can afford it. Its a young/hip neighborhood. People always out walking their dogs, kids playing outside, always something going on. There are several good schools in the area also. It's definitely going to be more fun for the kids than an area like the Gold Coast (older crowd) and safer than neighborhoods such as Rogers Park on the north side.

I have lived all over the North/West/Central parts of the city and can honestly say Lincoln Park is by far one of my favorite areas. My younger siblings go to school in Lincoln Park, I went to High School and college there and my grandparents live in the area. It is such a great neighborhood...especially in the summer when there is so much going on. Plus... you're close to the El, parks and lakefront.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
Yes, but I also encourage people who are committed to the urban lifestyle with kids to speak with other people who have found adequate resolution to the public school problem before totally giving up on the idea and fleeing to the suburbs.

Also, there are great private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is a big difference between living in Chicago, then having a child, then figuring out all the hoops to jump through to get into a school that is not miserable VS moving to Chicago with a child that is already of school age.

There are an awful lot of CPS schools that are miserable and the amount of legwork one needs to do to avoid them makes it very difficult to do in the typically short time that families have relocation.

I encourage people that are committed to being actively involved in their child's education to think long and hard before moving to Chicago with school age children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago