Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessatar View Post
Michigan groceries are not taxed at all. One of the many things I am having a hard time getting used to...
I thought it was 4 or 6% or something? Maybe that's just the general sales tax. I can't remember, it's been a VERY long time since I lived in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How so?
Well, my car's a '98. Here, that's 40 bucks. It's been a while since I lived in SC, but I'm pretty sure taxes were assessed based on the vehicle's value, and it's somewhere between 6 and 10% annually.

Granted, if I drove a newer car, it'd be more expensive, but I barely use my car here anyway...

Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, my car's a '98. Here, that's 40 bucks. It's been a while since I lived in SC, but I'm pretty sure taxes were assessed based on the vehicle's value, and it's somewhere between 6 and 10% annually.

Granted, if I drove a newer car, it'd be more expensive, but I barely use my car here anyway...
Did you have to buy a city sticker (a tax) there? How much was your plate sticker (a tax) there compared to here? Do you have permit parking (a tax) in your area? Gas taxes are way higher here as well as insurance. Granted these fees are not your "normal" form of taxes, but they are taxes. I am sure it costs more to have a car here than in SC.

Our parking and moving violations have to cost more here as well.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am trying to hit on all angles.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Did you have to buy a city sticker (a tax) there? How much was your plate sticker (a tax) there compared to here? Do you have permit parking (a tax) in your area? Gas taxes are way higher here as well as insurance. Granted these fees are not your "normal" form of taxes, but they are taxes. I am sure it costs more to have a car here than in SC.

Our parking and moving violations have to cost more here as well.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am trying to hit on all angles.
I get you. I was just referring to traditional vehicle taxes. The plate sticker doesn't close the gap, but the city sticker makes it closer and probably closes the gap. Gas is more here, but I need to drive far less. Parking violations suck, but I haven't gotten a moving violation since I've moved to Chicago (knock on wood.) SC cops are crazy, and I got 3 in my SC days, plus 1 in NC... I've slowed down a lot...

Anyway, tying back to the original topic, Chicago is more expensive in a lot of areas. Housing. Insurance. Etc. The big stuff.

However, I, personally, do pay less for a lot of things (including groceries. Both in taxes and in actual cost).

Old 09-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I get you. I was just referring to traditional vehicle taxes. The plate sticker doesn't close the gap, but the city sticker makes it closer and probably closes the gap. Gas is more here, but I need to drive far less. Parking violations suck, but I haven't gotten a moving violation since I've moved to Chicago (knock on wood.) SC cops are crazy, and I got 3 in my SC days, plus 1 in NC... I've slowed down a lot...

Anyway, tying back to the original topic, Chicago is more expensive in a lot of areas. Housing. Insurance. Etc. The big stuff.

However, I, personally, do pay less for a lot of things (including groceries. Both in taxes and in actual cost).
Ok that is fair. Of course a bunch has to do with where you shop and if you get stuff on sale. I do not disagree that a sharp person can make things be a wash or come out better, but it is hard to do for those not accustomed to being on the ball. (Which many people are not)

Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,029 times
A lot of us in Lincoln park here do not really pay much attention to the cost of groceries for cost of gas for that matter

Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
A lot of us in Lincoln park here do not really pay much attention to the cost of groceries for cost of gas for that matter
Well. That's not very smart, is it?

"A lot of us in Lincoln Park".... It's not a different world, man. I live, like, 3 neighborhoods away...

Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Good for you. When your income tax rate gets raised do not come crying here then. When a bum urinates on your car do not come crying here. When your property tax gets raised do not come crying here either.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM

132 posts, read 461,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I thought it was 4 or 6% or something? Maybe that's just the general sales tax. I can't remember, it's been a VERY long time since I lived in Michigan.
Non-groceries are 6%.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:

Wow. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. And what a generalization Let's trying speaking for yourself here AND realize that all credibility has just been shot!

In Tampa, there was no tax on groceries.....that was nice, but the city sucked and, as the other poster suggested, I was spending soooo much more on gas because I had to drive everywhere (I had to fill up 2-4 times per week!!!!!!!!). Everything else was cheaper though...... BUT I'd rather pay taxes on groceries, more on general living and live in Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago